Games that the Jag would have conquered the earth with.

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Games that the Jag would have conquered the earth with.

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 pm

While I like T2K, Defender 2000 and Missile command there are, of cause, other games the Jag could have done justice to. This is assuming that Atari's only friends were Atari (and perhaps the Gods) Here are my suggestions:

- Starwars wireframe 2000 (This would have been the mega-ton)
Every Starwars game since the original Wireframe one has been a constant and never ending anti-climax. This would have fixed that conclusively.

- Battlezone 2000 as above.

- Asteroids 2000 as above.

The above really needed the Jeff Minter touch. None of that 3D pap, plain, naked, wireframe models done to the ultra extreme.

- Smash TV the Jags 2D skill could have won here too.

- Hard DRivin' (well, I liked it!)

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am

Tomb Raider was originally designed / planned for the Jag. Would have helped a lot.

RayMan was orginally designed / planned for the Jag. Would have helped had it stayed a Jag exclusive and Rayman 2 come out on the Jag CD (but not the 3d Rayman 2, the 2d RayMan 2.. ;)).

Mortal Kombat 3 was supposed to come out for the Jag CD. Would have been great]

Black Ice / White Noise may have been a groundbreaking game. It's reminiscint of Grand Theft Auto 3 on the PS2! Sort of...

If Sega had ported some of their games to the Jag, would have helped tons. Sega and Atari had worked out some sort of cross platforming deal in 1995 or 1996. Never came to fruition though.

Tetrisphere for the N64 was originally a Jag / Jag CD game. Turned out to be an awesome game on the N64. Would have helped the Jag a good deal.

AvP 2 on the Jag CD would have been awesome. Doom II on the Jag CD would have been killer.

The Virtual Reality helmet could have been awesome.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:00 am

KevInCal wrote:Black Ice / White Noise may have been a groundbreaking game. It's reminiscint of Grand Theft Auto 3 on the PS2! Sort of...
BI/WN would have been killer if ever finished and would have pushed the Jag towards the top! But GTA3 gets too much credit when Shenmue did it years before on the DC and did it better.

AVP games that came out for the PC would have been awesome.

Exclusive licenses for Earthworm Jim 1&2 would have been a dominator.

Full Throttle from LucasArts for the CD.

Exclusive licensing for Duke Nukem 3D... not that it could have happened.

A true port of Final Doom, not that watered down version that was shamefully made for the playstation.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:40 am

Really? Star Wars, Battlezone, and Asteroids updates still in wireframe? I dunno about that. As fun as they could have been, I think they'd AT LEAST have to be Gouraud shaded to be system sellers. I suspect gamers of the 90s would have looked at wireframes and said "What? That's it? I thought this was supposed to be 64-bit! This looks like it's from 1980!"

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 am

>I suspect gamers of the 90s would have looked at wireframes and said "What? That's it? I thought this was supposed to be 64-bit! This looks like it's from 1980!"

As a gamer of the 90's, I can say for sure, NO WAY.

I would have said "Finally! Someone has gotten it right!! It's about time!

There is an appeal to the classic wireframe games that shading and textures would only ruin. Not that they might not be good games, but they wouldn't have been Star Wars, Asteroids, BattleZone, Red Baron, Star Castle, etc..

If I had the money, I would have bought a Jag, if ONLY for Tempest 2000.
(It's still on my list, and I'm a Jeff Minter fan.)

But those were my college years, so no consoles. :-(

I had to settle for playing Continuum on the Macs at school. (That was a fun game too!!!)

Just my $0.00002
desiv

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:23 am

Look at Rez on the DC. There is a whole bunch of wireframe games on PSN/Live! And I agree, I would have loved a lovingly-done upgrade to the original wireframes. Textures were shoe horned on, even flat polygons often didn't look right.

I remember being appalled at Frontier on the Amiga. It wasn't necessary.

There is a big difference between cool and what the public wants. I think there was an assumption at the time the public wanted 'textures' when instead 'cool' would have been better.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:40 pm

I was talking on a Vectrex board about games that would make good Vectrex games.
Someone mentioned something called VIB Ribbon for the Playstation.
I'd never heard of it, so I googled it. I almost went out and bought a Playstation just for that. I still will when I can get one cheap.

Yes, it's wireframe, but AWESOME!!!
(Have to look up REZ now...)

desiv

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 am

BI/WN would have been killer if ever finished and would have pushed the Jag towards the top! But GTA3 gets too much credit when Shenmue did it years before on the DC and did it better.
Darn right! 8)