All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

A new 3DO console?

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:11 pm

Could, 3DO release a new console? to Compete with 360b/PS4/Wiii

What do you reckon?

If it was me, I would do a Wii. I.e. I wouldn't shoot for the greatest powerful console on earth. It would be super 2D capable. I would have a team of my own developers, I would license long since forgotten games, and I would update them.

I mean, the Iron Soldier license can't be expensive? Right? What about Gex? Or Wing Commander V? How about Internal System from Square Enix? Einhander 2? Viewpoint 2?

The most hardcore console ever!

I reckon, a last gen console, with not cool, but chique games.

Sold at $200, with 5 must have games. 3DOx2. :)

Mobius

Re: A new 3DO console?

Post by Mobius » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

3DOKid wrote:Sold at $200, with 5 must have games. 3DOx2. :)
That doesn't sound very 3DO to me! But in all seriousness, there is a small community (mainly, us) that understands and respects the 3DO name, but most people hold it in very low esteem. Putting it on any new system would probably get a little bit of initial publicity for its novelty, but I suspect most people would immediately write it off.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 am

It would only ever be limited - I'd much prefer to see an M2 limited edition release complete with the arcade games - now that would be something - but you'd only really be looking at about 1000 units and a ridiculous price of at least $1000 each - even at that I'd buy one though!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

OfManNotMachine
3DO ZERO USER

Post by OfManNotMachine » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:19 am

I dunno. While your idea may work for another company looking to break into the hardware market with little risk, that just isn't what 3DO Was about.

Trip Hawkins vision, at least to me was about being generations ahead of the competetion. I mean, when 3DO came out, there was NOTHING like it. Genesis and SNES had nothing on the 3DO.

The entire failure of 3DO was from the launch price of $799.99 I think it was? Perhaps it was $699, either way....WAY Too much. If 3DO had produced the hardware themselves, and we're able to take a loss on the hardware themselves, and get it back with software sales, perhaps a $399 launch price, I think things would've been alot different. More consoles would've sold, more games would've sold, more games would've been released etc...

Which I think also would've meant we'd have seen the M2. Which was if I recall, almost Dreamcast like specs, but 4 or 5 years ahead of it's time? Something to that effect.

As much as I'd love to see it, and support, I don't think the gaming economy can support 4 consoles right now. I've read Square Soft wants to release a console in the next generation of systems, but really...wheres the room for 4? I just don't see it. I think 3DO has been out of the game long enough where some people, wouldn't even know who the hell they were.

It'd have to be something way more advanced than anything out there.

Sadly, I think Trip Hawkins is content with Digital Choclate for the time being and making cell phone games

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

OfManNotMachine wrote:(...)
Sadly, I think Trip Hawkins is content with Digital Choclate for the time being and making cell phone games
yes:

I founded and built Electronic Arts and am too old to easily admit how long I have been designing games. I have an overload of opinions and since I won’t shut up, why not put some of it down in a blog? I can take gamers behind the scenes and exchange views with industry colleagues. More importantly, gaming is no longer the sole province of the console or the hardcore gamers. Today’s gamer is online and mobile; and they depend on the web for information and links that get them to downloads and new kinds of fun. Let’s do this!

http://blog.digitalchocolate.com/

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Post by cdoty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

It could be done with something like the Beagle board (http://beagleboard.org/); which does have an ARM processor and an OpenGL ES chipset.

But, how do you make it a '3DO' console?

The obvious choice would be to sell some sort of 'personality module' that would turn it into a 3DO, and also allow it to run 'new' software. The 'personality modules' would also allow it to appeal to other classic gaming fans.

And, would you pay the $150-$200 that these would cost?

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Personally, I think any new 3DO effort should be some form of "pack-in" technology. It would be like how certain DVD players have/had the Virtual Light Machine (VLM) built in for playing Audio CDs.
However, rather than a VLM, this technology would be a cut-down game system, based on 3DO architecture (or at least bearing the 3DO name) that could be built into high-end A/V components.
To be honest, I've always been surprised that one of the original 3DO licensees didn't do this already. Build a 3DO into a case that could be set up as part of a home stereo, or something, I mean.
What d'you people think?
"C'mon, let's go give somebody a bad day!"

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:07 am

I can definitely see this happening, if you can get it to the TV manufacturers.

They are already embedding streaming in TVs.. It only makes sense, a TV that handles streaming, web browsing and games; all downloadable content..

The problem? You might get Vizio and Sharp, but Sony would be a hard sell.. For some reason, I sense a problem there.. :-)

However, it could work, especially if you are NOT aiming at the high end.
You'd need to still leave room for the Sony's, N's, and MS's to still be able to sell their hardcore gamer consoles...

It's possible it could be done and licensed in such a way that it doesn't add $700 to the price of each TV.. :-)

desiv

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:39 am

Personally, I was thinking it could be built into DVD or Blu-Ray players, or home hi-fi grade CD players.
It wouldn't be complicated, mostly a software system to cut down on physical components, probably with only a CPU and a few megabytes of RAM.
Like I said, it wouldn't be an ACTUAL 3DO, but maybe it could emulate the original hardware for older games.
Our best bets for a manufacturer would most likely be Sharp, RCA, maybe JVC...
Probably, we could interest high-end manufacturers in including it in their ultra-high-end products, companies like Pioneer and Marantz might work for that...
We wouldn't be aiming at the high-end necessarily, but probably if a product costs enough, a manufacturer would license the technology to increase the value a little bit by adding an extra feature, if the cost of said feature was negligible.
From there, it could spread to the rest of the industry, if the cost of adding the technology was low enough...
"C'mon, let's go give somebody a bad day!"