3DO Zone Forums

Those old stickies are chilling out here.

The 3DO Zone Forums

I think it's an excellent idea and much needed shot in the arm for 3DO gaming.
89%
Yeah a forums a nice idea but who plays 3DO games these days.
5%
Damn you to hell, we already have a 3DO Forum so why create another one.
3%
Couldn't care less, I only came here by accident anyway.
3%

Total votes: 37

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3DO Zone Forums

Post by Devin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:58 pm

When I first setup the CD-i Forum CDinteractive I asked the same question. So it's a case of history repeating itself!

Please cast a vote and let me know your honest thoughts on the subject.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:33 pm

its a great idea if you can get people to join and participate, its just hard to get people to join, i would have loved a 3DO site like ICDIA with a messageboard back in the day, for info and general facts

3DOkid knows about Zangardo, who probably had the most 3DO stuff ever
and i learned almost everything from that guy regarding the 3DO, he even talked to Trip and other people who worked at 3DO back in the day though emails

i used to have many emails Zangardo sent me with the talks he had with those people but after a HD failure i lost them all except 2 from a fellow collector here is a excerpt from one email from 2003

Zangardo,

As you can imagine, it would be hard if not impossible to surpass your 3DO
collection. I made the below remarks before I fully had a chance to look
at/absorb all the 3DO stuff you have. You have the most remarkable 3DO
collection that I have ever seen. This astounds me. I am a serious gamer
owning over 6000 newly bought original games over the years for all systems
from jamma to PC, on the planet, and I haven't even seen some of the 3DO stuff
you have. I mean, I talked to Jim @ Panasonic 3DO, a few in the 3DO office, of
course know all about Trip's follies, even up to today with 3DO's recent
bankruptcy filed. And even after all that, I need educated on some of your 3DO
stuff.

I have been hunting the elusive collector that got his hands on the completed
but unreleased SAVE YOURSELF for 3DO for some months/years and it appears that
I have found him. Is it YOU? I think YES. Wild.

How the Hell did you get so many steering wheels? I have only been chasing
them for about 5 years and seriously doubting that one even got made for
certain. Yours are the first real PROOF that they exist.
if he was still around he probably could jump start a project like this
and since ive been collecting for the 3do ive heard more about how the 3do is a joke of a system rather then what is good about it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:45 pm

It's an interesting question - is the 3DO a joke? It is anecdotal story to scare hardware vendors, that's for sure.

I think it is a good collectors system. It's reasonably confined, unlike say the Sega systems or the Nintendo where you don't have a cat-in-hells chance of getting everything.

Even the Japanese stuff is interesting and readily available - even if much of it is only pretty to look at.

I'll see if I can track down Zangardo. Shouldn't be too hard right?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:07 am

3DOKid wrote:I'll see if I can track down Zangardo. Shouldn't be too hard right?
good luck, in 2005 i tried to find him when i still had his dads email and even his dad doesnt know where he is

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:21 am

So we're looking for a Nomadic person weighed down by every piece of 3DO memorabilia ever. Theoretically - he should stand out in a crowd.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 am

3DOKid wrote:So we're looking for a Nomadic person weighed down by every piece of 3DO memorabilia ever. Theoretically - he should stand out in a crowd.
you would think but he sold off many of his high priced items before he disappeared, his ebay feedback shows this as it looks like he didnt ship some items to a few people, just check my feedback and on the first page i still have his name in my feedback ( lemmi_is_god )

i bought a few off him as well

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Bugger.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 am

Good idea, but...

:idea:
Let's buy domain 3doforums.org and create an international forum.
The first language will be English, and subforums for Russian (I can help with list of forums) and Portuguese.
And subforums for Russian and Brazilian sites will be able to be.

--
Unfortunatly my English skills are really poor and I really can't write in it. (C)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

zenkov wrote:Good idea, but...

:idea:
Let's buy domain 3doforums.org and create an international forum.
The first language will be English, and subforums for Russian (I can help with list of forums) and Portuguese.
And subforums for Russian and Brazilian sites will be able to be.

--
Unfortunatly my English skills are really poor and I really can't write in it. (C)
Hello buddy!

You are the chap doing the Russian equivlienet of my blog! I've seen it many times! It's very good.

When myself and Devin where talking about setting up the forum, we discussed multi-language support. Noticeably Spanish and Russian. Because of the support 3DO systems get in those areas where these languages are used.

While it may seem cruel to force people to use English, I sort of feel that we will all get along better and share more if we simply stick to English. Not through arrogance but through a desire to share with everyone.

Sending all the Russian people to a Russian part of the forum and all the Spanish to another forum and so on ... hmmm.

I'd rather people write it in their native tongue and run it through babelfish and then post it on here than we isolate people - I hope this makes sense.

