What reaction do gamers give you on your 3DO collection?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

What reaction do gamers give you on your 3DO collection?

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:20 pm

I usually get the same lines for both the 3DO and Jaguar;

"There were that many games for the 3DO?"

"Oh, the 3DO. The Playstation was better."

"What's a 3DO system?"

Very sad indeed, especially the Playstation comment as i really hate the damn thing. I flirted with the machine for awhile, but soon after just felt jaded as most of the games on the system flat out suck balls.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Yep, I usually get the "Wow, that sounds like a great collection, too bad it's the 3DO". :x

I can't believe what a bad reputation the 3DO has :shock:
Christ, it wasn't THAT bad!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:02 am

bitrate wrote:Yep, I usually get the "Wow, that sounds like a great collection, too bad it's the 3DO". :x

I can't believe what a bad reputation the 3DO has :shock:
Christ, it wasn't THAT bad!
All things being relative - it probably was. Compared to the Jaguar it was, of cause, pretty good - although it's amazing, considering the 3DOs Japanese support, what games the 3DO didn't have and the Jag did have.

A big Stompy robot game in the form of Iron Soldier (I, II & III?) a 2D shoot 'em up in the form of Raiden and a top down racer, a la Power Drive Rally. Now - don't get me wrong, the Jag was really rubbish but the 3DO had some gaping holes. how about a 3D fighter? FIght for life while 3D was no Tekken. ...but where was the 3DO 3D figher? Ballz?

Plus it carried the can for the whole 1st Gen CD machines. CD32, JagCD, SegaCD, FM Towns, etc., they were all rubbish compared to the Saturn and the PSX but the 3DO took the brunt of it. Where ever there was CD game related cliche, the 3DO was waving the banner for that particular genre. Edutainment? Interactive Movie? FMV and no game.

Although it's amazing what Sega and Sony learnt from the 3DO.

As to peoples reaction to my collection - well I've had a number of reactions.

Most people (colleagues) 'Geek btw, what's a 3DO?'
My mother-in-law 'Isn't he a bit old for games?'
My parents 'Haven't you thrown that in the bin yet?'
The wife 'Can I play D again?'
My brother 'You sad, pathetic, geek' to which respond 'grow some hair' (in joke)

Everyone else 'Complete awe'. (Well almost!)

3DO Kid.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:26 am

"3DO? What's that?"

That's the only response I've ever gotten.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:27 am

Mobius wrote:"3DO? What's that?"

That's the only response I've ever gotten.
same here plus these 2

"Isnt that the $700 shitty videogame system?"

exact quote

"oh i heard of that system but never saw one"
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:15 am

Man, the days have rolled by for me with this. I so remember the launch of the system like it was testerday. People actually lined up for the 3DO at the store I worked at, Game Dude in North Hollywood, by the way. It pissed me off thoogh as the hype was done, it seemed in like a week. Nobody cared about the machine anymore, and that really did kill me. I so thought that Crash N' Burn was awesome. The Batman demo on the Demo disc just wowed the Hell out of me too! Loved it man, loved it.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm

It is kinda funny how the 3DO hasn't aged well, because I remember from late '94 to mid - late '95 it was pretty popular (atleast here in the States) It got a lot of shelf space at the games stores, and most mags had a fair chunk devoted to 3DO w/many positive reviews.

I honestly think the 'Army Men' series destroyed the 3DO name, and all associated with it.

benny32
3DO ZERO USER

Post by benny32 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 am

I agree with the playstation comment. I have no idea why that turd was able to stomp on the Saturn and the N64. I understand that if you absolutely must have anime style rpgs that you needed a playstation, but there were so many other great games available for the Saturn and 64

I cannot imagine being a gamer in the mid to late 90's without a Saturn and N64. Too many groundbreaking titles that just made the whole decade of the 90's the true golden age of gaming. Its no wonder virtual consoles on todays systems are in demand.

The transition to the PS2, Xbox, and GC into the mainstream caused the industry to lose its hobbiest quality. I dont know how I can survive this year without E3.

dawid22
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dawid22 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 pm

I reckon the PS1 was alright, so was the Saturn and N64... what I do not get is why people are buying the damn PSP? The DS is such an awesome piece of hardware and sales show it, but people still buy the PSP for games that are available on PS2?????

Anyway, my 3DO collection consists of a mere 14 games as in South Africa it is very difficult to find anything really. However, people here have absolutely no idea what a 3DO is... so they are quite amazed when I tell them that that Panasonic had this awesome system when people were still playing Mega Drive games :) ... then I show them Gex as it is the only game that they can relate to as it was on the PS1 as well.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:52 pm

The PSP saved my sanity. It's a cracked, patched and modified PSP with a 4Gb Memory stick that has, currently, 2001 (the movie), Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1), Ridge Racer 2 and a couple of CDs. I sit on a train for 1 hour 30 mins (ish) every day and the PSP saved my mind.

ALl it needs is a port of Freedo and I can lose the plot again!

3DO Kid!