Slayer

Those old stickies are chilling out here.
sneth
Nibbler

Re: Slayer

Post by sneth » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 am

This is another game that I've yet to dig into as deeply as others.
It's also one of the few games I own without the box. Gotta go track that down.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Same here. Years ago, I shared a house with a guy that played dungeons and dragons (with dice) and his tales sounded so awesome. This is where I am with Slayer.

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:58 pm

[quote="3DOKid"]Same here. Years ago, I shared a house with a guy that played dungeons and dragons (with dice) and his tales sounded so awesome. This is where I am with Slayer.[/quote]

Slayer is definitely more like a D&D-licensed Roguelike than an interactive story: it uses old rules and mechanics from first or second edition D&D, and a couple aspects (like good/evil/neutral alignments) are just there for flavor and have no real bearing on the game itself. Both D&D proper and Slayer are worth delving into though, when you get the chance, the latter especially if you dig Roguelikes...it just takes time and commitment to get to know how everything works.

Incidentally, I have no idea how to use the thieves' tools despite what the manual says. I think the manual is wrong about equipping to either hand (they gray out in the secondary hand) and pressing the matching button (buzzer on locked door), or highlighting in inventory and pressing B (nothing).

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 am

Thieves' tools is one aspect of Slayer I have yet to get around to trying. Truth be told, the ability to pick locks in the game never excited me, since you're always provided plenty of keys. I'm more interested in trying out paladins and rangers. When I get the chance, though, I'll let you know if I can figure out how those tools are used.

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 am

The benefit to using thieves' tools instead of keys is each key uses an inventory slot, versus one slot for the tools. That's a lot of free inventory space! At any one time I have anywhere from one to five keys on me, taking up space that could be saved for potions or rations.

Still can't get the damn things to work in either hand, or primary hand with secondary hand empty, or pressing B at the inventory.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:12 am

[quote="mikemacdee"]The benefit to using thieves' tools instead of keys is each key uses an inventory slot, versus one slot for the tools. That's a lot of free inventory space! At any one time I have anywhere from one to five keys on me, taking up space that could be saved for potions or rations.[/quote]

The way I play, though, keys don't really take up any space. Like I said, you're given plenty of them, so if I have any grey keys leftover at the end of a floor I dump them and fill the vacant slots with the floor's leftover items. My impression is the dungeon generator is actually programmed so that you can open all the doors on each floor using only keys found on that floor.