shareware Heretic for the Jag

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Walter_j64bit » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Gunstar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 pm

I am desperately hoping this is not more vaporware like the other ten games that were supposed to come out using the JagDoom engine.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Despite my strong feelings about this guy this will be interesting to see. It looks like the major hurdlees has been overcome.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:34 am

Heretic! Very cool stuff. Hopefully this see's release. I always wondered back in the day why none of the consoles got this game as it really was good and would have been fun to play.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 am

very cool, but it looks more like an experiment than a project.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 am

sneth wrote:very cool, but it looks more like an experiment than a project.
Its very real trust me, It was me who posted this video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9U2pl1VUrs

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:25 am

A new video for you with enemies, collision detection and in-game music!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHHSXWfQdQ

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 pm

Hmm, now that caught my attention. I like me some Heretic and it looks pretty good thus far, although it would be nice to see more of the game, especially larger levels where it would "POSSIBLY" make the Jaguar stutter. Not saying it would as DOOM was fantastic on the Jaguar, but I would love to see later stuff in the game just to know. Nice little project though. Glad to see it moving forward. maybe some of you homebrewers would be nice enough to bring your talents to the 3DO as well?

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:33 am

I'm confused. Is "Stormworks" more than just Jeff ...and the other names he's used over the years? And when he says "shareware" does he mean "freeware," or does he not know the difference?
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 pm

T2KFreeker wrote:Hmm, now that caught my attention. I like me some Heretic and it looks pretty good thus far, although it would be nice to see more of the game, especially larger levels where it would "POSSIBLY" make the Jaguar stutter. Not saying it would as DOOM was fantastic on the Jaguar, but I would love to see later stuff in the game just to know. Nice little project though. Glad to see it moving forward. maybe some of you homebrewers would be nice enough to bring your talents to the 3DO as well?
Don't worry we will bring you more on this project very soon! :wink:
MegaData wrote:I'm confused. Is "Stormworks" more than just Jeff ...and the other names he's used over the years? And when he says "shareware" does he mean "freeware," or does he not know the difference?
Stormworks is rush6432 (aka Jeff) and Shaun (aka Jag_Slave). I am doing testing on Heretic for them :D

The source code of the Heretic engine was published in 1999 under a license that granted rights to non-commercial use, and was re-released under the GNU General Public License on September 4, 2008. This resulted in ports to Linux, Amiga and other operating systems, and updates to the Heretic engine to utilize 3D acceleration. The shareware version of a console port for the Dreamcast was also released.

The Jaguar version will be sold "not for profit" at cost price only, to meet the terms of this agreement. It will only be made in limited numbers and only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 am

Is it going to be CD or cart? Just curious since I can't buy it if it's only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum. I have the DC version already so I'm not heart broken. But love that a game this good is going up on the Jag.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 am

3DO Experience wrote:Is it going to be CD or cart? Just curious since I can't buy it if it's only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum. I have the DC version already so I'm not heart broken. But love that a game this good is going up on the Jag.
Cartridge.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 am

The Laird wrote:The Jaguar version will be sold "not for profit" at cost price only, to meet the terms of this agreement. It will only be made in limited numbers and only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum.
Ah well. I'm already an active member at TOO many forums as it is i.e. I spend TOO much time on forums as it is :wink:

I can't very well join up at RVG too, although Trek MD was kind enough to invite me over a while ago.

Guess I will have to pay the £600+ via eBay, a certain individual will be requesting for his copy, a smidgen after the initial run dries up, eh?

Glad to hear Stormworks Inter are still going. Thought they'd shut up shop for good, but glad they found the strength to keep moving forward, which above all else, is most important, in all paths of life....

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
The Laird wrote:The Jaguar version will be sold "not for profit" at cost price only, to meet the terms of this agreement. It will only be made in limited numbers and only sold to trusted/regular users of RVG forum.
Guess I will have to pay the £600+ via eBay, a certain individual will be requesting for his copy, a smidgen after the initial run dries up, eh?
Ouch! Now that HAD to hurt. Total burn man, total burn! LOL

Ninja, RVG isn't a bad little forum if you want to check it out. I love the Ouya section over there, just wish there was more going on for the Ouya at the moment so it was more active. Just saying.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Ninja, RVG isn't a bad little forum if you want to check it out. I love the Ouya section over there, just wish there was more going on for the Ouya at the moment so it was more active. Just saying.
I have no doubt that RVG, is in fact, a cool forum. But the issue for me remains, that I already frequent too many on a daily basis as it is! :mrgreen:

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote: Glad to hear Stormworks Inter are still going. Thought they'd shut up shop for good, but glad they found the strength to keep moving forward, which above all else, is most important, in all paths of life....
I think after the way they were disgracefully hounded out of AA and Blackout being put on a ROM site within a day of release they were. It was pretty much the good folk at RVG that encouraged them to keep on going, so they did thankfully.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Coffeejits » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Please define "trusted/regular" users of rvg. Do we have to have a certain number of posts before we are considered "trusted/regular".
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Coffeejits wrote:Please define "trusted/regular" users of rvg. Do we have to have a certain number of posts before we are considered "trusted/regular".
You can't see the whole forum anyway until you have 50 posts. As for trusted, that would just be down to the Stormworks guys who they trust. There are an awful lot of bad eggs in the Jaguar community unfortunately.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm

limited release is just going to cause even more drama.
The Jaguar community manufactures issues for itself.

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm

sneth wrote:limited release is just going to cause even more drama.
The Jaguar community manufactures issues for itself.
In this case I totally disagree, RVG is drama free and will stay that way. All the drama is over at AA.

Only sell the game to people who can be trusted and are not trolls or complete f**ktards = no problems.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:03 am

The Laird wrote:
Coffeejits wrote:Please define "trusted/regular" users of rvg. Do we have to have a certain number of posts before we are considered "trusted/regular".
You can't see the whole forum anyway until you have 50 posts. As for trusted, that would just be down to the Stormworks guys who they trust. There are an awful lot of bad eggs in the Jaguar community unfortunately.
I'm really sorry to hear how limited this is going to be. I agree that AA Jag forum sucks and understand there are a lot of bad eggs over there, I myself have stopped going there for just that reason. But I certainly don't know the RVG or Stormworks guys and am not a member of RVG. I will probably join, but I'm not sure that will matter much since 50 posts are required to get to the whole site (not enough time these days for even more forums) and I doubt just reaching 50 posts and hanging around RVG is what Stormworks has in mind for people they will release the rom too. It's disappointing that all the best Jag stuff ends up getting out to only a few "trusted friends" from so many different "circles" in the Jag community; that's exactly what continues to divide the community and fragment it even more. I'm totally disappointed, and not just because I probably won't fit into your "trusted circle" but for many others who are only Jag fans and want games like this and don't give a damn about the politics and hate and forced fragmenting of groups in the Jag community...if we can even call it a "community," more like just a bunch of different "in-crowd" circles... :roll: :evil: :(

P.S. I have not hate or anger directed at you The Laird, I'm just so saddened, maddened and disappointed in the Jaguar scene and what seems to be so many close-minded "circle of friends." :? I understand you guys wanting to protect and defend yourselves, I'm just so disappointed that the Jag "community" has come to this and degraded so far. I'm an Atari fan in general and no other Atari console/computer forum is like the Jag "community" it's so strange that specifically the Jag "community" is so hateful and sick/diseased "spiritually."
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

The Laird
3DO ZERO USER

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm

I think its a shame too and I think we all know who to point the finger at. Things never used to be this way.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

The Laird wrote:I think its a shame too and I think we all know who to point the finger at. Things never used to be this way.
As I said, I stay away from the politics of it all, so no, I don't know who to point the finger at, for me, it's lots of people to point the finger at, like everyone who does these great projects, shows them on the forums to get us fans all excited, and then say "nah, nah, only our closest buddies get it, nah, nah..." :evil: There are a bunch of D**KHEADS on ALL sides of the Jag scene as far as I am concerned. Not everyone in the dev community started the BS, but they all seem to perpetuate it.

It's like terrorism; If you let the terrorists scare you into changing your way of life and giving up your freedom and liberty in exchange for "security" then the terrorists have won. An those cowards who change their way of life deserve to lose their freedom, except it effects even those of us who would stand up to them and defend our way of life and personal liberties.
This is just Jag community terrorism and the terrorists have obviously won, and the cowards have let them win.
Trip WHOkins?!?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 pm

The Laird wrote:The source code of the Heretic engine was published in 1999 under a license that granted rights to non-commercial use, and was re-released under the GNU General Public License on September 4, 2008. This resulted in ports to Linux, Amiga and other operating systems, and updates to the Heretic engine to utilize 3D acceleration. The shareware version of a console port for the Dreamcast was also released.
Just a FYI, it's the DOOM engine (later renamed id Tech 1) you are referring to, not a "Heretic" engine. Heretic utilized the DOOM engine, that's all.

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am

Doom source code has been freely available for quite some time. You just can't release anything with the current images.

There are no "politics" involved.

The only "complete" titles I can think of that I really missed the releases of were Mad Bodies and Gorf 2000. Nothing else, outside of my collection, interests me gamewise.
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Not sure if you guys remember this or not but it was discovered that the Jags' memory is expandable up to 8mb via cartridge.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 16, 2014 8:29 pm

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Its missing the souls of the slain foes rising up and floating off. But thats probably left out due to memory considerations.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat May 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Looks good, but I'd like to see it running on original hardware (with camcorder footage to show it preferably, just to know it's surely legit). It appears they are still using emulation for these videos, judging by the framerate counter at the top. If they can get it running this well on original hardware, then I tip my hat to these guys. In the meantime, I remain skeptical.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 pm

It looks really good.