Old Magazines

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Old Magazines

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:56 pm

So my 3DO magazines turned up today.

Wow. You can smell the optimism. These things are like a time machine. Reading the 'News' sections and the 'upcoming release' section is it's like anything after 1996 didn't happen.

I, personally, am still a 3DO-fanboy in denial. Perhaps refusing that 1996 ever happened (13 years ago! :shock: )

3DO magazine hinting that 3DO and Sega are working together, that Sony's PSX is 'honestly' destined to failure. 11th Guest is coming out.

I have 14 copies of this mag - it's brilliant.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:04 am

But the PSX was a failure, just not commercially. :o
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 am

3DO Experience wrote:But the PSX was a failure, just not commercially. :o
the psx was cool.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 am

There were some great articles I recently divided and sold mine between Bitrate and Trev.
Yes there was much onesided optimism but we'd just spent a months wages on the system and needed some reassurance!
We need to seriously look at having them scanned and archived over time as some other forums devoted to other consoles have done.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

mattyg wrote:There were some great articles I recently divided and sold mine between Bitrate and Trev.
Yes there was much onesided optimism but we'd just spent a months wages on the system and needed some reassurance!
We need to seriously look at having them scanned and archived over time as some other forums devoted to other consoles have done.
Yes, especially seeing as recent day retro magazines seem completely incompetent in respects to the 3DO.
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Don't get me started.

There was one article in Retro Gamer magazine that I helped a little with but since then there has been nothing.

In fairness that magazine isn't all that interested in niche machines. They only really offer lip service to anything other than the Sinclair Spectrum, Nintendo and Sega.

It becomes quite boring when you never really remember or indeed are interested in what they print. I remember one article that discussed the Pitfall series with no mention of the Jag version. I appreciate that's a pedantic point but still... on the other hand they've covered the Dreamcast and the Saturn and the VirtualBoy but not the Playstation. Why? I just find it a bit one-sided.

Not to mention the bully-boys that run the forum there. Who are the worst sort of humourless, pedantic narrow minded geeks.

Games TM is even less pre-Playstation savvy. The article they printed on 3DO was a cut down version of the article that appeared in Retro Gamer. Actually the retro gamer article was the same article with a bit more added but the foundation was the same.

And as I tried to highlight, Games(tm) is quite Nintendo blinkered with SF2 Turbo. I'm not saying that Nintendo are evil or bad, what I am saying is there were other systems. And you know what, the Nintendo version wasn't always the best (Ridge Racer, Doom, SF2, etc) but you would never guess or know reading that magazine.

The Edge Retroinspection article is, despite my changeable loathing of the magazine, actually reasonably balanced and often quite good.

You then have Eurogamer.net retro bit, which is more Nintendo, Sega, Sinclair. It's only interesting if you had/have one of these consoles and you are interested in it still. I'm not.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:00 am

3DOKid wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:But the PSX was a failure, just not commercially. :o
the psx was cool.
wanna see pics of my PS2? :twisted:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 am