Goldstar 3DO problems....help please! (this is a long one!)

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Goldstar 3DO problems....help please! (this is a long one!)

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here as i am usually romping around the English Amiga Board forum :D

Anyway i have recently aquired a Goldstar 3do or 3d0 :?: and i am finding this console to be quite unstable or "flakey".

First of all it sometimes reboots/resets in the middle of playing games for no apparent reason :x I have no idea whats up with that?

Secondly i cannot get "Escape From Monster Manor" to load.... It does the little EA animation when the CD loads and then the screen stays blank while the CD access light is flickering green... and when i eject the game it then decides to show a corrupt game menu :cry: I have not had this problem with any other game (i have about 15 games for it).

My Goldstar 3d0 is the all grey version and not the black/grey one..... As far as i know it is the PAL model and the model number is GDO202P. Would this be the first or second revision console?

I heard the first revision Goldstar has trouble with Po'ed and Cyberia but mine seems to run them fine, I just have problems loading Monster Manor and Space Hulk has a habit of freezing when the enemies are in my face :evil:

The console randomly resetting is my main issue at the moment as i never know when it's going to happen..... and all my game CD's are in very good condition with maybe only a few "light" marks here and there.

This has got to be my longest first post ever! hope nobody got lost in it all :lol: Any help or advice is appreciated, cheers :wink:

Maybe i should have got a Panasonic..........

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Goldstar 3DO problems....help please! (this is a long on

Post by Lemmi » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 pm

PowerPie5000 wrote: Maybe i should have got a Panasonic..........
thats right :D

Welcome to the boards, i hope someone will be able to help you out

the only thing i can suggest is to clean the lens if you havent done so already

and the all grey pal version is the coolest 3DO Goldstar model
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah - should have got the FZ-1. 16 years of faultless use right here.

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 pm

I ran a lens cleaning kit but we all know how crap those things are :roll: I will probably open it up and manually swab the lens with Isopropyl tomorrow and see what happens..... But I am not sure if this will solve the random reset issue and not sure what is causing it?

Does anyone know what game titles do not run on a Goldstar 3d0? I am pretty sure my Goldstar is the second revision/model as it runs Po'ed and Cyberia fine unlike the first Goldstar release!

Also why does Space Hulk freeze when a gene stealer (enemy) gets too close? Is this a Goldstar issue too? I always thought all 3d0's had the same innards so i am guessing it's a bios issue?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Just for the record... erm, take a picture of lens for me and post it will you?

Thanks...

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Ok i will do seeing as there is practically nothing on the net regarding the Goldstar.... not even decent pics! The system can't be that bad? I may just take pics of the whole system inside and out.... if it's not too much of a pain pulling it apart :lol:

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok my Goldstar is all sorted now :D It just had a bit of a grubby lens... a bit of Isopropyl fixed it! I did take a couple of pics but cannot figure out how to post them here? I am using Mozilla Firefox.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:51 pm

I did take a couple of pics but cannot figure out how to post them here?
you need to upload them to another site first, like Photobucket or Imagevenue, then take the link they give you and post it in your message
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host