3DO Zone Forums

Those old stickies are chilling out here.

The 3DO Zone Forums

I think it's an excellent idea and much needed shot in the arm for 3DO gaming.
89%
Yeah a forums a nice idea but who plays 3DO games these days.
5%
Damn you to hell, we already have a 3DO Forum so why create another one.
3%
Couldn't care less, I only came here by accident anyway.
3%

Total votes: 37

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I understand what you're saying. The whole forum admin job is a challenge if I'm honest, and it's a conundrum.

On one side, I would love hundreds of well thought out, politely written and intelligent posts. I also like enthusiasm. I like reading peoples thoughts, experiences, nostalgic memories, information, opinions, history, reasoning, the list is endless. It's all good stuff. I even don't mind ranting. If people want to go off on one, on any subject -- good for you. Let it out.

I think anyone can add anything. I for one love to hear anything. (Read it? You know what I mean :) )

And i don't, despite perhaps the evidence, expect pitch perfect grammar and spelling. That would be hypocritical on my part.

Where I draw the line, at a high level, is based on, and it's an abused word i know, but respect.

The Internet may well be a (human) 'right' but access to these privately owned and funded forums is a privilege, and I make no bones about that. An analogy: It's an individuals right to walk down the street (the Internet Super Highway), sure, but not to go into someone's (cyber) home start arguments, and screaming and shouting, and upsetting your family. I think that's a reasonable expectation. My signature, in a light-hearted way, tries to emphasise that. Think of the forum like an Old English Pub, and, as the Land Lord, I 'Reserve the Right'.

I reserve the right to maintain the forum as a place to talk about 3DO in a pleasant atmosphere. To that end, certain subjects I've banned out right: ROMs, and For Sale - because they cause arguments, people don't get banned for this, they just receive a PM warning them - but anyone who comes into the forum and starts picking arguments with me or other members, I just ban them. History and experience of doing this job has taught me that nipping it in the bud is definitely the best policy. I have been doing this for a while. You have to trust me :)

Am I harsh? I don't personally think so, some would disagree. Would I love this place to packed with pleasant chatty 3DO fans, eager to share and explore? Of cause. Do they exist? I'm not so sure.

I think the primary reason we aren't deluged in loveable 3DO rogues like myself, Trev, Austin, Lemmi, etc., is that the retro-gaming-forum-web-sphere is actually pretty small. Even on the larger multi-format retro forums; the number of active participants is very small, and a lot of those people have at best disinterested views on 3DO, or worst a very negative view on 3DO.

Also, don't forget, some of us have been here for years. There are In-Jokes. Bannings, Preecha, him of whom we don't speak. Are they alienating to new users? Yes, I imagine they probably are. My view is that everyone is new somewhere someday; you will get used to it.

To summarise. If i could get good people rummaging around the web, digging out 3DO stuff, asking questions, discussing 3DO, taking pictures sharing information, playing the games and writing out the opinions trapped in their heads - that would be my ideal. What I don't want or need is people fretting, lying awake at night worrying and getting worked up emotionally about a bloody video games forum. The forum should not be the topic, 3DO games and hardware should be. And that's what I'm trying to do. (That, and my day job :) )

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm

3DO Kid you read and understood me right and your response was informative, insightful and casual. Now your buddy Trev, what's his angle?

Trev I know your watching, but here goes nothing.

I can tell he's a collector, fan and gamer. But sometime his comments come from left field, as if to antagonize a person. 3Do I know u and he(trev) linked up back in 07', has he always been that way or what? From what I've read he has helped people get banned with his obtuse colloquialisms.

What I mean is I haven't witnessed anyone coming out mentioning warez, being or using profanity, that may have read the rules. I think some newbies maybe so excited that they just rush to post without reading the rules. I've seen profanity used by long standing members and they weren't banned. I've even read one of the best collectors here refer to "cough(s)" in their collection without repercussion. I've also read a newbie do the same thing and b4 being banned, they were attacked by another member and I quote... "What are you doing here...?". IMHO, this maybe part of the reason that most onlookers just visit as guests or post like (on an average once a year).

Nobody likes to be spoken to abrasively, esp. over the internet. I mean most of us will never meet. 3DO Zone is an online chat and not a convention. So the can for physical confrontation is slim to none. So when one party makes a statement which they are attacked over, the normal response is to retaliate, right? Which leads 2 the retaliator being banned and not the long standing instigator. That's why I asked, how does one become a ember of the order, as this forum kinda has a fraternal setup if you get my drift? Beside a few exceptions from a newbie perspective this type of situation causes a person to be an onlooker, lurker opposed to a participant!

I can understand the position that its a privilege to be part of is forum, but in view of some of the treads, maybe this forum should be made private opposed to public (or is it private posing as a public forum?). No offence intended just a newbie question.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 pm

My angle ... for one, don't care for threads being derailed by nonsense like this. I've done absolutely nothing to you elitegamer to warrant a post like this. If you have genuine issues w/me, send a pm, but don't clutter up threads on a forum I love with this kind of drama. Thank you.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:11 am

elitegamer wrote:3DO Kid you read and understood me right and your response was informative, insightful and casual. Now your buddy Trev, what's his angle?

Trev I know your watching, but here goes nothing.

I can tell he's a collector, fan and gamer. But sometime his comments come from left field, as if to antagonize a person. 3Do I know u and he(trev) linked up back in 07', has he always been that way or what? From what I've read he has helped people get banned with his obtuse colloquialisms.

...snip.
I've seen no evidence of this. Let's stick to 3DO Games and Console, and not people and forums.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:32 am

Oh the pleasantries I miss while busy. Let me just say that bannings (the real ones) generally happen as a result of more than just what shows up for all to see. When a user creates a ruckus there are generally PMs that go along with it. Quick to be booted are those who PM me asking to buy or trade ROMs after they've been warned, and there are PMs of complaints from many users as well as some posts that are removed or edited that many never see. True most of those are spam but some are flat out harassment meant to cause a full on uproar. We admins try to do our jobs as best we can but are only human.

And a Ban Request is always in jest.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"