Atari Jaguar Dumpster Diving

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Atari Jaguar Dumpster Diving

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes, here is the story, and it's true, I swear to you. Ask Jagchris, I had given up on the Jaguar after having to sell my last collection, so there was absolutely no plans for me to EVER buy anything Jaguar ever again. I was just very bitter between that and the demise of Jaguar Sector II.

Fast forward to this afternoon. While thrifting, I finished my Blizzard and walked out to the Dumpster to throw the cup away. The Dumpsters here are chained closed, so you can't open them to keep people from Diving, however, right next to the dumpster on the ground I see an Atari jaguar Cybermorph cart and what looks like a system rental case corner sticking out from under the actual dumpster. This intrigued me, so I picked up the cart and pulled the case, which has a Jaguar label on it and it's heavy. Open it up and sure enough, there's a Jaguar inside with an off brand AC Adapter, a NES TV Adapter and one controller! I usually wouldn't do this, but I got down on my hands and knees and there were three other carts under the dumpster I could find. So I got Cybermorph, Evolution Dino Dudes, Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding and Checkered Flag. All loose, but the Cybermorph Overlay is actually on the controller. Needless to say, if you get caught doing this here, they will ban you from the store so my Woman and I ran like Hell, jumped in the car and were away. Only thing that makes me sad is that I wonder if there were more carts underneath the dumpster and how many made it into it? Just sad. I also took some pics of the system and case after I cleaned it up a bit...there was some nasty bit of sticky runny stuff all over the case...GROSS! Needless to say, I guess I am back to the Jaguar again!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Atari Jaguar Dumpster Diving

Post by Aer Fixus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:39 pm

That's really cool! I love finding amazing stuff in strange places. I found a widescreen PVM in a shopping cart once! It turned out to be a new arrival at the thrift shop (not a discarded item), but since they couldn't test it anyway they sold it to me for cheap. Then there's the time I bought an Atari 2600 from a guy in a parking lot during my lunch break...

My Jaguar was somewhat less exciting, though. It was a good deal on eBay, but there's not really a cool story behind it.

The controller pins look rusted in the picture. Are they? Have you tested it yet?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 am

Aer Fixus wrote:That's really cool! I love finding amazing stuff in strange places. I found a widescreen PVM in a shopping cart once! It turned out to be a new arrival at the thrift shop (not a discarded item), but since they couldn't test it anyway they sold it to me for cheap. Then there's the time I bought an Atari 2600 from a guy in a parking lot during my lunch break...

My Jaguar was somewhat less exciting, though. It was a good deal on eBay, but there's not really a cool story behind it.

The controller pins look rusted in the picture. Are they? Have you tested it yet?
I have owned Jaguar's over the years, so this is by no means my first system. This is the most bizarre find of them all though. Never found one in the dumpster...or beneath it, as it were. lol

As for testing the system, yes I have and it works just fine. The pins are not rusted either...must be the way the light is reflecting off of them in the pics. When I first turned the system on, it gave me the red screen of death...which didn't surprise me at all. I cleaned it all up and then tried again and BINGO! It all worked just fine.

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:59 pm

That's really amazing. Something that valuable (to some lol) being discarded like that.
Wish I could happen across that setup in a dumpster. I'd be busting at the seems. Great score :)

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:28 am

When my Lynx got stolen you sent me one for free. And then you sent me a TG-16 for free.

This is your Karma T2K. It's not a blind, random universe. Get use to it. You deserve this. Congrats.

:)
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:19 pm

really awesome find.
it reminds me of finding my philips cdi 220 system with 2 controllers (one a kids controller) and like 9 games, the only thing wrong with it was the door wouldnt open anymore so i just took the top off and manually ejected the cds. still worked last i checked
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks guys, and especially you Chris. It's nice to see the people remembering that besides me being a cranky Bastard, I still do nice things too...LOL. Yous guys rock.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon May 16, 2016 6:52 pm

I have acquired some other games since this was found, but amazing how anything Jaguar related these days fetches no less than $25.00. Just a sad state of affairs for the Jaguar gamer anymore. I wish scalpers would quit screwing the gamers over, I swear.