Exclusive or not?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Exclusive or not?

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 am

goldenband wrote:I like the way this list of Saturn exclusives does things:

ARC - Arcade port (Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2)
CC - Classic collection that consists of either original or slightly reworked versions of older games (Sega Ages Vol.1, Phantasy Star Collection)
PC - Game had a PC release, which makes the Saturn version a console exclusive (Panzer Dragoon, Bug!)
RR - The game or its arcade counterpart was later re-released (Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun)

And then breaking things down by region.

Some of these categories are only minimally applicable to the 3DO. But having a nuanced concept of "exclusivity" can only be helpful, really.
Well, seeing as I helped contribute to Sonix's efforts in that thread, I guess I'll have to agree with you.

Because the Saturn's catalogue has become so complex (in terms of what we are discussing above re: re-releases etc) it just made sense to approach the matter that way. Would probably work for most consoles tbh. Certainly though, the Saturns library of exclusive titles has taken a dint from all the subsequent re-releases since, whether it be via PSN/XBL or even the likes of the SEGA AGES series for the PS2 in Japan, which includes the likes of Panzer Dragoon, VF2, FV etc.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Silanda wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:So following OP rules it is a 3DO exclusive.
Following OP rules yes, but personally I don't believe that they jibe with my experience as a gamer at the time at all. I was at school at the time and virtually everyone I knew owned or at least had access to a PC as well as a console. Console exclusives vs PC were important in choosing which console to buy/ask for for christmas. Ignoring contemporary PC versions (i.e. not ones that came out 2+ years later) unjustly flatters the 3DO. In 1990 you could argue that the PC gaming landscape was a separate entity to gaming in general, but by 1995 it really wasn't.
I think (emphasis on "think" because there is virtually no information available on the Windows version) that the PC versions of both the Iron Angel of the Apocalypse games were very limited and postdated the 3DO versions by a year or so. In other words, much like the PC versions of Final Fantasy VII and Sonic R, they were just for people who had already passed up on buying a console in order to get the game. So in every meaningful sense, Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return was a 3DO exclusive.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Not just how console games and PC versions can differ (ie. Killing Time), but there are still many players who only play games on one or the other. More back in the early to mid '90s than now but still even today with the crowd starting to drop PCs for tablets and non-gaming centric laptops.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:53 pm

I may have found another essentially-exclusive. It seems the 3DO version of Emit Vol. 1 has a bonus cops-and-robbers game. Screenshots below:

Image Image

There is no bonus game in the Saturn version of Emit Vol. 1; I've confirmed that personally. It seems safe to assume that there is none in the Super Famicom version either, since it predates the Saturn and 3DO versions and had less space to work with. I'm told the PlayStation version has a bonus game, but it may not be the same one. Supposedly each disc of the PlayStation version has a different bonus game, whereas the 3DO versions of Emit Vol. 2 and 3 have no bonus games. So this may be 3DO exclusive.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Well, I managed to find a YouTube video of the PlayStation version, and there's no bonus game at all. So yep, unless I've overlooked something, this is another 3DO exclusive!