Ratings on certain Jaguar games

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Ratings on certain Jaguar games

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:53 am

I've noticed a couple Jaguar games have interesting ratings ...

Are these just on the Williams published games? The 16 bit versions don't seem to carry them, so I was wondering why the Jag ports did? Is there a story behind it?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:04 am

This is just speculation, but I would assume that the law had not been put out that require the games to have ratings. It was probably right around the corner though and it would probably be better at that point to show that you support the idea of game ratings rather than do nothing. Not only that, maybe they feared that the law would require all games to be re-packaged or pulled from the shelf. It could of happen.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:01 am

BryWI wrote:This is just speculation, but I would assume that the law had not been put out that require the games to have ratings. It was probably right around the corner though and it would probably be better at that point to show that you support the idea of game ratings rather than do nothing. Not only that, maybe they feared that the law would require all games to be re-packaged or pulled from the shelf. It could of happen.
There isn't any sort of law saying they HAVE to have a rating on the game, at least in the United States. The whole Mortal Kombat fiasco though and the idea of supporting some sort of rating system certainly makes sense though.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks! I actually did not know that. But I was reading up on it some more and seems that some places will not sell games if it does not contain a rating. Also back then, could of been worried that it would become a law still.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm

But I was reading up on it some more and seems that some places will not sell games if it does not contain a rating.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the major console companies nowadays require that any commercial release carries an ESRB rating and that rating can be at max M. There was that pretty big fiasco around Manhunt 2 a couple years back due to this.
Also back then, could of been worried that it would become a law still.
Oh yeah, for sure. All of those "government inquiries" and such back then would've made that a legitimate concern.

Have you ever read about some of the stuff that went down in those old Congressional hearings? My favorite incident involved Nintendo's spokesman testifying before Congress that Nintendo it a family company, that they won't allow anything too violent, etc etc etc. When it Sega's turn to speak, their spokesman whips out a Super Scope, the SNES light gun, and starting ripping into Nintendo. "This is a family friendly toy, eh guys?"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:36 am

What makes me curious, is why only he Jag versions have ratings but the 16-bit versions don't? Were the Jag versions released long after the 16-bit ones?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5