Anyone ever seen or heard of Hover Trax game footage?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Anyone ever seen or heard of Hover Trax game footage?

Post by mattyg » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Whilst going through some old magazine back issues i found an article with a developer talking about EA's failed attempts at arcade games. He had been working on a title called "hover trax" that was canned a month before being released. It was a sports game that involved players on hover boards passing a ball and scoring points. What is most interesting though is when he mentions that it was up and running on 3DO hardware , hinting that the 3DO version was completed and was probably going to be released as an arcade tie in................mmmmmmmmmmm.

Anybody know anything of this..........
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Never heard of, or seen anything about this. Sounds interesting though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

paging Bitrate to thread, Bitrate to the thread please.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:03 am

How big is the article Matty? Does it have any pics? What mag is it from? Is it worth scanning?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 am

I may have some documentation on this. Unfortunately, those docs may be in storage. I'll have a look and get back to you.
I have not ever heard of or seen any code for the game though.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 pm

The article was quite small - in fact I missed it on first read through - I'll dig it out tomorrow. The larger article was dealing with EA's attempts at the arcade market. I am in no doubt that this game was finished and hope the code is out there somewhere.
It was in an issue of Retro Gamer from late last year.

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Do you know which issue? I subscribe to Retro Gamer, but I'm woefully behind on reading it.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:27 am

Issue 67 page 82 - it was an interview with Bob Flanagan of Gauntlet & Paperboy fame.
Its in an aside box labelled EA no way.
He describes its non release as "probably the biggest heartbreak of my career" & "We had prototypes running on 3DO hardware..." and goes on to say that it was a cross between skateboarding , hockey and basketball.

Bob's work is legendary and if someone of his calibre was upset at its non release than this must have been something special.

I sincerely hope that this code still exists.