How many games use the Light Gun?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

RetroGamer
3DO ZERO USER

How many games use the Light Gun?

Post by RetroGamer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello, I just today got a light gun for my 3DO. How many games will let me use it? I know of two: the mad dog games. Can anybody tell me or point me to a list? Thanks.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Not sure if this is inclusive, but it IS Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_li ... ultiplayer

desiv

RetroGamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RetroGamer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks. :) Does anybody know If the gun works on HD tv's?

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 pm

That's a good question!!!

My gut feeling is, probably not, since it was designed for CRTs, but admittedly, I haven't tested it.

It would be good to get a good complete test.
CRT - Yes
LCD -
DLP -
Plasma -
LCD Projector - (Front vs Rear?)
CRT Projector - (Front vs Rear?)
DLP Projector - (Front vs Rear?)
etc - ? :-)

desiv

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 am

LCD - no
Plasma - no
DLP - no
LCD proj - no
DLP proj -no

Don't know about CRT projector but may be dependant on screen type - all the others I have personally tested (I used to work for an electrical retailer and took my 3DO in and tested after work several times)
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:16 am

I don't have one because I had the bad judgment to be born in Europe.

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sparker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I think you just answered my question 3DOKid. I live in the UK and have always wanted a gun, I guess doesn't work on PAL TV's? What if you have a 60Hz CRT (these can display NTSC)?

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Got this from Wikipedia for the most likely method the 3DO uses:
----
When the player pulls the trigger, the computer (often assisted by the display circuitry) times how long it takes the electron beam to excite the phosphor at the location at which the gun is pointed. The light gun sends a signal after sensing the sudden small change in brightness of a point on the screen when the electron gun refreshes that spot. The computer then calculates the targeted position based on the monitor's horizontal refresh rate (the fixed amount of time it takes the beam to get from the left to right side of the screen). Either the computer provides a time base for the horizontal refresh rate through the controller's connector (as in the Super Scope), or the gun reads the composite video signal through a T-connector on the A/V cable (as in the GunCon 2). Once the computer knows where the gun is pointed, it can tell through collision detection if it coincides with the target or not.

Many guns of this type (including the Super Scope) ignore red light, as red phosphors have a much slower rate of decay than green or blue phosphors. As a result, some (but not all) games brighten the entire screen somewhat when the trigger is pulled in order to get a more reliable fix on the position.

Display timing is useless with plasma, LCD, and DLP, which refresh all pixels at the same time.
-----------

So, it needs to sense the electron as it is scanning across the screen. My guess would be that that would leave out CRT projectors too.

Also, since it calculates the timing, the refresh rate would be important for positioning. However, if a game were written to work in PAL, it should be able to do PAL positioning as easily as NTSC positioning.

So, did they not release any light gun games in PAL at all? It's just us Americans who like the feel of a handgun as we shoot bad guys? Hmmm....

desiv

(I was called a murdering American once in an airport by someone who didn't know me at all. I hate stereotyping... So I shot him.
kidding.. :-) )

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 pm

In Australia we are on PAL but even the local release 240v 3DO's were NTSC ! I've always had to use my consoles on multi system CRT's (which here at least are common) - there is no issue in using these in NTSC mode with a light gun - I have done so successfully since 1995.
Just don't bother with anything else.

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:22 pm

So, probably impossible (well) to get one of these
http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2006/02/10/l ... light-gun/
to work with a 3DO?
:? :( :wink:
desiv

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:04 am

That would be a no. Even the virtually identical sega ALG gun will not work on the 3DO!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:50 pm

the lightgun always makes me sad.

one of the main reasons for buying it. i was intent on playing crime patrol with the gun but it was never released here. :evil: