I'm upgrading my top 40 3do to a top 50

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

I'm upgrading my top 40 3do to a top 50

Post by jesus 666 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:21 pm

I've decided I want it done and dusted, the short list of the last 10 games I'm thinking of adding in are

Lost Eden
Gridders
Slam N' Jam
Starblade
1 light gun game
Myst
Casper
Powers Kingdom - already a definate
Dragon Lore
Taiketsu Rooms
Iron Angel: The Return - already a definate
Sailor Moon - already a definate
Eye of Typhoon
Quarantine

I very much doubt I'll ever be able to rate Eye of the Typhoon so that's off the list for the foreseeable future.

I can't work out the little nuances of Taiketsu Rooms at the moment but unless they make a major improvement to the gameplay then I'd say it's a dull game overall.

I can't get hold of a PAL copy of Casper, so I'm probably going to eventually order a PS1 copy to rate it, I take it they are similar?

My opinion of Powers Kingdom has polarised since before, I think the masses of options and strategy in it help to balance out the complete lack of storyline.

Lost Eden is looking promising (saw a website devoted solely to the game so it has some love) but that's being an arse to find at the moment too.

Right is there any other important games I am completely overlooking?

The main changes I'm making to the list that's already there are

1. putting Po'ed higher
2. putting D higher
3. putting Shockwave 2 higher

was there any other weird placings anyone massively disagreed with?

The original list is here http://retro-sanctuary.com/TOP%2040%203do%20GAMES.html

Any help would be appreciated, I want to make this the definative middle finger to anyone saying the 3DO only has crappy FMV games.
Last edited by jesus 666 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Honestly, we could argue about the positions all day, but that is, in my humble opinion, the the most intelligent/informed top 40 3DO games I've ever seen.

There are some abominations out there on the web, and some very tired top 5s, and some truly stupid things on Youtube (mostly put there by me) but that list you have got there is honestly pretty good. :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:56 pm

just a minute... Lemmings at number 9? Wing Commander III at number 10?

Me and you might have to have a chat.

On another note this offended me recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXkrem6aa8

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:01 pm

3DOKid wrote:On another note this offended me recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXkrem6aa8
I'm liking the quality of his Furopon World clip :lol:, It's a very strange list really isn't it? On the one hand it has iffy mistakes like including Doom which would kinda' point to the guy not actually having much experience with the 3DO and then throws an import like furopon world into the mix.

Watching that video has actually made my mind up about Myst, screw Myst I hate that stupid, incredibly dull game, it's not going on my list, I don't care how many people have told me in the past that it's good and takes time to get into :evil:

Where the Lemmings/Wing Commander thing is concerned I'm not sure, I want the list to be balanced between genres and I would say that Lemmings is the most in depth puzzle game on the system and I felt the top 10 was a little bit action game biased

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Myst is dull. It's an inexcapable fact. It's just so boring. I hate myst more than casual games. (that's a lot of hate ;) )

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Creature Shock.
Dr Hauzer.

I liked 'em :)

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:25 pm

3DOKid wrote:Creature Shock.
Dr Hauzer.

I liked 'em :)
If Dr Hauzer is as good as I've heard I think it would certainly be worthy of going straight into the top 10, but I've decided no imports with too much Japanese writing, it only took me about 10 minutes to work out what everything did in Sailor Moon so I'm not too fussed if the language barrier doesn't effect gameplay but I'd imagine that this isn't the case with Dr Hauzer, and you probably lose a lot of the overall experience playing through using a FAQ.

Is there a fan translation of the game already out/in the works at the moment? it'd be great to add another high profile game to the list even if it is a hacked version.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:13 am

Lost Eden, Slam n' Jam, & Starblade are all awesome and belong in any 3do top list. Probably all top 20 choices for me ...
maybe I should do a list of my own? Nah, I'd just set myself up for abuse.

Your list was/is very well done. :)

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:47 pm

How about I put the gunslinger collection as my 1 light gun game for the list? kinda' cheating but I think that may be the wisest thing to do.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:18 pm

Actually, since the gunslinger collection contains the original Mad Dog, it would be very UNWISE to include it in anything but a list of worst 3DO ports ever! :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Nowt wrong with Mad Dog. (ban request!) ;)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks for doing the list jesus
it looks good and more importantly sparking debate!
Its okay to change your mind about games - I'm finding more and more my tastes have changed and my list now would be completely different to my list back in the nineties
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Trev wrote:Actually, since the gunslinger collection contains the original Mad Dog, it would be very UNWISE to include it in anything but a list of worst 3DO ports ever! :wink:
Yeah but Mad Dog 2 and Crime Patrol are both pretty good aren't they? would you rather buy one good gun game on it's own or get two at once only having to put up with a crappy 3rd one that you don't have to play anyway?

Which gun game would you personally put into the list?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Space Pirates, Corpse Killer, & Demolition Man (although it has different genres) are my fav gun games. As to Mad Dog 1 .... :evil: