Jag games that would've been great on 3DO

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Jag games that would've been great on 3DO

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:56 pm

A few ...

NBA Jam - It went to almost every other console, why not 3DO? Would have been a great compliment to Slam n' Jam.

Pinball Fantasies - 3DO needed a good traditional pinball game (PaTaank was too niche and Real Pinball was poor) Imagine this ported w/the CD quality tunes of the CD32 version ...

Raiden - Need I explain this one?

I picked these 3 mainly because they would've nicely filled gaps in the 3DO library. There are others though to be sure ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Iron Soldier. This game is awesome.
Power Rally. Topdown racers, 3DO had none.
Pitfall. Looks awesome.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:09 pm

3DOKid wrote:Iron Soldier. This game is awesome.
Pitfall. Looks awesome.
Good choices! I had forgotten about Power Drive Rally, but your right, 3DO could've used a top-down racer. PDR is one of my favs on the Jag.

And imagine Iron Soldier w/textures! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Iron Soldier & Alien Vs Predator would have been good.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Trev wrote:And imagine Iron Soldier w/textures! :D
And that, my friend, is why they made Iron Soldier 3 for the PlayStation... *cough* and NUON. :lol:

Oh yeah, I also agree the system could have used a more traditional, GOOD Pinball game. And some kind of shoot 'em up. And more platformers. And Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:And imagine Iron Soldier w/textures! :D
And that, my friend, is why they made Iron Soldier 3 for the PlayStation... *cough* and NUON. :lol:
Are the versions pretty much the same?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Between the PlayStation and NUON? Yeah, they are basically the same as far as I could tell. Textures are smoother in the NUON version, but that's basically it.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 am

I used to own a Nuon (the Toshiba model) It died on me and I haven't replaced it yet.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 am

I know it wasn't on the Jaguar but Metal Slug would have been cool to have on the 3DO.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:43 am

Skyhammer

Native (unreleased)

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:08 am

3DOKid wrote:Iron Soldier. This game is awesome.
Pitfall. Looks awesome.
The main reason Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure would be awesome on the 3DO is because as far as I know every console port included the original Atari 2600 game. Imagine playing that on the 3DO. Here's the Jaguar version someone so graciously uploaded to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTs82b48nVQ

Yeah, the sound effects are slightly different. It's Pitfall with a Jaguar controller.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 am

I agree that Pitfall on the 3DO would have been nice, particularly if it had the color count of the Jaguar version, and the CD soundtrack of the Sega CD version.

Sega CD version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixAg0BGSaI

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 pm

3DOKid wrote:Power Rally. Topdown racers, 3DO had none.
Sounds like the opening of a riddle. "Topdown racers, 3DO had none. This console's best racer, is 3DO's best racer's port." Or something like that. :)

Raiden is one I would definitely have had to get for the 3DO. I remember being blown away when I saw videos of the Jaguar version. It is the game that came closest to selling me a Jaguar. Good pick on that one, Trev.

Are we including Jaguar CD games here? If so, I'd have liked to see Vid Grid. I've been in love with FMV Puzzle games ever since I discovered the Girls in Motion series on the Saturn, and so far as I know, the 3DO doesn't have any. :(

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:31 am

How about tempest 2000? Even though it uses no 3DO capabilities, it was a hit on the jag, so why not 3'DO' it? 8)
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:51 am

Eh, it's a great game, but as far as I can tell it didn't perform very well on the other systems it was ported to (Saturn and PC; maybe PSX if you want to count Tempest X3, but that had a lot of changes to it).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Could the 3DO handle the power of Melt-O-Vision? :wink:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Austin wrote:Eh, it's a great game, but as far as I can tell it didn't perform very well on the other systems it was ported to (Saturn and PC; maybe PSX if you want to count Tempest X3, but that had a lot of changes to it).
I don't know about the PC version, but the Saturn version's not that bad. It's not as good as the Jaguar version, but it's about as accurate as ports come. Certainly I wouldn't say you're missing out on much if you don't get the Jaguar version.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Martin III wrote:I don't know about the PC version, but the Saturn version's not that bad. It's not as good as the Jaguar version, but it's about as accurate as ports come. Certainly I wouldn't say you're missing out on much if you don't get the Jaguar version.
What I meant by performance was sales performance. :) I don't think there's even a demand for it, yet copies of the Saturn game have dried up over the years--sometimes an indicator that it didn't do too well on the market in its heyday. Also, the 3DO died off the same year the Jaguar did (ironically), so there was probably little incentive for them to even bring it to the 3DO in the first place (not that Atari released any games on the platform to begin with).

But no, those ports are not bad at all. Missing some effects, but they actually run at a higher constant framerate (probably 60fps in the Saturn version, versus the Jaguar version's sometimes-smooth-but-mostly-inconsistent-when-a-lot-of-crap-is-happening-on-screen framerate). I still prefer the Jaguar version, but a lot of that has to do with the soundtrack (I prefer the cart-based soundtrack in this case as opposed to the CD OST they used--the cart stuff sounds thicker and beefier, with a more pronounced underlying bass).