S-Video on the Jaguar - Letterbox Shrink to Fit

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

S-Video on the Jaguar - Letterbox Shrink to Fit

Post by MegaData » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 am

Taking inventory of my various collections, double checking high scores and whatnot, I checked out games with an S-Video cable today that I must not have seen on screen this way before. I did know that WORMS, for example, lets me see all of the powerbars with S-video which cannot be seen normally on an NTSC TV but S-video does not improve Club Drive or the two versions of Protector. Club Drive and at least one other title (Brutal Sports Football?) had corruption on the left side of the screen.

There's a blinking cursor in the lower left hand corner of the screen of Protector... all the time. I never noticed this before and it's the same on Protector SE.

(March 28th edited title only.)
Last edited by MegaData on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: S-Video on the Jaguar

Post by a31chris » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Interesting
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 pm

What exactly were the issues with Club Drive? I've never noticed anything wrong with it, and my Jag is hooked up via the S-video cable.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MegaData » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:58 am

What I noticed on Club Drive was just a small bit of corruption on the Menu screen, before the car "drives" on. The image is apparently ready to roll. :)

Edit: Screenshots of Aircars (right), Club Drive (bottom left), Flip Out (left), Protector/SE (blinking cursor lower left), and Troy Aikman Football ((Not Brutal Sports) field is smaller than sprites & field lines stop before left field.) I always used to connect directly to the side of my 32" Widescreen TV. Because I was going through all my videogame systems, my Jaguar is now hooked up to the video player converted through a HDMI signal to the TV. I think this is all due to the settings in the VCR/DVD player more than what cables were used. I tried composite with the same effects today.
Attachments
Aircars_ClubDrive_FlipOut.jpg
Aircars, Club Drive, & Flip Out
Aircars_ClubDrive_FlipOut.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
Protectors_w_Troy.jpg
Protector, Protector SE, & Troy Aikman Football
Protectors_w_Troy.jpg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

MegaData
3DO ZERO USER

Re: S-Video on the Jaguar - Letterbox Shrink to Fit

Post by MegaData » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Update: SoulStar has graphics OFF SCREEN in this mode! I noticed right away that "Licensed to Atari" seemed too high; not centered. Then, when the intro movie listed the name of a planet, the words were cut off the bottom of the screen.

I thought there was a standard display code (in the developer manual) for Atari Jaguar games. I guess not all of the developers used it?
With meddlesome charm,
MegaData

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: S-Video on the Jaguar - Letterbox Shrink to Fit

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 am

I'll have to check out WORMS with my RGB cable some time. Hopefully I get the same result.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"