Killing Time - Differences between Retail and 2.7 Beta

Those old stickies are chilling out here.
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 am

I used http://www.rastersoft.net/3DO/3DOHomebrewSigning.rar, in fact it's the only one that would work for me.

I hoped to be done with this sooner but some people just won't leave you alone when you are trying to do things fast!

It's been signed, boots up in FreeDo but freezes during the video (which is black). It's probably just the emulator and I don't have time to try it on the real system right now so I'll be upping it soon and then going to bed.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:17 am

Sweet...I'll test it on my console and report back what happens

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:46 am

Here it is. If the sound cuts out of the blank intro vid let it run. It might just have to play all the way through to get to the menu. I used the hacked bios on the original iso and it does the same thing as this one. The image was zipped but I used winrar to give it a good packing. 644MB -> 415MB

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 am

Bummer. Doesn't load. Banner screen appears then disc spins down. Just sits there (banner screen ='s your 3do experience screen)

I'll try to burn a 2nd copy

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:36 am

Sidenote : tested it on my fz-1. Banner loads very quickly (4 secs or so) and the console tries to read the disc 2 times. Green light comes on, off, on again, then permanently off. I can head the disc still spinning, but the 3do isn't trying to read the disc at all

Burning copy # 2 now to make sure it's not the burn that's bad, but I doubt it considering I get to the banner screen.

The banner does go off my tv screen though. I remember reading something in the signing program txt files about proper resolution. Could that be it?

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 am

Captain. She's dead in the water. Disc 2 fail. Console has been on for 3 minutes and nothing happening after banner loads. Sad face! Haha

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Damn, she plays for a few seconds on the emulator and then dies too. Well it is an alpha version after all. But at least we still have the files. I haven't dug through them yet.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm

trying to dig through files now myself...see what of interest may be in there

had to put windows on my mac just to do it..the shame

too bad though...think the disc will ever be workable, or a lost cause?

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 pm

the zstream file is processing now...so ill see whats in there...no other files on the disc seem to be of any interest..but it has a memory manager on the alpha...isnt that just fancy

I tried emulator too, w/ 4 diff bios files, all hang during the intro movie

think there is anyway to take that paticular file out, recompile the disc, and then send it through for another go?

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:36 am

well since the disc just isn't happening right now...heres what I found

jack shit...no interesting audio files in the disc structure (just the standard soundtrack music, fmv audio, ect ect)...so no new unknown audio tracks or lines of dialogue

disc has a memory manager, basic studio3do banner page, and the general files needed for it to run

So whatever difference there may be, it would be in playing it, not looking through the disc

I also resigned the disk with no luck...it freezes on the blank video in the beginning. Here is my complete, shot in the dark guess...I can't find a single video related file in the alpha build file structure, and the intro video doesn't show up as it did in the beta, so perhaps the video hasn't been implimented yet, and thats what throws the error

Forgive me if I am making incorrect assumptions, but I literally just started toying with the software to rip the discs apart like 3 hours ago, so whatever I acheived in that time, I taught myself in 120 minutes (man remembering dos prompts after 15 years was funny...i still remembered most of it)

Is it possible to try to rip the intro movie audio out of the unpacked iso, then rebuild and resign the iso, and see if that would get past the freezing point? or transfer portions of the data from the alpha into the more stable beta build (whatever file would involve the level / enemy code..not the audio/video?)

Know it sounds like a longshot...but thought I'd pose the question anyway

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 am

I really don't know enough about this stuff, I actually do have a currently working version as I type this but how much damage I've done I don't know yet. I used part of 2.7 to try and just get it running. Right now the vid plays but you still can't jump over it.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 am

does it make it to the menu, to be playable?

I'll make you a deal...you figure out how to take those damn alpha files and turn them into a working disc I can actually play, and I'll slide that 3do secrets 2 book your way no cost

:twisted: get me my alpha!!!

