Killing Time - Variations (3DO / PC / MAC) IMAGE HEAVY

Those old stickies are chilling out here.
awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Killing Time - Variations (3DO / PC / MAC) IMAGE HEAVY

Post by awbacon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:16 pm

I thought you all might find this interesting, considering some others have posted images of variations within 3DO releases across multiple regions / platforms / ect...plus when else am I going to get a chance to show off my Killing Time collection haha

Firstly, here is my entire collection so far...it's still missing a few pieces, but its very closely nearing complete as far as I am concerned

Included in that image are almost all the known releases of Killing Time, save for the PAL version and the Big Box for the PC version

Here we have all the 3DO releases, save for the PAL version. The Red disc is the original release, with the Black disc being the mail in update to fix the few bugs that were contained in the original release. (map bug / polygon errors) The Japanese version, titled Tozasareta Yakata, was actually given to me sealed by an ex-employee of 3DO, and the spine card / reg card can be seen above. I didn't have the heart to keep it sealed, since I am not really a sealed game collector

I am a much larger fan of the black disc artwork, especially considering the artwork of Duncan / Seth pops a lot more compared to the red disc

Just a close up for the back insert of both the US and Japanese Jewel Cases

And just a close up of the registration card that came with the original long box 3DO version (and a stain on the table cloth...embarrassing haha)

Here are two two seperate versions of the "remake" (or reimagining) of Killing Time for personal computer. The top disc is for PC, with the bottom being for Mac. The major differences are clearly the MAC versions extremely cheap and basic disc art, and the fact that Studio 3DO is nowhere present on the macintosh manual. The MAC version literally looks like, other than the KILLING TIME title, all the other fonts are Microsoft Word standards

The back inserts clearly show the Mac version being released by Logicware, where the PC version was handled by Studio 3DO (bottom = Mac / top = PC)

The top manual is for the Mac version, bottom for PC. The Mac manual is devoid of any of the artwork associated with the 3DO / PC versions, and strangely enough considers the first left page "page 2" (I guess they consider the cover to be the first page? weird)

The second page of both the PC and Mac manuals (mac on top, pc on bottom). It's pretty clear the Mac version is very barebones and the cheaper of the two releases. I don't know if they were trying to save print costs, but its very basic compared to both the PC and 3DO versions. The entire artwork and "Tess and her Friends" section shown in the PC manual is completely missing out of the Mac version

This is the front cover of the large Mac box. It's in almost perfectly mint condition, with just a few wrinkles at the bottom. One of the nicest boxes I have seen for a Mac game, especially considering Killing Time was not a major release at all

and the back of the box. The box itself for the Mac release is (from what I remember...I used to own the PC box back in the day, but I was like 13 when it came out) almost identical in quality to the PC version. I do recall the PC version having texture on the killer chef, where the Mac version does not. The printing on the back of the mac box is all in yellow, where the pc version contains both white and yellow in the description of the game (and I cannot imagine this was done to save costs, as the logicware text at the bottom of the mac box is printed in white)

For perspective, here is the front and back of the PC box...which I do not own

ImageImage

Strangely enough, but the PC and MAC boxes contain one screenshot of the 3DO version (tommygun gangsters) as well as a screenshot of the PC / MAC version outdoors in the daytime. (a situation that never ocurred in the game) The tommygun screenshot is present on the back of the US long box and the JPN jewel case back insert.

Another oddity is the screenshot of Tess and Duncan in the dining room. That is the 3DO version, but the gun has been changed from the 3DO pistol to the PC pistol. Clearly a photoshop and I have no idea why they were so lazy as to not obtain a new shot from the new version of the game.

The only version I do not own is the PAL version. I have yet to find a copy for sale in the US (and I hate buying from the UK, especially on ebay...I've had way too many problems). I have no idea what the differences are in that version

Lastly...a few screenshots I have found over the years that either a) do not exist or b) aren't as they appeared in the games

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

(Bees do not appear in the boat landing start of the game nor does daytime / no enemies exist in the main hall of the conway estate / hunters and dogs do not appear in this portion of the game / gardeners do not appear in the mansion / daytime never occurs in the game)

and lastly, just a poster for the unreleased PS1 / Saturn version (which has never leaked, and may not even exist)

three of the screenshots are from the 3DO version, where the skeleton screenshot is from the PC version. The killer chef is the artwork for the PC version, so I almost think the PS1 / Saturn port would have been the PC version of the game, and not the 3DO version

and even though I have played both the beta and alpha version of Killing Time (thanks to 3DO Experience and Bitrate) here is a HUD from a prototype I have never come across

Once again it's the same screenshot that appears across all the releases, with a different HUD. Perhaps it was an early screenshot of the game engine which they then superimposed a version of an early HUD. Who knows really?

