Thinking about getting into 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

YoshiFtJ
3DO ZERO USER

Thinking about getting into 3DO

Post by YoshiFtJ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I recently went into a local comic book/video game store, and I noticed they have a boxed R-E-A-L 3DO/f2-1 Game System for $100. That store is also having a 50% off sale this weekend, so the system will be $50, and that is almost too good to pass up.

I am an avid classic game collector. I am currently collecting games for Sega Master System, TurboGrafx 16, and (my favorite of all systems) Japanese import Sega Saturn. So I am thinking, why not 3DO?

Here is the little hiccup in my plan: I know next to nothing about the 3DO. All I know is that it has several manufacturers for the console itself and didn't fare too well here in the USA.

So I what I am asking you: What does the 3DO offer me? I am mostly interested in Japanese import games (I've always preferred classic Japanese games over American ones). Is this something I should get into?
Current Collection: 0

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm

A boxed FZ-1 3DO for $50 is a pretty good deal. Even $100 is not so bad for one, boxed. But I would not go much higher than that.

I think I seen you over at PCENGINEFX didn't you just get a new TurboGrafx?

Anyways, welcome to the loony bin.. err.. I mean the mad house, uh club.

If you are into import games, there are some Japanese exclusives on the 3DO. But in all honestly I wouldn't consider it a worthy import console, because just about everything released there, was released here. There are a few exceptions though.

Lucky for you, all 3DO's are region free.

I'd say be there waiting for the doors to open on opening day and nab that sucker before someone else does!

And I'm sure that if you ask about the 3DO on any other forums, half the people will say it sucks. Most of them don't know what the hell they are talking about in my own personal opinion. Dive into one and create your own personal opinion of the console, but I think you'll like it.

No need to get all into a huge list of what games you need to buy for it. Get it first then maybe we can figure that out.

Good luck!

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T.A.P. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Did they have any games to go with the system? I don't know about where you live, but around here 3DO stuff almost never shows up locally.

If you're trying to collect 100% complete copies of games then 3DO can be a real nightmare to collect for (worse than TG16 if you're trying to complete US games with the outer cardboard box).

The packaging wasn't standardized and it can be very hard to determine if a game is complete. Some games come in longbox similar to how early DVDs were packaged (cardboard case with a plastic flap that snaps shut), while others came in a cardboard longbox with with a jewel case inside that depending on the release may or may not have an oversized manual, and front insert for the jewel case, a back insert for the jewel case, a manual that fits in the front of the jewel case, and other oddities.

With all that being said, it's a fun system (especially for $50) as long as you understand going in that it can be difficult to find games (let alone good ones) for the system locally, especially complete ones (if you're into that sort of thing).

Judging by your preferred systems, I'd wager you're into 2D vertical/horizontal shooters, which the 3DO has none of, as far as I know. It does have some good early 3D games, and a mighty stockpile of games with cheesy FMV (which I'm rather fond of personally).

I'm not trying to scare you off from buying one, I'm just trying to inform.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Yeah it's lacking in the shooter department, which kind of blows. I am a huge shooter fan myself (R-Type, Thunderforce, etc).

Yeah collecting 3DO games locally is pretty much not going to happen. I mean, you might see something pop up here and there in a flea market or something, but really, the internet is your only place. Last time I checked though Ebay had over 1,000 available. It's too bad they like to charge way too much on Ebay, for a loose CD even.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:47 pm

oldskool wrote: because just about everything released there, was released here.

Actually, that's not true. A vast majority of Japanese 3DO titles were not released here (in US).
Out of around 235 titles released in Japan for the 3DO, about 160 were unique to Japan and not released in the US. That's close to 70%.

Total (known) number of 3DO titles (all regions) is close to 350.

YoshiFtJ
3DO ZERO USER

Post by YoshiFtJ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I was looking at the imports and there seemed to be some pretty good titles. I want to grab the Sailor Moon game because well, I was a Sailor Moon fan back in my day and Policenauts because it is a fantastic game.

I am a fan of almost every genre of game so it won't be hard to find some things I will like, assuming it is a good game in general.

I will be focusing on imports though. I am pretty sure (although I could be wrong, saying this is day 1 for me) that they all used the standardized Jewel case for all their games over there.

And yeah, I just got a Turbo a few days ago. I am on PCEngineFX and also SMS Tribute/Sega8Bit for the Master System collection I got going on.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:39 am

bitrate wrote:
oldskool wrote: because just about everything released there, was released here.

Actually, that's not true. A vast majority of Japanese 3DO titles were not released here (in US).
Out of around 235 titles released in Japan for the 3DO, about 160 were unique to Japan and not released in the US. That's close to 70%.

Total (known) number of 3DO titles (all regions) is close to 350.
Oh, my bad.

YoshiFtJ
3DO ZERO USER

Post by YoshiFtJ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 pm

The sale wasn't this weekend but on May 1st (the ad said Weekend Sale but I asked about it, they said May 1st) so I have to wait a little on my console :(

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 am

In the meantime hope that no one picks it up. Meanwhile, make sure you have the money in hand, ready to go. And be there the minute they open up because someone else might have their eyes on it too.

YoshiFtJ
3DO ZERO USER

Post by YoshiFtJ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 am

oldskool wrote:In the meantime hope that no one picks it up. Meanwhile, make sure you have the money in hand, ready to go. And be there the minute they open up because someone else might have their eyes on it too.
Yup yup. My friend and I will be showing up when they open. They have a few games and a Turbo system I want to grab while I am there.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 am

There are many many Japanese only games that appeared on the 3DO :
RPG's include Sword & Sorcery (as your avatar shows) , Grand chef and bizarre combat type games such as Insector Wars.
There are many anime based titles besides Policenauts including Belizerion, Deep Blue Fleet , Takeru , and Macaroni.
If sailor moon is of interest than also check out Yu Yu hakushu and Ultraman .

Blue Chicago Blue , Yamamura Misa Suspense ........the list goes on!

Also purchasing and importing titles from Japan is neither expensive or difficult - one company I often use is risingstuff.com who are are very reasonably priced and there are many others - so sit back and enjoy!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:14 pm

FYI: Sword & Sorcery is Lucienne's Quest.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes I second Rising Stuff. I've got many a PC Engine game from them, and even a PC Engine Duo -R console. Their shipping is respectable and they seem to have great service.

Alex and Sensei are great guys.