Least attractive console? WHAT?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jugger
3DO ZERO USER

Least attractive console? WHAT?

Post by Jugger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 am

http://www.obsessable.com/feature/beaut ... -all-time/

I always thought the 3DO was one of the BEST looking consoles. It looks like an expensive piece of early 90's stereo equipment, and looks amazing mixed in with any other electronics, or just stand alone on a table with its metallic looking polished top.

This guy must be wrong. o.O

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 am

no wonder he went that way if he loves the look of that crap that is the ps3 and the Genesis 3, he said they got it right with the Gen 3 design. well if they got it right then why cant you use ANY of the attachments on it dumbass

and i think the Genesis 1 is one of the best looking consoles out there
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 am

The FZ1 was and is, not ugly. Although check the source. The PS3 is by no means the most beautiful console ever made but as usual this professor of gamings imagination can't stretch too far past this generation.

And to be fair most consoles fit with their era. The N64 doesn't really offend me, neither does the Genesis 1 (Megadrive) which in it's day I thought it was quite cool looking, although that Genesis 3 looks a bit cheap.

The original Xbox was spectactualrly ugly IMHO and I never thought much of of the NES. Although seeing a NES today in showroom condition it is quite pleasant.

My favourite, of all time, was one of these:

It just looks like it was stolen from a spaceship!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the dumbass jag cd add on makes it look like a toilet :lol:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:47 am

For me the jury is out on things like:

Cdi, and the Amiga CDTV.

The FZ-10, The FM Towns Marty and the CD32 were all cut from the same ugly cloth too.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:48 am

...white saturns are awesome looking, as are the white M2s.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm

the PS3 is the most sexcellent console
HAHAHA we already talked about in this forum how it looked like the FZ-10, TurboDuo & over 9000 other consoles. Same old look, all they did was add a gloss coat.

And why is the N64 in the Beast section? It has got to be one of the most stylish (if not silly) looking designs out there.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 pm

I don't think the N64 is by any means ugly but beautiful? It looks like it was designed by Fisher Price.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 pm

He's not only wrong but he's goddamn retarded!

Personally I think the PS3 looks like shit. The FZ-1 on the other hand is gorgeous.
It only took SEGA two hardware redesigns to get it right with the Genesis.
Clearly a retarded statement.

SEGA didn't even make that hardware redesign. MAJESCO DID ALONG WITH THAT ABOMINATION OF A CONTROLLER WITH BUTTONS THAT STICK AND NEVER COME BACK OUT!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:05 am

I'm no Nintendo fan or Sega fan really, but I think blind-Freddy can see that the original Megadrive was a quality item made with stylistic love and later incarnations were the product of cynical cash saving exercises.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 am

It certainly was. The 2nd model has a common problem with the AC adapter. The connection goes loose and has to be soldered back on.

The only flaw with the model one Genesis was that you could only get stereo sound from the headphone jack. But that's perfectly fine with me actually since I just stick a mixing cable in there and rout it to the back of my model 2 Sega CD.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm

The 1st model of the Atari Lynx was kinda ugly. The Xbox was ugly in the sense that it is a huge beast that takes up far too much room in my entertainment system! The fz-1 was/is very sleek. Props to the cdx too which is a sharp looking combo of 2 ugly Sega systems (and tiny to boot)

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

PS3 = giant black doorstop

Have any Sony console ever actually looked nice? .....hmmm thinking about it I think the PSOne redesign was alright but that was it

There's nothing wrong with the N64 design at all

The 3DO... well I would'nt say it's the most attractive looking console out there, it's a little bit on the big and square side of things but at least it looks sturdy :) I wouldn't call it ugly though mind you.
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:38 pm

I think Sony's styling is done by someone my age. Oddly, they always look pretty neat at the time and then retrograde badly. The PS1 is Fisher Price too. I didn't mind it at the time. I don't know where they were going with the PS2. I wouldn't say ugly, none decrepit is better but the PS3? It's 1970s retro isn't it? It wouldn't look out of place with Wilma from Buck Rogers lounging next to it or indeed Princess Leah from Starwars (gold Bikini style) chained to it. It's a bit of a original Cylons cod-piece isn't. The Spiderman font was a mistake.

The biggest travesty is the Saturn, for no other reason, other than it was supposed to be this neat Japanese goldy colour but then it was just black. Which epically disappointed me.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:42 pm

3DOKid wrote:I think Sony's styling is done by someone my age. Oddly, they always look pretty neat at the time and then retrograde badly. The PS1 is Fisher Price too. I didn't mind it at the time. I don't know where they were going with the PS2. I wouldn't say ugly, none decrepit is better but the PS3? It's 1970s retro isn't it? It wouldn't look out of place with Wilma from Buck Rogers lounging next to it or indeed Princess Leah from Starwars (gold Bikini style) chained to it. It's a bit of a original Cylons cod-piece isn't. The Spiderman font was a mistake.

The biggest travesty is the Saturn, for no other reason, other than it was supposed to be this neat Japanese goldy colour but then it was just black. Which epically disappointed me.
To put this all into context, I don't believe in ugly cars either.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:25 am

3DOKid wrote:The biggest travesty is the Saturn, for no other reason, other than it was supposed to be this neat Japanese goldy colour but then it was just black. Which epically disappointed me.
Meh, I hate colorful consoles although the Famicom beats the hell out of the disgusting NES. I love the way the Saturn looks. Hell, I even want to big up one of those Sega Sports Dreamcasts just because it's black.
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:04 am

I think the NES looks better than the Famicom. I think the Saturn looks cool and the worst looking system was the Magnavox Odyssey 4000.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Traegorn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Traegorn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:12 am

The NES and the Famicom are both ugly compared to the Sharp Twin Famicom.

The red one. :P

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 am

After today - best looking console ever - hands down - Panasonic Q
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Dont pick on the NES! I can't take it! For some reason I dont find it ugly at all. Maybe it's because I played it just about everyday. The blinking red light is the icing on the cake though! :)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:42 pm

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:19 pm

BryWI wrote:Dont pick on the NES! I can't take it! For some reason I dont find it ugly at all. Maybe it's because I played it just about everyday. The blinking red light is the icing on the cake though! :)
It fitted the era in which it was made. It looks like an extra from Starwars if you look closely. R2D2s buddy or something.

Which makes the 3DO special, as it transcends generations. Visually obviously, not technologically.

I'll start a poll!

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:37 am

The Neo-Geo CD may look ok in photos but one has to see it in person to get a feel for how crappy it really is. It is downright shoddy. Just a big chunk of cheap feeling plastic.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 am

bonefish wrote:The Neo-Geo CD may look ok in photos but one has to see it in person to get a feel for how crappy it really is. It is downright shoddy. Just a big chunk of cheap feeling plastic.
I always (always always and still do) want a NeoGeo CD system.

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 pm

The least attracive consoles in my opinion are:

Turbo Grafx 16 = Horrible cheaply made lump of plastic! PC Engine is much better :wink:

SNES (American version) = What did they do to it!! It looks horrible.... The Jap and UK versions are the best looking snes :D

My Goldstar 3DO is not much to look at either :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:01 pm

should have got an FZ1. (i keep saying it, no one listens)

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:22 pm

I actually have my eye on a sweet FZ-1 at the moment 8) It's not boxed though and pretty much all of my systems are fully boxed with everything they originally came with! My Goldstar came boxed with manuals and 15 random games.... only cost me £35 for the lot so it's not all bad :wink: