All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

STAR TREK: NOW MINE

Post by Devin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 pm

As you've already noticed...

STAR TREK The Next Generation 3DO Game Production Art

Thought I'd create an individual thread for this specific game and the concept artwork. I'm slightly interested in buying this but cringe from the price tag. What would you guys say if I were to suggest a group purchase? Whoever wants to be the leader of this group purchase could then scan the images at high resolution and distribute them to whoever contributed. If we can get 10 3DO addicts together that'd be around $55 per person presuming the $500 doesn't increase!

Just an idea, let me know your thoughts! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Hmmm .... sorry, I'll have to pass. I am interested in this title, and from what I saw of the auction it does look interesting, but not enough for the price. Plus, I'm getting married in two weeks :D so the bulk of my money is tied up at the moment.

Not a bad idea though, and I wouldn't be opposed to something similar in the future.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: STAR TREK: A WORLD FOR ALL SEASONS

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Devin wrote:As you've already noticed...

STAR TREK The Next Generation 3DO Game Production Art

Thought I'd create an individual thread for this specific game and the concept artwork. I'm slightly interested in buying this but cringe from the price tag. What would you guys say if I were to suggest a group purchase? Whoever wants to be the leader of this group purchase could then scan the images at high resolution and distribute them to whoever contributed. If we can get 10 3DO addicts together that'd be around $55 per person presuming the $500 doesn't increase!

Just an idea, let me know your thoughts! :D
...Ok I could just buy it for myself - and then host it somewhere and give you guys copies...

I'd be tempted to buy it, copy it and then put it somewhere safe. 'off site' so to speak...

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:03 pm

I would say that in cases like that its better to wait. I dont think he will sell for that much and the maybe he relists with lower starting price.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:07 pm

intresting that you're so intrested in it. The only thing that seems to link the two is the advertisment. Other than that, it seems like a bunch of fan drawings. Now production stills and working preview video, that would be intresting. As it is, it's not worth 1/5 the price.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:18 pm

pitsunami wrote:I dont think he will sell for that much and the maybe he relists with lower starting price.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Plus it gives me more time to authenticate this is the real deal.

To me these things are brilliant pieces of game design documentation. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure Gir! :wink:

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Devin wrote: To me these things are brilliant pieces of game design documentation. One mans rubbish is another mans treasure Gir! :wink:
Hey, not saying it's rubbish, just saying it's very hard to authenticate. I'd be more intrested in it if it came with more to back it up. Spectrum Holobyte was very hard to get info out of, and it'd just be surprizing to find the items spreading so wide apart (TN & CA), but it's not unheard of. I'd just be intrested to see more. Would love the CES promos they had.

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:40 am

its back

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-TREK-The-Next- ... dZViewItem

and cheaper

i had a hard time deciding which of the 3 threads to put it in :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:34 pm

told ya,now maybe we can gather some money and buy it???

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:48 am

You did tell us and we waited! :D

Having a hard time getting any of the developers to talk. I'll try again this week so they can hopefully autheticate this work. Ideally I'd love to get a story out of this, of course the digitised images would be the sweetner for you guys!

So what's the plan of attack guys? I have plenty of hardware/software to scan with :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I have money. :wink: Depends right. i do not want to go head-to-head with anyone here. In my view many people here are not only more diligent collectors but in many respects more deserving. However - I'm happy to 'share' - you follow?

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:18 am

That's why we need to discuss this now! :D

Perhaps we could make some sort of arrangement? Just an idea but what if one person buys the entire collection then anyone interested can contribute, say $30 + Postage to have the original material reproduced in high quality prints and sent direct to them. It's one way to share the burden, then a lower quality JPG image could be used for internet purposes.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:33 pm

...lets see if he drops the price a third time ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:47 pm

OK these are now mine. As soon as I know what i have - I'll make sure everyone is taken care of. ;)

Devin got them verified - so they are legitimate. So this is as close as we can get to the 3DO Star Trek game and it's my first truly rare item - so, let us see what happens!

3DO Kid.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Congratulations!
Cool stuff. I also thought about bidding on those, but didn't have the time to dig into their authenticity.
That's one hell of a nice addition to your collection :wink:

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:52 pm

:( :( I wish i had the money...anyway im glad it was bought from someone in this forum.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Congratulations! :D

Hopefully we can have an extended chat to the artists behind the game and publish our findings here.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:03 am

I was about to buy it this month for my GTW website. Too bad... didn't had the money to buy it immediately last month.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:37 pm

I finally got round to sending these to Devin and the young fella has already been at the scanner.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Pretty :P

Had a little time to experiment some more and decided to scan a web friendly version (100 DPI Resolution, Small File Size) and also an archive version (Between 300 - 600 DPI, Stupendous File Size!). So it'll be a comprehensive Digital Archive of this work, just take a little time to finish it! Some of the stuff isn't very good but thankfully much of the Star Trek artwork is amazing. Especially true of the Alien concepts! If I get the chance I'll try and do a few tonight.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:12 pm

My honest feelings were a combination of disappointment and complete wonderment. Some of the art is, to be honest, rubbish. Some of it intriguing and others outstanding. It's a weird thing to own because obviously most of us only just remember the advert - and it's even weirder when I think I own all that is left. Especially since so many people seem to remember it.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 am

There is a preview for this game in one of my old EGMs and they had screenshots. Were these shots ingame or target renders? I was sooo excited when I saw this preview and then the game never came to fruition :( . How far into development was this game?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:39 am

My impression is that it didn't get far -- and I've seen that advert too, it was kicking around on the web at one point, I get the impression they were simply renders.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:26 pm

Found this video and at 1:34 is where the 3DO version of the Star Trek game starts :D .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nqX_xDqNmOY

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:05 pm

I'd say that's either a very early 'concept demo' of the game or an entirely different project as it bears no relation to the artwork and storyline contained in the material 3DOKid purchased.

I'm gonna scan more this week so the kid can post them up here! :D

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 am

I would guess that what was in the video is much further along than the artwork as the artwork and storyline would likely have been done before the actual programming of anything. It's likely either preliminary rough draft ideas or was deemed not doable by the 3DO. From what I saw of the artwork, it really looks more preliminary than anywthing as it appears they are trying to hash out ideas on paper before really getting into a storyline. There were story elements mentioned, but ir looked piecemeal to me. I guess there could have been a LOT more originally than what was sold, and then again it could have been a lot or art/paperwork from various points in the process, some really early, others much later on. It's really impossible to tell without someone who actually worked on the game or that artwork telling us more.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:11 pm

I really wish I could find more info on this game. I am a huge TNG fan and a 3DO nut.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:51 pm

Doskias wrote:I really wish I could find more info on this game. I am a huge TNG fan and a 3DO nut.
Brother - I hear you. We will be with you soon. :wink: