Wolfenstein 3D Aarrghhh!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Wolfenstein 3D Aarrghhh!

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Anyone played Wolfenstein 3D on the 3DO lately? I decided to pick one of the missions and complete it recently. I chose "Die, Fuhrer, Die!", and either I completely suck at FPS's or this mission is a little difficult. I'm giving it a go at the third (out of 4) difficulty level, and once you get to stage 5 its starts to hit the fan.
I now have the chain gun, which makes life a little easier :twisted: (except you have to watch your ammo as I haven't located a backpack yet), but still it can be damn hard.
I got to one place where there are about 30 or so columns separated by small stacks of brick walls, and behind these columns and walls are the guys with the white uniforms. As soon as you step out into the room about 8 of these guys notice you and fire at you from behind cover. It's over before you know what happened. Anyway, they kicked my ass about 10 times before I finally defeated them.
Anyone else tried this mission before on the 3DO and find any difficulty, or do I just suck hard? I played a couple of the other missions (not Die, Fuhrer, Die!) before years ago and don't remember it being this hard.
This is a great port of the game and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Especially when you hear the doors opening and closing and its not your doing.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 pm

I played the game on the 2nd difficulty level (I think it's 'don't hurt me'?) and didn't have too much trouble, so maybe you could try adjusting the challenge. Also, when I beat the game I played the missions in order, which helped the difficulty ramp appropriately. I'll have to pop the disc in again (it has been a while) and see how I do on the tougher settings.

BTW, I love the music & sfx on the 3DO version of Wolfenstein! They are much better than the Jag version, & probably the best overall.
This is a great port of the game and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Especially when you hear the doors opening and closing and its not your doing.
I agree. I get a chill up my spine when I hear doors sliding open in the distance.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm

If I was an admin - i'd ban you both for these sorts of comments.

Wolfenstien !!!!????!!?!

Atari Jaguar version better. !!!?!?!??!

Crazy - just crazy.

3DO kid.

PS: :wink:

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 pm

I think Wolfenstein is a very underrated game on the 3DO. It came out a bit too late in its lifespan; I don't know why this wasn't released much earlier as it would have stolen some thunder from the Jag's version and would have given an alternative to Monster Manor, which wasn't bad either. I completed it on level 3 difficulty and just about managed it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:37 pm

fish wrote:I think Wolfenstein is a very underrated game on the 3DO. It came out a bit too late in its lifespan; I don't know why this wasn't released much earlier as it would have stolen some thunder from the Jag's version and would have given an alternative to Monster Manor, which wasn't bad either. I completed it on level 3 difficulty and just about managed it.
Is it possible to complete Monster Manor? wow. What happens when you win?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:17 am

Do you like any 1st person shooters 3DOKid? I've read many posts on your blog, and I know you think Halo & AVP are decent ... any others? If you had to pick the best on 3DO, what would you chose (Space Hulk doesn't count ... much too much stratergy for a 1st person shooter)

BTW ...
I said the 3DO version was superior. If you like I have a Jag version of Wolfenstein ... I'll trade you for Firewall :wink:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 am

3DOKid wrote:If I was an admin - i'd ban you both for these sorts of comments.
What did I do to deserve being banned :D
I didn't say the Jag version was better :D

fish wrote:I think Wolfenstein is a very underrated game on the 3DO.
I agree completely. You almost never see this game make anyone's favorite list. The only real problem (really insignificant) that I notice with the game is just the slightest bit of slowdown when walking over a pile of dead bodies (usually 4 or more). And actually, it's not really even a problem as it doesn't affect game play at all, and again, it's really minimal slowdown.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:20 pm

Trev wrote:Do you like any 1st person shooters 3DOKid? I've read many posts on your blog, and I know you think Halo & AVP are decent ... any others? If you had to pick the best on 3DO, what would you chose (Space Hulk doesn't count ... much too much stratergy for a 1st person shooter)

BTW ...
I said the 3DO version was superior. If you like I have a Jag version of Wolfenstein ... I'll trade you for Firewall :wink:
I love Black. I've played and beat it on all levels on PS2 and have just started playing it on the Xbox. HL2 was alright too but I could only be bothered to play it once.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:55 am

Hmm, well if you guys want technical information, here it is. The Jaguar version is better than the 3DO version of Wolfenstein 3D. The 3DO version is pretty much a PC port of the game and has new music. very nice. The Jaguar version's port was handled by id software personally, the result? Okay, you have the PC Music, but all of the graphice were redone to take advantage of what the Jaguar could do and new levels were built specifically for the Jaguar version. Also? Frames of animation were added to the characters as well. I personally love noth versions of the game for different reasons, but when it comes down to balls to the wall truth, the Jaguar version slaughters the 3DO version. Either way, both version were way better than the laughable SNES one though! :D
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:12 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Okay, you have the PC Music, but all of the graphice were redone to take advantage of what the Jaguar could do and new levels were built specifically for the Jaguar version.
Is there some place you can see screenshots (of similar images) of Wolfenstein 3D from the Jaguar and 3DO side by side? It would be interesting to see the difference.
The added animation would be a nice addition to the game. I haven't personally played the Jaguar version of the game, but it sounds pretty nice from your description of the upgrades.
Does the Jaguar version contain all of those different missions you can choose from at the beginning of the 3DO version?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:43 am

bitrate wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Okay, you have the PC Music, but all of the graphice were redone to take advantage of what the Jaguar could do and new levels were built specifically for the Jaguar version.
Is there some place you can see screenshots (of similar images) of Wolfenstein 3D from the Jaguar and 3DO side by side? It would be interesting to see the difference.
The added animation would be a nice addition to the game. I haven't personally played the Jaguar version of the game, but it sounds pretty nice from your description of the upgrades.
Does the Jaguar version contain all of those different missions you can choose from at the beginning of the 3DO version?
You don't choose missions at the beginning of the Jaguar version but can choose stages. PM me your e-mail and I will send you some screen shots dude.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:34 pm

PM'd! By the way, I have since switched using a Goldstar control pad for a Panasonic FZ-10 control pad and find the game easier! :shock:
The smaller pad makes left/right movement a little more manageable.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:24 pm

With all due respect, I must strongly disagree w/the claim that the Jaguar version of Wolfnstein "slaughters" :? the 3DO version. I've had both versions side by side, and am honestly at a loss for how one can think the Jag version is better, let alone "slaughters" the 3DO one.
the graphice were redone to take advantage of what the Jaguar could do.

I hope this is not the case, as the 64-bit Jag version is still weaker than the 32-bit 3DO one. In addition to the 3DO version being slightly sharper & much cleaner (get close to objects and check out the pixelazation/dithered look on the Jag cart to see for yourself), it is also much brighter. The Jag always suffered from games that were too dark. Wolfenstein on the 3DO is more pleasing to the eyes.

Do not underestimate the importance of the music! Ignore the fact that the 3DO version has awesome music for a moment. Even without the competiton, the Jag's audio tracks are poor. No comparison with the sound effects either. The calls & screams of the Nazi guards, the barking of dogs, the sounds of shots being fired, these are all crystal clear on 3DO! The Jag's sfx were heavily toned down, and what remained sounds muffled.

New levels in the Jag version? I have not seen any yet, and I played for a while. I'm curious to know what they are? I have not noticed any difference in animation either. I think the 3DO version runs faster.

The only thing that the Jag has is the intro screens between missions. The look 16-bit, and add little if anything to the game.

With graphics that are brighter, cleaner, sharper, and better overall, as well as audio that crushes the competiton, Wolfenstein on 3DO is better than the inferior Jaguar port. I encourage any who disagree to run both side by side and see for themselves. Don't own the Jaguar game? I have one for trade (shameless plug alert)

Don't let being a Jaguar fanboy cloud your better judgement. I love my Jag, but I need to be honest in my evaluation. Sorry to be jumping on the soapbox, but it is all in good fun :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:41 pm

Naturally - Trev is right.

I'd also like to add I hate all versions of Doom and Wolf equally - there is no favouritism here. Although it's difficult to imagine the Jaguar version being better. :wink: Now - this is just crazy talk.

I demand proof.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Now we're talking! A nice heated debate between versions of the same game on the Jaguar and 3DO. :D

I will definitely play both versions side by side to see what differences I can discern.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:01 am

bitrate wrote:Now we're talking! A nice heated debate between versions of the same game on the Jaguar and 3DO. :D

I will definitely play both versions side by side to see what differences I can discern.
I look forward to you agreeing with me.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 pm

The Jaguar version of Wolfenstein is dark? If you say so man. The game looks awesome, period. The speed is on par with the 3DO, and the 3DO version of Wolfenstein was letter boxed to boot where as the Jaguar version was fullscreen. Add in the fact that the 3DO also seemed to have alot of Blue walls going on and every weapon just looks ugly, there you have it. Again, this is again opinion based. I love both versions of the game, but comparing the "Cut Scenes" in Wolfenstein to 16 bit, well, those didn't change at all from the PC. Also, I would expect the sound to be better as well as the 3DO version is indeed on a CD versus a cart. If it wasn't at least a bit better, I would be very scared. Still, the Jaguar version of Wolfenstein is way more colorful to boot over the 3DO version. I am not a Jaguar "Fanboy" although I enjoy the system quite a bit, but I am being serious here.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:47 am

Well, I finished Wolfenstein. Love the end of level bosses.
By the way, thank you for sending over the screen shots T2KFreeker. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. 8)
Haven't had a chance to give the Jag version a go yet, but I will do it soon before I forget how the 3DO version "feels". I've got to say though, I visited youtube and watched a Jaguar Wolfenstein recording and I am strongly leaning toward the 3DO version. I understand watching a youtube recording is not something to base which version of the game is better due to encoding variables, interconnects, etc., but still, the darkness of the game coupled with the piss poor sound effects/music are something to take note of. On the other hand, the added animation for the chain gun is nice. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:26 pm

the darkness of the game coupled with the piss poor sound effects/music are something to take note of.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the Jag game is darker (most of it's games are, sadly :( ) After hearing the incredible audio package on the 3DO, it'll be very tough to play through the Jag version. Even for a cart, the audio is fairly poor.

One small thing that the Jag does have in its favor though, is the map.
It is easily accessed via the keypad. On 3DO however, you need to push several buttons at once, often wastig precious bullets in the process (see, I'm an equal oppurunity fanboy :wink: )

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:58 pm

Trev wrote:
the darkness of the game coupled with the piss poor sound effects/music are something to take note of.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the Jag game is darker (most of it's games are, sadly :( ) After hearing the incredible audio package on the 3DO, it'll be very tough to play through the Jag version. Even for a cart, the audio is fairly poor.

One small thing that the Jag does have in its favor though, is the map.
It is easily accessed via the keypad. On 3DO however, you need to push several buttons at once, often wastig precious bullets in the process (see, I'm an equal oppurunity fanboy :wink: )
He said equal oppotunity! :lol:

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Wolfenstein 3D Aarrghhh!

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Thread Revival! Wolfensteain being one of my Favorite all time games, I have revisited the 3DO version of late. My buddy, who is exclusively a PC gamer, cracked me up as he swore up and down that a console from the era 3DO released couldn't even handle Wolfenstein 3D, hence proving the superiority of PC's over consoles. I showed him the 3DO version and he still nitpicked it. Claimed it was too clean, which is why it sucks because the PC version is Pixelated and has that old school charm...yeah, grasping for straws much? I still say the Jaguar port was amazing though...LOL

Come on all, let's get the discussion on this groundbreaking game, and a very nice home port to boot!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 pm

What kind of complaint is that--the game is "too clean"? What?? That's like saying, "Man, I wish the graphics were worse!"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:37 am

Austin wrote:What kind of complaint is that--the game is "too clean"? What?? That's like saying, "Man, I wish the graphics were worse!"
I know, right? Some people just don't like consoles and will find any reason to bitch about stuff. Like this one review I saw on youtube about Super Mario World, which I am personally not a fan of, but, the guy complained that the game was only "Okay" because it didn't have any DLC...REALLY? Just stupid and ridiculous, just even on the fact that it was before they had DLC in the first place. Utterly stupid beyond words.

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:17 am

The 3DO port is currently my favourite, mostly because of the music, but also because all the new levels, better sprites and textures...

Jaguar port is also good, but to me it adds nothing to the original whereas the 3DO port is almost like a remaster.
You can't take the sky from me

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:47 am

I dunno why anyone would really consider it the best port of the game. Making it look prettier doesn't balance the fact that the characters are always facing you, and never patrol, so there's no stealth aspect of the game; and that the story segments have all been removed, so not only is there no context (and therefore no purpose) for what you're doing, there's also no ending. Nothing quite like finally beating the final mission of a long, tough game, to be rewarded with....credits. You can't replace substance with more polish.

The PC version basically is better, even if it's uglier. Your buddy just sucks at arguing.

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:32 pm

The author of 3DO port says that the source could be available soon. :)
https://youtu.be/rBbIil2HPSU?t=56m16s

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:38 pm

Isn't 3DO Wolfenstein a port of the Mac version and not the PC?

mikemacdee
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mikemacdee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 am

zetastrike wrote:Isn't 3DO Wolfenstein a port of the Mac version and not the PC?
Yes and no. It has the graphics and sounds (i think) of the mac port like the Jaguar port does, but the mac version of Wolf3D actually had story segments explaining the purpose of each mission, and an actual ending. The Jaguar port of Wolf3d is a more accurate port from what I understand because it still has all that stuff intact, even though it changes the weapon graphics.

EDIT: Double-checking, I can't seem to find any footage of story segments in the Mac version, so maybe those were just added to the Jaguar and Snes ports...? Maybe the 3DO version really is the most accurate port of the Mac version, which is kind of depressing.

Incidentally, I read that there was a secret episode or something in the 3DO version where you fought several bosses at once in the final mission, but I never found it. Was this just a rumor?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:21 pm

C'mon, the story segments were really just filler anyway (in the case of the Jag version especially). Stealth elements? While it would be a nice inclusion, if you played this game slow you were doing it wrong. Guns blazing is the only way to go. :D

The PC version will always be the best to most (like me). When it comes to console and handheld ports though, the 3DO version wins for me. A lot of it is the sound and music, but the overall feel as well. The game is fast and feels good. You don't need a story to enjoy something as straightforward as this.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

mikemacdee wrote:I dunno why anyone would really consider it the best port of the game. Making it look prettier doesn't balance the fact that the characters are always facing you, and never patrol, so there's no stealth aspect of the game; and that the story segments have all been removed, so not only is there no context (and therefore no purpose) for what you're doing, there's also no ending. Nothing quite like finally beating the final mission of a long, tough game, to be rewarded with....credits. You can't replace substance with more polish.

The PC version basically is better, even if it's uglier. Your buddy just sucks at arguing.
Meh, my "Buddy" can go jump off of a bridge. I hate that Douche Nozzle.

As for Wolfenstein....well, it's a kickass game. Don't want to go too far of of topic...

I also agree that Wolfenstein is best played with the guns blazing and balls to the wall death, doom and destruction!