YouTube 3DO "review" onslaught

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

YouTube 3DO "review" onslaught

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:07 am

What the hell is going on? In the last 3 days five different people have "reviewed" the 3DO system. I realize that it's all the rage right now to review video gaming systems and games, but this recent deluge of 3DO "reviews" makes me wonder if Panasonic has started selling the systems again - well, maybe not. :D

You'll notice I put quotes whenever I typed the word review as most of the "reviewers" display an astonishing inaptitude at reviewing. I realize that I shouldn't expect much from YouTube, but it gets frustrating to watch video after video where people rediscover and rediscover the miracle that is the 3DO control pad with its second player port and headphone jack :x

I should just stop watching the "reviews", but I can't. I have to watch them. There is so much basic 3DO trivia that the reviews get wrong that a five minute google would have put straight. Christ, I'd even settle for untangling the cords before starting a review. This last point seems to be a real mystery for a lot of "reviewers".

One of my favorite 3DO reviews was from a younger gentleman who was trying to persuade his viewers against buying a 3DO system.
About half way through the "review" he poses the question to himself "... didn't Panasonic go under after this thing?" :roll:

Doctor Dude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doctor Dude » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:29 am

Youtube reviews are seldom good.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 am

LOL, I agree. But then I suppose I am biased.

A text review with a demonstration video I think is better. There's only a few of these people who are 'talk show' worthy. Bitrate's case in point about the reviewer who didn't research comments before posting the review is just one of the many flawed video reviews out there.

Ah well, until I can find accessable space, and the time to use it, I will have to sit back and tollerate (and MST) the reviews.

Kanpai!
Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:13 am

You know what I like better than "reviews"? When people talk about stuff but they are talking the item out of the box for the first time! I've actually made shopping decisions from these. I can see what you really get. Like how some mini portable hard drives that don't need a power supply because they get it off the USB port actually need to be plugged into TWO USB ports.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:22 am

I put one up 3 days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoTu__fgzQo

Sorry. I wasn't really trying to "review" the system. They are segments I do to kinda clear the air about systems widely regarded as "effing bad" to show the world that things aren't as bad as memory serves.

Awkward thread makes me feel awkward.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:40 am

Tears of Ash wrote:I put one up 3 days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoTu__fgzQo

Sorry. I wasn't really trying to "review" the system. They are segments I do to kinda clear the air about systems widely regarded as "effing bad" to show the world that things aren't as bad as memory serves.

Wait a second. You posted a video like that and this thread makes you feel awkward?

Just kidding :wink:

Actually, I wasn't specfically referring to your video when I was talking about bad "reviews". However, your video does belong to the "what's going on with all of the recent 3DO reviews" category I talked about at first.
If it makes you feel any better your video was definitely the best. :D

mosul210
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mosul210 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am

Tears of Ash wrote:I put one up 3 days ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoTu__fgzQo

Not a bad unbiased introductory video of the system. I also agree with you, the 3DO was really ahead of its time. I think its inital release price put it out of reach from the casual gamer. Its too bad, this system had awesome potential.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OEdPXSx6o

I'm sorry, but what level of IQ is required to find this entertaining?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 pm

I did learn Rob Zombie was in White Zombie who did the music for Way of the Warrior on 3DO.

What I found most staggering was clearly that the 'reviewers' were obviously the Way of the Warriors target demographic. (Back in the day obviously) and staggeringly they didn't like it. I mean - it's simple, it's bloody, it requires no skill whatsoever, you would have thought it was right up their street, but no?

Some where, some marketing executive is killing themselves.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:05 pm

i found myself skipping though this review to get to the game play parts because those guys are annoying

the only way Way of the Warrior can be remotely fun is if you have people over who dont really like fighting games and you play this game, also getting drunk helps

im just glad i only paid $2 for this back in 1997
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Jugger
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jugger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 am

I get a real kick out of people who mock and make fun of video game systems...15 years after they were released.

Back in 1994 the 3DO blew everything out of the water, including PC's. Hell, just a few years ago having onboard memory was rare, let alone controllers that had built in headphone jacks with a volume control.

And yes, it was expensive. But gaming is not a cheap hobby. People focus too much on the system price and not the games. Remember that cartridges were more expensive than CD's.

I never got into games until the 3DO. Genesis and SNES never did it for me. 3DO offered more of what I wanted: FMV, CD quality sound coded in SURROUND, and a wide and bizarre lineup of games.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:47 am

Amen Jugger! 8)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 pm

bitrate wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OEdPXSx6o
I'm sorry, but what level of IQ is required to find this entertaining?
I don't know but I think they were drunk when they made this or are retarded.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"