(on a serious note...I am always joking around when I write crap. If this doesn't end up ever working, oh well, shit happens)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 am

Great. My emulator no long cares what my keyboard does. So I now have to sign and burn a copy that will most likely just be a messed up 2.7. :roll:

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 am

haha...some days I really hate 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 am

I made too many changes, it's basically a messed up version of 2.7. :x
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:07 am

girl was in beginning of game in beta...hmm maybe not retail? perhaps i missed that

video outside first room is new though...i think you may be onto something

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:08 am

I am just finishing up some video editing related shit for a client...if you want to either sign that version (or not..I can try in freedo, but thats a junk show) and upload it, i can check it out tonite

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 am

Guys, the alpha plays fine in my testing station - intro video and all. I played for about 4 minutes before going to bed the other night.

It's an issue with signing.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:14 am

shit then bitrate...upload that business and make my night more entertaining (as opposed to editing a music video for an indian rock band...which sucks!)

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am

or help us get the copy you uploaded signed...that would be epic (since freedo isn't stoked on loading up your unsigned version, even with a test station bios)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am

awbacon wrote:shit then bitrate...upload that business and make my night more entertaining (as opposed to editing a music video for an indian rock band...which sucks!)

Sorry, what I meant to say was that the unsigned alpha plays fine in my testing station.
What I meant to convey was the fact that the alpha itself is not broken (or too incomplete).

I haven't given signing any more tries since the other night.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:19 am

hmm...can you just mail me your testing station then. I promise I'll return it :twisted:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:26 am

bacon, take a breath... relax...

As for the girl I check 2.7 and she's there, I ended up writing over that post anyway. I'm pretty damn sure she's not in the retail.

Well it doesn't look like it will work with the hacked bios or can be signed with just our simplified windows technique. It's good to know that it will work on a real test unit. Maybe there is a reason to get one even after we were gifted with signing. It is an Alpha version after all.

bitrate, thank you very much for the disc image, I'm sorry for the floods of posts. Mainly just bacon and myself chatting back and forth. I think the rest of the posts about trying to get a version that will work for everybody should move to Help me better understand Opera file structure and we should keep things tidy as possible.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 am

guys I am just kidding around...just my outlet since I don't feel like working right now.

But yeah, perhaps the thread got off track from its original intention..sure, shift the posts over to the opera thread

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:26 am

Wow, look at that.. my download didn't get stuck this time! :shock:

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 am

strange you had a problem dl'ing it. Perfect for me each time.

So I almost have it working (not really). In freedo 2.1 if you turn the ARM processor speed all the way down to 2.0 mhz, you can get another 10 seconds of audio out of the intro before it freezes. It seems like, for any number of reasons, the alpha is sensitive to what must amount to way too fast of a processor running the code. Would explain why bitrate's copy runs fine on his test console, but we can't get it to run in freedo (or on a retail console)

So since freedo is open source, I may try to see if I can change the code to allow processor speeds well below the current minimum. No idea if it will work, but it sounds like a fun project all the same

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:58 am

Here is a successfully signed version of the Killing Time 2.2 Alpha.

KT 2.2 Alpha Signed LINK

Get to work awbacon. :wink:

The intro scene is still clunky when compared to running the unsigned image on a testing station, but the game is functional.

I haven't put any time into the alpha, but I did find something of note. There appears to be a small debug build into the alpha. At the start of the game if you go through that first small building and turn around to face the door you just exited the debug will pop up.

Odds are good that there are probably a lot of other differences from retail considering how early this build is.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 am

Bitrate you just made my night

I was just about to pop in NMH 2: Desperate Struggle to finally beat it, but thought to myself...lemme see if anything new is going on @ the forums

and bam, you drop this on me.

Will be burning and playing shortly. Thanks man, its appreciated

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 am

Glad to hear you'll have some fun with it.

I've put another 15 minutes into the game and have found a few more oddities already.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:20 am

Nice to see this finally working. I'll have to give it a play when it's finished downloading. Good work!