3DO on a computer monitor

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3DO on a computer monitor

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 pm

I know there is a RGB hardware hack for the 3DO, which is the work of a true genius, but what about us mortals?

Anyone had a good experience (or a bad one) of one of those composite to VGA conversion boxes?

like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-To-AV-Convert ... 240%3A1318

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Re: 3DO on a computer monitor

Post by bitrate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:09 pm

3DOKid wrote:I know there is a RGB hardware hack for the 3DO, which is the work of a true genius, but what about us mortals?

Anyone had a good experience (or a bad one) of one of those composite to VGA conversion boxes?

like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-To-AV-Convert ... 240%3A1318

A few things to discuss here.

First, that VGA Converter only accepts VGA in. So that unit in-and-of-itself is not going to allow you to view 3DO video ouput on a PC monitor.

Secondly, the more conversions you do between video formats the worse (usually) the end result will be. In other words, even if this $7 box was capable of upconverting composite/S-video-to-VGA for viewing on a PC monitor it would no doubt look worse than the simpler composite/S-video connected directly to a functional standard television.

A lot of people would argue otherwise, but even hooking up composite/S-video-to-VGA boxes that cost thousands of dollars is going to degrade the video signal. During any video conversion, the theoretical best you can hope to achieve is an output signal that matches your input in quality. Of course, this is a theoretical goal which is never truly realized. (Quick disclaimer: Most of the expensive video conversion boxes will perform other tricks and clean-up operations on the incoming video signal such as line doubling and so forth so the image coming from those devices may in fact look superior to the image obtained from their respective inputs. However, these active devices cost a lot more than $7 and the image still will not look as good as if you applied these effects to a properly RGB modded 3DO.)

The RGB hack will produce a better looking image (depending on the decode method involved) because it is grabbing the digital RGB data directly out of CLIO before being processed by the 3DO's own internal video DAC.

Finally, if you can wait a little longer I have a little project in the works for the true 3DO fan :wink: .......

Qcombus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Qcombus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 pm

bitrate wrote:...

Finally, if you can wait a little longer I have a little project in the works for the true 3DO fan :wink: .......

Wow, whatever that project is, count me in!

I'd love RGB on my FZ-1

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm a true 3DO Fan! And I can prove it. I reckon.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:34 pm

bitrate wrote: Finally, if you can wait a little longer I have a little project in the works for the true 3DO fan :wink: .......
Sounds good 8)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 am

Intrigued ...

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:17 am

bitrate wrote:Finally, if you can wait a little longer I have a little project in the works for the true 3DO fan :wink: .......
oooo any chance of doing both YCbCr AND YPbPr?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:01 am

3DO Experience wrote:oooo any chance of doing both YCbCr AND YPbPr?

Any reason you want both analog component video and digital component video?

Actually, a better question is why do you prefer component video over RGB? Unless you have a TV/monitor that only has component inputs, RGB is typically a superior format.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't "prefer component video over RGB" but I generally like to play my games on a regular CRT TV. I prefer both as to only one option.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:58 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I don't "prefer component video over RGB" but I generally like to play my games on a regular CRT TV.

I can appreciate that.

But are you sure that you would want all three? RGB, digital component video and analog component video?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm not. i want what is quickest and easiest. Thank you :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 am

bitrate wrote:But are you sure that you would want all three? RGB, digital component video and analog component video?
... wait, 3... when you say RGB do you actually mean it, or are you using it as a general term like everyone else?

If you mean it (well first off thank you for being the first person on the web to be using the term correctly) than RGB channels and YCbCr are enough. No point (for me) in having both YPbPr and RGB.

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:48 am

nice i saw this mod on some japanese rgb site. I have been doing my rgb mods of a differnt type for people for a few years already. i have threads posted on a few forums including this one. All the 3dos i have done look great. i use a xrgb2 to upscan my stuff to vga and that produces a great picture on a hd tv with vga inputs or a monitor.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 am

acem77 wrote:nice i saw this mod on some japanese rgb site. I have been doing my rgb mods of a differnt type for people for a few years already. i have threads posted on a few forums including this one. All the 3dos i have done look great. i use a xrgb2 to upscan my stuff to vga and that produces a great picture on a hd tv with vga inputs or a monitor.

Actually, this is a different mod than the one seen on that japanese RGB site. A different encoder is employed, and when finished should not require the use of a downstream upscan device such as the XRGB. This will also have a couple of other benefits over existing 3DO RGB modifications which I'll explain once I have things a little closer to completion.

There is also another hardware mod for the 3DO that I'm working on currently. :wink:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 pm

input for an ide cd drive please!