3DO Replacement (sequel hardware not a repair thread)

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

DMJC
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Replacement (sequel hardware not a repair thread)

Post by DMJC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 am

Ok, so I know the M2 project got kicked to the curb and was never heard from again. But the ARM architecture is still kicking around and is about to get a big fat upgrade from nvidia with the addition of an nvidia gpu core to an arm cpu. Has anyone thought about doing a sequel to the 3do? I'm thinking a modern system, doesn't have to be as powerful as ps3/xbox 360 but it needs to be accessible to programmers and preferably with backwards compatability to the 3do either via plugging into an fz-1/fz-10 or by being a standalone unit able to load 3do discs from it's own optical disc drive via an emulation mode ala freedo or some other emulator such as mess. Any thoughts?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 pm

I think the guys over at Freedo were looking at putting their emulator on an FPGA and creating a 3DO opera Mk2 so to speak. I don't know how far that got as with so many thing them guys have talked about. (I guess money and time play a part!)

I don't think an update 3DO would fly to be honest. the original struggled enough :)

DMJC
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DMJC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm

The original however cost $600+ whereas a newer console could be done a hell of a lot cheaper whilst keeping backwards compatability. Using stuff like an FPGA is a ridiculous waste of money when there are much cheaper solutions available.