And that's it. That's everything I know about Killing Time. I have a rather large collection of games spanning the late 80's up to current day, but for some reason Killing Time has always kept my attention, so I've steadily been collecting everything I can find on it.

Currently I do not have the PC Version big cardboard box and the PAL 3DO version. If anyone has them, I am always interested. I'd also love a sealed 3DO longbox

And if anyone else has anything KT that I have not shown / talked about here, and you want to part with it, also let me know.

Hope this has been entertaining!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Awesome collection!
Thanks for sharing.

What is the item (jewel case) second picture down, top left corner of the picture? I can make out "Killing Time" and the 3DO and Studio 3DO logos, but not much else.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 pm

its the beta...just a repro from the art 3do experience scanned

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

Ah, I see.

I think I still have another beta version I was going to upload. I need to look through the disks again.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 am

the more the merrier on the betas. I like researching through them

I think so far its been beta 2.7 and alpha 2.2 that have been released / have been gone through by me, so whatever you might have that is different, I'd love to check it out and compare it like I did the other two releases

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for the post! I'm a big fan of Killing Time, and this was the ultimate resource of various intriguing trivia.

I had gotten a PC version at one point and discovered how freakishly different it was. At the time I hated straight-up Doom clones (basically anything using the same engine with a different skin). So, I hated it. I didn't get very far past the docks.

I never knew about the intended PS1 port. I wonder which version they would have gone with.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:28 pm

JohnnyDude, check it out.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Man, would be nice if those popped up on the US Ebay. I'd like to play the PC version again.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:40 pm

so since we all know how much I love KT, any of my my fellow 3DO friends live in England / GB and want to bid on this for me then ship to the US? I'd be extremely indebted lol (and of course would pay)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 am

My 2.7 was dated 8/28/95 and I know bitrate had a later one dated 10/5/95.

I don't know if this came up already but here's some info on the SEGA Saturn & PlayStation versions.

Taken from: http://palgn.com.au/5564/torus-games-interview/

palgn.com.au: Can you tell us a little bit about the history of Torus Games? How the company began and what was the first title that Torus developed?

Kevin McIntosh: Torus first began in April, 1994. It was formed by ex-Beam Software staff with a vision to create their own original title. One of the first licensed titles Torus worked on was Lost Vikings and Stargate. Torus then started to climb the ladder and worked with Acclaim on Killing Time for PS1 and Sega Saturn. Since then, the company has been going from strength to strength. We've created a balanced team with solid tools that allow designers more freedom to create fun instead of it resting in the programmer's hands. Some of the titles that we've developed over the years include Hello Kitty, Space Invaders, Carmageddon, Duke Nukem and Fantastic Four.

Taken from: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ACCLAIM+A ... a018275513

E3, LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 13, 1996--Acclaim Entertainment, Inc. (NASDAQ : AKLM and The 3DO Company (NASDAQ: THDO) have announced they have entered into a multi-product license agreement in which Acclaim is bringing three of the world's most popular 3DO(R) titles to next-generation gaming systems for the first time ever. Beginning this summer, 3DO favorites Star Fighter(TM), Killing Time(TM) and BattleSport(TM) will be available for the Sony Playstation(TM) and Sega Saturn(TM). Additionally, BattleSport will be available for PC CD-ROM.
The 3DO Company 415-261-3142

Taken from: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... rId,50623/

Jeremy Pope
Developer BIO

[1997] QA Project Lead: Killing Time (PS1, never released)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:44 am

Silentman wrote:JohnnyDude, check it out.
Skirted leotard & black sude boots ... nice. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 am

awbacon wrote:so since we all know how much I love KT, any of my my fellow 3DO friends live in England / GB and want to bid on this for me then ship to the US? I'd be extremely indebted lol (and of course would pay)
You can ask him about international shipping. I asked him about shipping to Russia and he said Yes :-)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Interesting stuff, awbacon! I like the faux screen shots... I still remember when my brother and I got The Throne of Chaos back in the day, and noted a screenshot on the back of the box which shows your party battling a Serpentis in a forest. In actuality, the only appearance of a Serpentis in the game is as one of the forms Scotia turns into if you keep battling her without using the unified Ruby and Shard of Truth, and said battle takes place in Castle Cimmeria. Those mixed-up Killing Time screenshots immediately brought that to mind.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 am

Just checked it out man. You must love this game. I like Killing Time but not sure I would be able to crab a collection that awesome of the game. Very cool stuff here man! That poster for the Saturn/PSX version is wicked. I'd love to get one!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am

Wicked collection, man -- I didn't even know there was a Japanese version. And yeah, Studio 3DO made a somewhat regular habit of using fake screenshots (see also: Blade Force).

One of the art people who worked on the game used to have an online portfolio, and one page was all Killing Time concept art. It was a helluva find and I have yet to locate it again...

I linked to this thread on my Killing Time fan site. Hope you're cool with that!

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46 pm

totally cool with that (only if you find me that KT concept art link your talking about though! haha)

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:17 am

man, to this day I'm still trying to find it for the fan site. i've even tried remembering text from it and entering THAT into the search engine...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 am

I remember looking for sites I found way back in the day but since I used webcrawler for some they might never be found again.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Look for the demo disc that has a few of Killing Time's concept art shots and original name "Time 2 Die". There is a stand alone disc, and a video version on a multi-game demo.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:56 am

Do you know which discs? Screenshots or names would help. Thanks!

I have the time2die "trailer" on the soccer kid disc as well

burgerbecky
SPAMMER

Ownership of Killing Time rights?

Post by burgerbecky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 am

I am the programmer and owner of the code that made Killing Time for the PC and Mac. I've asked Trip if he owned the rights to Killing Time and he told me he didn't. Does anyone know what happened to the rights to Killing Time?

Becky
Olde Skuul

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm

We seem to be getting quite a bit more industry people lately. I'm glad to see you've joined as well. Someone here might know the answer to your question.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Becky,

Glad you joined up. I'd also love to know who owns the rights to KT (if only they would remake the game, similar to bioshock!)

Also, any info / fun tidbits you have and would be willing to share, I'd (and I'm sure everyone else) love to hear them

Especially betas or other fun stuff ;) haha

But glad to see you joined

Calavera3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera3DO » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Nice collection! - this game allways reminds me to my first Maiden album:

Image[/quote]

:twisted:

Could you maybe give us a pic of the longbox backside? Would be interesting - Thx!

Calavera3DO

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:28 am

I have Killing Time for PC, but I can't get it to run on my laptop, which has the Windows 7 operating system installed. Has anyone got any ideas to allow me to get it running without any funny colours or crashing on the Windows 7 operating system without me having to go back to Windows XP to play it, please? Any help would be much appreciated as Killing Time is one of my favourite games of all time!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 am

There probably isn't any way to get it working right without either running it on the OS it was intended, or loading up a virtual box. Windows '95 and '98 games run in Windows 7 is really hit or miss. Don't expect them to work, but it's really nice when they do (Addiction Pinball is one that runs perfectly for me in Win 7.. while many other late '90s games do not).

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Austin wrote:There probably isn't any way to get it working right without either running it on the OS it was intended, or loading up a virtual box. Windows '95 and '98 games run in Windows 7 is really hit or miss. Don't expect them to work, but it's really nice when they do (Addiction Pinball is one that runs perfectly for me in Win 7.. while many other late '90s games do not).
I have found advice from someone on the internet that has got Killing Time working perfectly on the Windows 7 64 bit operating system with an Nvidia graphics card. If anyone else would like to check it out at http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... e616865a2b and let us all know how it works out for them, whether it is for that operating system and graphics card or otherwise, then it would be great to see if people can get it working and how far the boundary of this can be pushed to other operating systems and graphics cards.

MichaelMadDog
3DO ZERO USER

I was a programmer for the Killing Time PC version

Post by MichaelMadDog » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 am

I didn't realize there was such an interest in this game!

I was one of the programmers on the PC (and also Mac) versions of the Killing Time remake.

Not too long ago, I Googled it, wanting to get a copy that I could just run around to relive some memories. As it turned out, I found a fan site, mentioned some cheat codes that I had been holding onto for years, and the owner asked for an interview, which is now online:

https://sites.google.com/site/conwayest ... tynskichat

I wasn't the main engine programmer nor the level designer, but now that the fan site is asking them for interviews too, it could get more interesting.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey, welcome to the forums!
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Great to have you aboard, I've seen that site before and it's good to know they are still adding info. I'll definitely have to read your interview. Since you worked on the PC version you might want to look ten posts up as "Burger" is trying to find out who owns the rights to that version, even if you don't know you might know someone who does.