3DO ZONE Forums

The Only R.E.A.L. 3DO Experience.
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:41 am 
Offline
Jaguar MOD
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am
Posts: 816
This doesn't have a thread here so I will start one.

At the museum I work at every friday, The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, we are currently running an animation exhibit in cooperation with Cartoon Network. It shows the history of animation, various techniques etc etc. Anyways a young aspiring artist/animator came in to see the exhibit and was showing me his portfolio. He is very talented.

The talk eventually turned to video game animation. He then stated that Pitfall The Mayan Adventure on the Jaguar had some of the most awesome 2D animation he's seen in a video game. Earthworm Jim being another game he thought had excellent animation and one of his favorite games. In his portfolio he has a fiber optic character that is somewhat EWJ inspired.
I asked him if he had a Jaguar and he said no he played it at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo last month. He also liked Rayman on the PSX for its animation. He was surprised when I told him Rayman was created on the Jaguar.

_________________
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:37 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1240
Location: Parts Unknown
Nice. Always cool to get these youngsters into this stuff. LOL And Pitfall is awesome on the Jaguar. The extra frames of animation are surely very nice. The extra stuff put into the Backgrounds was really cool too.

_________________
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:13 am
Posts: 40
Location: UK
I really need Jaguar in my life! PIt fall, Bubsy, Zool 2 and Rayman look beautiful.

_________________
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:41 am 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
That's really cool to hear. The Jag version's animation isn't any better than any other, but it does have the benefit of having a higher color count than the Genesis/CD or SNES versions of the game. It's still a solid version. Regardless of which one you play though the game has excellent animation.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:18 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm
Posts: 343
Austin wrote:
That's really cool to hear

Agreed! :D

Austin wrote:
The Jag version's animation isn't any better than any other, but it does have the benefit of having a higher color count than the Genesis/CD or SNES versions of the game. It's still a solid version. Regardless of which one you play though the game has excellent animation.

Agreed.

Seems we have to go through this EVERY time, but the SNES/MD versions run at a silky smooth 60fps while the Jaguar versions suffers from a lesser framerate which, for me, really affects my enjoyment of that version, as I grew up with the superb SNES version (my favourite) and now always turn to the MD/GEN version if I want my Pitfall fix, as opposed to the Jag version...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm
Posts: 140
This game is pretty hard (for me) and I've never beaten it on any system. Have given it tons of time on the Jag in past years but always end up re-shelving it. Recently though, I hacked the Sega CD version with Infinite Health, Infinite Fire Bombs, Invulnerability, Infinite Stones and Infinite Boomerangs and am close to finishing it :mrgreen:

Edit:
Finished it last night 8)

_________________
How to reset Jaguar carts (NVRAM)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:45 am 
Offline
Who's Trip Hawkins?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 am
Posts: 198
Location: Texas
RetroGamingBlog wrote:
I really need Jaguar in my life! PIt fall, Bubsy, Zool 2 and Rayman look beautiful.


The Jaguar does have some good platformers that were mostly overlooked back in the day becuase everyone wanted 3D and 2D platformers were starting to fall out of style for a while. Of course the 3DO and other 32-bit platforms got some too, but the Jag does compare favorably next to the 3DO in the platformer department.

Jaguar

Another World (Out of this World)
Flashback
Soccer Kid
Pitfall
Bubsy
Zool 2
Rayman
Hyperforce
Alice's Mom's Rescue (recent Jag release)

3DO

Out of this World (Another World)
Flashback
Soccer Kid
Gex
Phoenix 3
Johnny Bazooka
?

Aside from Gex (and ones they have in common), I think all the platformers listed for the Jag are better. But what am I missing platform wise on the 3DO? Surely there were more...
I'm pretty sure I have all Jaguar platformers listed, aside from a couple home-brew mini games and unfinished alpha/betas.

With all the games listed above, here is my personal order of best to worst:

Rayman
Flashback
Gex
Pitfall
Another World (Out of this World)*
Hyperforce
Bubsy
Zool 2
Phoenix 3
Soccer Kid
Alice's Mom's Rescue
Johny Bazooka (personally I could never figure out how to even pass the first level on this game)

*both are unique but equal, the difference being different artists with their own interpretations. Worth having both for such a classic game.

_________________
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:51 am 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 pm
Posts: 54
Location: Undisclosed, Midwest, Republic of America
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Austin wrote:
That's really cool to hear

Agreed! :D

Austin wrote:
The Jag version's animation isn't any better than any other, but it does have the benefit of having a higher color count than the Genesis/CD or SNES versions of the game. It's still a solid version. Regardless of which one you play though the game has excellent animation.

Agreed.

Seems we have to go through this EVERY time, but the SNES/MD versions run at a silky smooth 60fps while the Jaguar versions suffers from a lesser framerate which, for me, really affects my enjoyment of that version, as I grew up with the superb SNES version (my favourite) and now always turn to the MD/GEN version if I want my Pitfall fix, as opposed to the Jag version...


Isn't standard animation framerate supposed to be a "silky smooth" 24 frames per second? Is it possible to see a split screen comparison that shows this "lesser framerate?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:29 pm 
Offline
3DO ZERO USER
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1240
Location: Parts Unknown
MegaData wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Austin wrote:
That's really cool to hear

Agreed! :D

Austin wrote:
The Jag version's animation isn't any better than any other, but it does have the benefit of having a higher color count than the Genesis/CD or SNES versions of the game. It's still a solid version. Regardless of which one you play though the game has excellent animation.

Agreed.

Seems we have to go through this EVERY time, but the SNES/MD versions run at a silky smooth 60fps while the Jaguar versions suffers from a lesser framerate which, for me, really affects my enjoyment of that version, as I grew up with the superb SNES version (my favourite) and now always turn to the MD/GEN version if I want my Pitfall fix, as opposed to the Jag version...


Isn't standard animation framerate supposed to be a "silky smooth" 24 frames per second? Is it possible to see a split screen comparison that shows this "lesser framerate?"

Not to mention that it was discussed at length that the Jaguar version runs differently on the PAL Jaguar than it does on the NTSC, as can be the case with some of these games. Pitfall runs just fine in 60hz.

_________________
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:48 am 
Offline
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Fairfax, VA
MegaData wrote:
Isn't standard animation framerate supposed to be a "silky smooth" 24 frames per second? Is it possible to see a split screen comparison that shows this "lesser framerate?"


I'm no animator, but in videogames generally 60fps is considered "silky smooth", not 24.

I'll be receiving a Skunkboard in the next week or so. It will be possible for me to capture footage and make a 60fps side-by-side video and post it to YouTube.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/austinmackert | http://www.twitch.tv/amackert


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group