I think I am old. And gaming is going backwards.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:15 am

Didn't they team up w/Bioware & release a Sonic rpg for the DS fairly recently? I seem to remember reading some strong reviews (although I haven't played it yet)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:10 am

Okay kid here's the problem I have.
I am a purist and I dont want my consoles to have games so complex that I have to hold down button B while using button X in conjunction with Button C just to open a bloody door.
That is what PC's and their keyboards are for
I dont want to wait 20 mins for a game to load/update on a console - once again if I want that I'll use my PC.
Console games should reflect the arcade mythos - put your money in - no rule book 158 pages long and play with a joystick and a couple of buttons - period
I want my consoles simple and with games THAT ANYONE CAN PLAY
Consoles are for everyone PC's are the home of hardcore geeks!
I also might add that on rail shooters and vert shmups actually fall into the casual game category - it doesn't make then less enjoyable.
Cooking mama and the like are just updates of the old game & watch style of play ( I hate to admit it but it can be addictive!)
I am totally addicted to Civ 4 on the PC - tried it on a console and just about threw the controller against a wall.
A recent newspaper article labelled "games can be helpful" also made an interesting comment - current games have lost their mystery and risks becoming the very product that its detracters describe.

Also as a footnote part of my current job is to observe the interactions of youths during certain activities.I watched a 14 yo play a 360 for about 6 hours and here is what I saw - During GTAIV he became bored with the free roaming aspect and started entering cheat codes to spice it up. To move onto the next assignment he called the police to a location spawned a chopper then proceeded to spawn vehicles mid air and direct them at the police units below with the rotor blades.This continued for another 15 mins when he then became bored again and had his character leap to his death.next into the machine was Bad Company - upset that he couldn't kill his buddies he settled into the linear nature of the game and spent the next 4 hours finishing it (which he did).
Free roaming is not what its hyped to be - gimme branching linnear any day
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 am

I must agree with matty on this one.

Edit: Now that I’ve slept on it I think that for some games it’s OK to need the manual, I believe I remember even needing it for Yar’s Revenge back in the day and that was a great game. But you should never have to read like 20 pages just so you can play.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"