Which 3DO game has the best graphics?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Which 3DO game has the best graphics?

Post by bitrate » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:19 am

Ok, we have a thread for the best music, how about graphics? Oh, and I don't mean FMV :wink:
I personally really liked the looks of Need for Speed, Space Hulk, and Wing Commander III. I'm sure that there are other's that elude me at the moment.
Anyone out there thinking Ice Breaker?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:32 am

I am leaning towards Gex. I love the way that that game moved. D is also there as well. Yeah, I know it is an FMV game, but there you have it, an FMV Game.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:48 am

Hmm, this is a good Q.

Games with good graphics in my list would include :

-Wing Commander III
-Grand Chef RPG (perhaps not spectacular, but showed the possible future)
-Need for Speed (ALOT of potential. just left with ... well... need for speed!)
-Space Hulk was sluggish, but very stylish graphicly
-Blue Forest Story (great classic RPG style, though occasionally muddy)
-Orbatak (probably the most visually simple, but very arcade style. Get the Burger King game BIG BUMPIN' to get a semi-feel for what it's like, then move towards more of American Gladiators style presentation)
-Way of the Warrior (poor animation, but good graphics)
-Shockwave 2 (visualy very stylish)
-Floppon World (colorful puzzler)
-Housekeeper (harkening back to Maniac Mansion style, but in a good way)

Tastes vary greatly, but for me, those are some pretty decent ones that come to mind. There are others that shine in different ways. But right now, those are what I can think of.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 pm

The character models on Foes of Ali were/are great! :D I also like Star Fighter .... the draw in distance is less to be desired, but I think it is a really good show of polygon processing power.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 am

Casper
BC Racers

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:01 am

BC Racers
:shock:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:05 am

Trev wrote:The character models on Foes of Ali were/are great! :D I also like Star Fighter .... the draw in distance is less to be desired, but I think it is a really good show of polygon processing power.

Ahh... Foes of Ali. That's one of the games I couldn't think of. The character models were very impressive. Bladeforce wasn't bad either.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:14 am

Trev wrote:
BC Racers
:shock:
What? BC Racers has good graphics

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 am

What? BC Racers has good graphics
Sorry ... I thought you were being sarcastic.

BC Racers is a direct port of a 16-bit Sega cd/Megadrive game. It has one of the worst frame rates I have ever seen in a game, on top of its colors being very washed out.

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:47 am

Trev wrote:BC Racers is a direct port of a 16-bit Sega cd/Megadrive game.
For example, Tales of Phantasia for SNES, looks much better (2D part) than Lucienne's Quest for the 3DO. But, I understood that you want to say.

For me BC Racers has excellent "cartoon" graphics.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:06 am

Hmmm ... I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. 8)

I actually do enjoy cartoon graphics quite a bit, but I still think BC Racers is very, very poor looking. It's visuals are just so washed out & pixelated ... from a technical standpoint it is a huge failure!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:23 pm

What Drax said.

Luciennes Quest wasn't the 'best' and neither was 'Guardian War' but I did like their graphics. I also felt that Immercenary was pretty cool too, vision rather than ability to execute on that vision.

Casper was brilliant - and it's a brilliant game too!

BC Racer :shock: No, no, no, no.

My personal favourite was always Novastorm. The scrolling streamed from CD back drops were amazing - as was Megarace - just a shame about the games really.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:47 am

You know what? I always forget about Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13. Yiou like Cartoon graphics? Here you go. I love em'. The only thing I hate about the 3DO Dragon's Lair is the missing Burning Rope sequence, which is a shame. The only console version of Dragon's Lair that has it is actually the Jaguar version, which ports over the Laserdisc version, which means it is also rough animation wise. 3DO Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13 are easily the best console versions, visually.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 am

T2KFreeker wrote:You know what? I always forget about Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13. Yiou like Cartoon graphics? Here you go. I love em'. The only thing I hate about the 3DO Dragon's Lair is the missing Burning Rope sequence, which is a shame. The only console version of Dragon's Lair that has it is actually the Jaguar version, which ports over the Laserdisc version, which means it is also rough animation wise. 3DO Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13 are easily the best console versions, visually.
Actually, the CD-i version has the complete game, and honestly is way better than 3DO. Also, the 3DO version has scenes edited (the horse, the boat, etc) and other alterations. The Jaguar version seemed a bit more blocky to me, but its been a while since I played it.

Also, the anniversary DVD set rocks, contains the original print stuff with lost scenes from the game.

But 3DO got the best version of Brain Dead 13.

Drax

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:56 am

Gir Draxa wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:You know what? I always forget about Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13. Yiou like Cartoon graphics? Here you go. I love em'. The only thing I hate about the 3DO Dragon's Lair is the missing Burning Rope sequence, which is a shame. The only console version of Dragon's Lair that has it is actually the Jaguar version, which ports over the Laserdisc version, which means it is also rough animation wise. 3DO Dragon's Lair and Braindead 13 are easily the best console versions, visually.
Actually, the CD-i version has the complete game, and honestly is way better than 3DO. Also, the 3DO version has scenes edited (the horse, the boat, etc) and other alterations. The Jaguar version seemed a bit more blocky to me, but its been a while since I played it.

Also, the anniversary DVD set rocks, contains the original print stuff with lost scenes from the game.

But 3DO got the best version of Brain Dead 13.

Drax
You know, I always wanted a cd-i and just never have had the opportunity to pick one up. One of these days hopefully.
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 am

I've never got around to picking up Braindead 13 for 3DO. I have the Saturn version which is decent, but pixelated. Is there a big difference graphic wise on 3DO? How many discs does the game come on?

I forgot to mention Twisted earlier ... I think it has some of the best, clear fmv offered on the 3DO (minus the commercials & audience footage which was slightly grainy) Even more amazing when you consider it was released during 3DO's launch window! I also thought Mega Race had real nice fmv to compliment its so-so gameplay (I know we aren't talking about fmv, but couldn't resist)

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:41 am

Trev wrote:I've never got around to picking up Braindead 13 for 3DO. I have the Saturn version which is decent, but pixelated. Is there a big difference graphic wise on 3DO? How many discs does the game come on?
Brain Dead 13 on 3DO is the best. Very crisp, even the CD-i's MPEG pales in comparison to the style in which they did the 3DO version. (2 discs btw)

Drax

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks for the info. I 'll be looking to add BD13 to my growing 3DO collection (anyone want the Saturn version? :lol: )

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:56 am

Trev wrote:Thanks for the info. I 'll be looking to add BD13 to my growing 3DO collection (anyone want the Saturn version? :lol: )
The Saturn, Jaguar, and Playstation versions of Braindead 13 are all identical, and that's not always a good thing. The 3DO version is so spiffy, it just oozes with cleanliness. Also add in that the sound is 100 times better, well, you will see what I mean when you finally find it.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:59 am

Trev wrote:Thanks for the info. I 'll be looking to add BD13 to my growing 3DO collection (anyone want the Saturn version? :lol: )
Just be forewarned that there is a revised and original version of BD13. Some of the original BD13 games were deffective and you could not play all different options of VIVI'S SALON.

Drax

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:17 am

Gir Draxa wrote:
Just be forewarned that there is a revised and original version of BD13. Some of the original BD13 games were deffective and you could not play all different options of VIVI'S SALON.

Drax
That's a new one to me. Any obvious visual differences in the packaging of the two games?

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:49 am

theres a version 1.1 on the actual box. Also, there is a label on the unopened packaging.

Drax

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure what version I have but have had no problems with my copy of Braindead 13. I guess I sould check my box then!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 pm

I've been a big fan of BrainDead 13 - if only for the product values which seem extra-ordinarily high. Although you could say the same of the other games. (Space Ace and Dragons Lair)

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:24 am

To get the working version of BD13, ELectronics Boutique offered free replacement, all you had to do was bring in version 1.0, so alot of these 'original' versions are no gone.

Some with the 1.1 label do creep up on ebay, but it's just people who don't know what they have.

BD13 does offer some of the best of it's kind video, but not true fmv. I would love to have seen GROUND ZERO TEXAS get the 3DO treatment myself.

Drax

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Damn, he said Ground Zero Texas! I love that game. For a Sega CD FMV game, it looks damn good also. The only one that beats it out graphics wise was Wire Head.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm

I own Wire Head, and I enjoy it. Though it's gameplay is limited, I think it was one of the best of the Sega TruVideo releases. This style of game would seem ideal to start the 3DO revival actually. More interactive than Plumbers for sure ...

I think BD 13 is among the harder to find 3DO games, since it was released late in it's lifespan. I think it was released in April or May of '96. I don't see it too often on Ebay.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:30 am

Starblade, anyone?

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:46 pm

Shockwave 2 FTW

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Starblade will always get my vote - I really liked that game. (I think my Blog entry reflects this!)

3DO kid.