shareware Heretic for the Jag

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

User avatar
a31chris
Jaguar MOD
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by a31chris » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:06 am

Walter_j64bit wrote:I've just word rush is going post what's going on with Heretic but I don't have any more information than that, it might not be a bad thing, hope for the best.
Yeah right. Whatever.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

User avatar
Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Walter_j64bit » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 am

a31chris wrote:
Walter_j64bit wrote:I've just word rush is going post what's going on with Heretic but I don't have any more information than that, it might not be a bad thing, hope for the best.
Yeah right. Whatever.
I know, I know, Been there, done that.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:43 pm

a31chris wrote:Doom in its entirety has been ported and re-ported to damn near every system except the Jaguar. I think it was just interpersonal drama. With no one else around anymore to aim their drama guns at they turned on each other.
Incorrect. Shareware DOOM is ported, then people that want the full thing have the option of replacing the shareware WAD with a full-game WAD (from a version they purchased, like on Steam). DOOM is a game that is still for sale and people offering the full game for free could face legal repercussions. The same thing goes with Heretic, Hexen, and pretty much any other FPS with id's name on it since Wolfenstein 3D.

Perhaps the game could be made for free on an obscure platform like the Jaguar, if blessing is received/the project is condoned by the current rights owner of the game (think Halo 2600), but if that isn't received then anyone pursuing this kind of project without going through proper licensing channels is putting themselves at risk.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't doubt interpersonal drama either. I've dealt with that portion of the Jag "scene" for more than I would have liked. Those guys can be egotistical, narcissistic, and downright bats*#%-crazy.

User avatar
a31chris
Jaguar MOD
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by a31chris » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Austin wrote:
a31chris wrote:Doom in its entirety has been ported and re-ported to damn near every system except the Jaguar. I think it was just interpersonal drama. With no one else around anymore to aim their drama guns at they turned on each other.
Incorrect. Shareware DOOM is ported, then people that want the full thing have the option of replacing the shareware WAD with a full-game WAD (from a version they purchased, like on Steam). DOOM is a game that is still for sale and people offering the full game for free could face legal repercussions. The same thing goes with Heretic, Hexen, and pretty much any other FPS with id's name on it since Wolfenstein 3D.
You're right. Shareware Doom is ported and then they just replace the shareware WAD with the whole one. I guess thats what I meant.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 pm

a31chris wrote:You're right. Shareware Doom is ported and then they just replace the shareware WAD with the whole one. I guess thats what I meant.
All right, cool. We're on the same page then. :P

User avatar
a31chris
Jaguar MOD
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by a31chris » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 am

Has anyone heard anymore about what happened?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

User avatar
ovalbugmann
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 am

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by ovalbugmann » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:25 am

This sounds like a really nice project, Heretic on the Jaguar. I think you may need 50 posts to view that link Walter posted, idk. It would be awesome if StormWorks Interactive could finish and release this game to everybody not just a select few and trusted individuals on the retrovideogamer.co.uk website. lol

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Austin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 am

ovalbugmann wrote:This sounds like a really nice project, Heretic on the Jaguar. I think you may need 50 posts to view that link Walter posted, idk. It would be awesome if StormWorks Interactive could finish and release this game to everybody not just a select few and trusted individuals on the retrovideogamer.co.uk website. lol
Sorry, Oval.. If it's legit, I don't think it's going to be completed. Or if it is, I doubt it will be open to the general public. Laird's posts have all been removed at RVG. He seemed to be one of the primary promoters (at least here) of the project. Rush requested his posts deleted as well, and he is one of the developers of it. Who knows if this will actually be completed. We will see.

Coffeejits
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Re: shareware Heretic for the Jag

Post by Coffeejits » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 am

For those interested, Stormworks website (stormworksinteractive.com) is back up. Not much there yet, but Heretic is listed as a project.
No one dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

Post Reply