Jag Doom

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Jag Doom

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:52 pm

This is actually pretty good. I did try and play this on the 3DO and the PC and the game never really grabbed me. I ordered a copy off-of eBay and behold, I've been playing it for two hours solid. good stuff. The 3DO version is quite poor.

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:20 am

Ya, I heard / read the 3DO port was rushed, or something. Though I did notice something about the 3DO version of Doom. Although the framerate is poor, the resolution is VERY good. Even using just AV cables, 3DO Doom looked super-sharp on my 35 inch Trinitron. Noticeably more so than the Jag, 32X, PS or SNES versions.

I wonder if this is the reason they had such a hard time with the framerate? They set the resolution too high, therefore it ran choppy? Maybe.. The music is great on the 3DO version though. I still found it playable, but ya, not as good as the Jag version. Not even as good as the 32X version... I'd call it equal between the 3DO and SNES versions. The SNES version runs smooth enough, but they really hacked the graphics to hell. It barely resembles Doom at times. Whereas the 3DO version retains that traditional Doom look and looks very sharp. Just a shame about the framerate and the control is not the best.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Jag Doom

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 am

Jaguar doom is a great game. Shame as always gets mentioned no in game music but still plays fast and smooth and well. Can tell it was programmed with love directly by Carmack himself. Jag doom with the 3DO music would have been very good.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:05 pm

As much as I admire the Jaguar version of Doom, I think mentioning the lack of in-game music is perfectly justified. It really is nice to have a soundtrack on a game like Doom; some folks may prefer without, but they're in the minority.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 am

I agree. Dooms soundtrack is awesome and when you play the snes version and hear how good it sounds you do wonder why they decided/were forced to go without it. Obviously back then it was an impressive enough game for me not to remember it being mentioned over the massive praise doom and avp got as the two system selling games. Is true from the versions I have played so far they all have flaws the lack of the killer soundtrack does hurt it but its still a great game. Do like playing it with the headphones on and hearing the reworked music on the much maligned 3DO one. I can handle it on the snes so the screen size and frame rate issues are not fatal flaws

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 am

IF PPL STILL OWN SUCH CONTRAPTIONS...

I just put the 3DO disc in my *wait for it*... "Hi-Fi" whilst I play the Jag version 8)

Works for me...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 am

Really? How does that work?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sun May 03, 2015 12:25 am

I recently posted the interview with John Romero that we did at Revival 2014 on You Tube for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fJcZWmlBKU

Also been reading some comments elsewhere regarding John Romero and Jag Doom. Having met him and spent a whole weekend with him and his lovely wife at Revival last year they seem a bit strange. While Romero helped design Doom he had absolutely nothing to do with the Jaguar version and told me that to my face, that was all left to Carmack. Romero is not/never was a hardware guy, he was more of a designer and visionary and still really enjoys playing games. Carmack was the coder and the tech guy and he once stated in an interview that Jag Doom wasn't pushing the Jag that hard and he could have made it run a lot better had he had more time to do it and the benefit of hindsight as he was still very much learning the machine. So the comment that the Jag could barely handle Doom is obviously nonsense, especially when you consider just how good the port is. I actually had Romero sign my Jag Doom and he played on it at the event too, we actually had a nice chat about just how great Jag Doom is, so that makes these new comments even more baffling. It's not like I was the only person talking to him either, so the old Liard shit can't bear its childish head.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Re:

Post by Gunstar » Tue May 05, 2015 2:38 am

KevInCal wrote:Ya, I heard / read the 3DO port was rushed, or something. Though I did notice something about the 3DO version of Doom. Although the framerate is poor, the resolution is VERY good. Even using just AV cables, 3DO Doom looked super-sharp on my 35 inch Trinitron. Noticeably more so than the Jag, 32X, PS or SNES versions.

I wonder if this is the reason they had such a hard time with the framerate? They set the resolution too high, therefore it ran choppy? Maybe.. The music is great on the 3DO version though. I still found it playable, but ya, not as good as the Jag version. Not even as good as the 32X version... I'd call it equal between the 3DO and SNES versions. The SNES version runs smooth enough, but they really hacked the graphics to hell. It barely resembles Doom at times. Whereas the 3DO version retains that traditional Doom look and looks very sharp. Just a shame about the framerate and the control is not the best.
It's not higher resolution on the 3DO version, but the 3DO's hardware (forgive me if I use the wrong word here) interpolation. Basically everything on the 3DO is displayed on a CRT TV (just like your Trinitron) in full 480i, whereas those other consoles display at 240p (skipping every other scanline) so the 3DO picture is sharper, even though the actual resolution of the game is ~320x240, it's diplayed within a 640x480i "window". This advantage disappears with modern TV's since they don't use scanlines and use all the pixels on-screen regardless of the source resolution.

Though, I do know that in the Jag version it has a horizontal resolution of only 160, and the 3DO version may be ~320, I haven't played it, and it's possible that the other versions (all being ports from the jag) may also have used 160 for horizontal res...so maybe you are seeing a better resolution at least horizontally.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:55 am

Jag Doom has been ported to the 32X via the Calico version and it now outperforms the original JagDoom in many ways. Speed resolution original textures back in etc. And only getting better.

If anybody wants to know what JagDoom could have been here it is.

https://youtu.be/kKz9ItBdodw

Textures back in.

https://youtu.be/Wn0kDOP2k-c
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman