FZ-10 won't read discs...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Anonymous

FZ-10 won't read discs...

Post by Anonymous » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I just got a used 3DO FZ-10 system and it will start up just fine, but it won't read any games. I'm not sure that the lens is moving like it should. I swabbed the lens eye very carefully with a cotton swab (I didn't rub) to see if the lens was dirty, but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

The guy I got the system from said he tested it, but I assume that he just booted it up to make sure that it powered up. I doubt that he tried any games in it. I just need to know if the system is a lost cause or if it can be saved. I just need to know if the system is a lost cause or if it can be saved.

The laser hasn’t moved at any point since I started it up. The system makes a grinding noise like it's trying to read the games but it's having trouble. The spindle rotates a CD with no problem. By the way, I tried 3DO game discs and music CDs. Neither of them worked.

I opened the system up and for some reason, and at first, there was a combination of disintegrated dried-up leaves and glitter like the kind that kids use for craft projects inside the system. I cleaned out all of the debris and that didn’t do the trick.

After consulting a few members on another retro forum, they suggested that the problem might have something to do with the laser not getting the signal to move into position instead of the laser motor. I noticed that there is only one motor and according to the FZ-1 FAQ I found, it is most like the spindle motor which seems to be working fine. Is there such a thing as a laser motor and where would that be on the FZ-10?

It was also suggested that it may be a hardware problem because the hardware isn’t getting the signal to check for a disc. I don’t know if that’s something I can solve.

Are there any 3DO FZ-10 owners out here who might be able to offer any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated! I would prefer pics since I’m not technical myself. Thanks in advance!

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 pm

It could be something as simple as a bad door switch. I've never been inside an FZ-10... or any 3do! They work so well, mostly! To check for a door switch you'll need to jump it closed some how. Maybe someone else can chime in for the method most effective for the FZ-10

Superhero360
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Superhero360 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:27 am

Oh that just sucks. I never had a FZ-10 but I have a FZ-1 since the first day. I just set it back up after many years of not being powered on. At first the CD door when opened closed itself again right away. It did that a few times but now it's working fine again. Just keep on trying. Electronic doesn't like it and acts up if not being used for some time. I hope you can get your Panasonic fixed. Crossing my fingers for you.

cu
Superhero360

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 am

It sounds like the gears might be jammed on the laser assembly. I've had this happen with other systems. Open it up, and give a good push to move the laser to a different position. Then lube it up with some electronics grease to be extra safe.