...anyway - your English is very good!

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:24 am

zenkov wrote:Let's buy domain 3doforums.org and create an international forum.
I mirror the same thoughts as 3DOKid on the multi-lingual forums idea. Saying that maybe we can 'give a little'. How about a forum hosted on 3DO Zone for your Blog? Maybe that way we can draw Russian readers into the forum and it might spill over into the English threads? What does everyone think?

Of course that means I'll have to install a language pack for Russian, I guess! :roll:

What's this 'lets buy a domain' anyway. That means I'd have to buy the darn thing :wink:

Although I have considered getting a good domain name as you suggest, it's yet another expense. I'll give it some more thought all the same.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:23 am

I'll pay for it.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:36 am

How about logo? :lol:

For forum:
(I can write without The)

Small logo:

Favicon:
Last edited by zenkov on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Cool ... it looks very much like the cover font of 3DO magazine.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:45 am

3DOKid wrote:I'll pay for it.
You would! Okay then, what domain do you want. Have to be a few years rental up front mind :wink:

Great logo as well zenkov. Some really nice work! I don't like 'The International 3DO Forums' part though. It's hard to read, I'd suggest a bolder text font perhaps? The incorporation of 3DO and ZERO is very creative however. Me likes, me likes alot :D

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 am

Image ?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:39 am

Looking better :)

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:30 pm

zenkov wrote:Image ?
Cool, now it needs to fit in an area of 200 by 91 pixels! :wink:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:24 pm

Is the logo size hardcoded in to the style? I think i know how to edit that on this forum software. iirc, just overwriting the logo will be good enough and it wont re-size.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:23 pm

I for one quite like both logos and will not be drawn on the subject :)

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:25 pm

Nice one Zenkov! The forum adjusted as BryWI pointed out.

Looks rather nice I think :D

Dengar13
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dengar13 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:07 am

Lemmi wrote:
3DOKid wrote:So we're looking for a Nomadic person weighed down by every piece of 3DO memorabilia ever. Theoretically - he should stand out in a crowd.
you would think but he sold off many of his high priced items before he disappeared, his ebay feedback shows this as it looks like he didnt ship some items to a few people, just check my feedback and on the first page i still have his name in my feedback ( lemmi_is_god )

i bought a few off him as well
I used to email him a a regular basis as well and he did fall off the face of earth. I can attest that his collection was massive. He was from Ohio and I think he lived in WV for a spell as well, but I am not certain on that. I think I just randomly emailed him via eBay one day and we hit it off. I was in the Marine Corps back when 9-11 happened and I told him I could not leave base and was looking to trade games with him. Low and behold he sent me a boat load of games to me for free. I always thought he was a hell of a nice kid. Another eBayer you may be familiar with, Lemmi is Gamemaster489. He used to go by woodmaster489. I think Zangardo burned him on a transaction on eBay and was never to be found again. I will try to look for him, but I think it is going to be a useless attept because if his own father doesn't know where he is then who will? He had things that you couldn't imagine from 3DO as Lemmi said. Sorry for my ramblings, but it is a small world.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat May 26, 2007 5:21 am

hey Dengar

it is a small world as i remember Zman talking about you and how you were on a military base, i think i even remember your name (does it start with a C?) :D
EDIT --- haha i just saw i had a PM and yup i was right :D

thats how i got to know him, he emailed me after a few bidding wars for 3do items we had :)

i emailed his dad about 3 months after i lost contact with him and he just said his mom kicked him out of the house, and wasnt sure where he was (but i think that is a lie)
his dad lived in WV and his mom in OH (and i might even know why he was kicked out of the house, but im not going to say anything here)

oh man Gamemaster is still going strong on ebay, that guy has bottomless pockets it seems, i even have one of the last emails he sent Zman
I SEE YOU LIKE TO USE WOODMASTER389 NOW I AM GOING TO E-BAY ON THIS AND THE BID WAR IS ON AGAIN YOUR NO FRIEND I WILL MAKE A NEW E-BAY NAME AND OUT BID YOU NOW LIKE YOU ARE DOING TO ME THANKS LOSER AND DON'T E-MAIL ME BACK I DON'T DEAL WITH LOSER LIKE YOU ANYMORE I SEE YOU BLOCK ME OUT
THE BID WAR IS ON YOUR LOSER
Zman took woodmaster after he quit using it and was bidding on things gamemaster was bidding on, then that email was sent to him
Gman wasnt good at english and we had tons of fun trying to figure out some of his emails because some made no sence whatsoever (i had them all saved but a HD crash took all the ones before 2003)

good to see you are still around

wulfren
3DO ZERO USER

Post by wulfren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:43 am

I think this forum is great, I am aware that there are other forums up, but each forum has its own feel, and personally I really like this one, it has to do with the people that post, the ability to ask questions & not get hammered & flamed

I do think getting a domain is a great idea. and I wonder if you could setup something like a donations box? I know on my guild's website we have the very thing to renew the subscription & keep the pop up's away

its something i am defiantly willing to donate for
Wulfren

~Lupine Nobilis~

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:45 pm

flaming is frowned on. sarcastic one word responses encouraged. and no fights. I don't like fights. we've never fought on here have we? I don't think so? So much love you see. John Lennon (that idiot dead hippy) said something once - I think it was... All you need is love. It's a rule we all live by. Love, 3DO, money, a few other bits and bobs. Paypal account, that sort of thing. that's all you need.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:04 am

What's the question?

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:54 pm

:lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Lightning wrote:What's the question?
Which button does the banning?

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:27 am

As a forum participant, I think that this is a good place to discuss a console that is surely forgotten about or unheard of by the casual gamer. Because of the systems short lived marketability, fused with mass non-popularity. I thought id never see another mention of the system again. I definitely didn't think there would be a forum for those of us that are REAL gamers, collectors etc.

Forum membership/participation maybe what it is due to the history of the console its self. Or it maybe due to the fact some may prefer to lurk as it is called due to the position of some of the forums members/ participants. I actually have been of 3DO Zone for at least a couple of years. I had been reluctant to sign up I i didn't have internet service.

Now, that I do! Here I am. One thing I can't figure out for the life of me though, is why are there normally more guest viewing then there are members? I've read the mission statement as well as familiarize myself with alot threads. Yet I still question, what are the benefits from participating besides being banned? It would appear to be some kind of tier or ranking for members and participants. I mean so of the conversations here are sometimes less then insightful (4 the sake of my opinion, plz don't do the unmentionable). Then other times some members seem to have more liberty to post and suggest whatever they like without repercussions .

I know I'm the new kid on the block, which doesn't appear to be a good place to be. In reading on thread, I read a "newbie" of a month get banned cuz he mention the status of his collection. Imo... I kinda saw the guys point. He wasn't abrasive with anyone until his validity was questioned. The resulting action was him being Barred.

Without rehashing the entire thread. Is there any advice anyone would like to share in regards to cultivating this forum? As a newbie just thought I'd ask?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am

elitegamer wrote:I know I'm the new kid on the block, which doesn't appear to be a good place to be.
We were all there at one point in time. Hell, I've been here for two years and I still feel that way! :lol:
elitegamer wrote:Without rehashing the entire thread. Is there any advice anyone would like to share in regards to cultivating this forum? As a newbie just thought I'd ask?
I am probably interpreting this the wrong way, but by "cultivating" I assume you mean getting more people to post on here.

This is a long shot I suppose, but I think better, more positive coverage of the platform, such as in written reviews as well as video reviews on YouTube, could go a long way. A lot of what I have seen focuses on the less-than-ideal aspects of the platform, and not enough focuses on the great stuff. And I don't mean just Need For Speed, Gex and Road Rash, but the obscure stuff. The 3DO is a platform that has a ton of content available, some really interesting pieces of software that weren't even released in the US or the UK, and there should be a greater effort showing people that there is a lot to discover on the platform, much that probably will not be expected when given its competition at the time.

Another thing that would help is homebrew. Asides from the rabid fanboy-ism that tends to run in the Jaguar community, I feel the homebrew scene within it is what has really been keeping it alive to the degree that it has. It also seems like more and more are interested in it as time moves on, despite the system fairing terribly in the market and it receiving mostly awful reviews in the long run. We don't seem to have that homebrew aspect for the 3DO (granted for a while there, there were perfectly good reasons for it). There isn't that constant excitement that something new, fun and enjoyable might be rearing its head around the corner. That's not to say we shouldn't be grateful for the things that have come so far though, because we should--The Onside Soccer/Power Slide release, as well as the Oldergames Icebreaker 2 release (which eventually led to the subsequent officially-approved free release of it brought on by some of the forum members here). [On a side note by the way, whenever the 3DO topic comes up in a more serious form on other forums, I always point them to the Icebreaker II release here, letting them know there are some things that have happened within the 3DO community that they might not know about]

By the way, if that's completely not what you were looking for, then here's some words 'o wisdom: Stay out of 3DOkid's way at exactly 9:37.03 in the morning, don't make a new thread every time a holiday rolls around like one guy did a while back (shhh, we don't mention his name here), don't talk about warez, and, um.. I think you should be good. :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Austin wrote: (shhh, we don't mention his name here) :D
Eagle eyed readers can find his name is this very thread if they look hard enough ... :wink:

As a rule, I think new members are great. :) Anyone w/a genuine passion for 3DO will fit in nice here.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5