Novastorm PS1 is a bit rubbish.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Novastorm PS1 is a bit rubbish.

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 am

This has come as something of a shock to me. I've seen the PS1 butcher 3DO games before but this is astonishing.

Novastorm 3DO is quite elegant, the scenery is streamed from CD, sure, okay, but it looks aces. The gritty cyberpunk feel is very pronounced on the 3DO version and the music is brilliant.

The PS1 version just isn't. It comes on two discs, and the palette and graphics are a mess. The story (FMV acting) is gone, along with the music.

I am stunned...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 pm

What PS1 game(s) "butcher" 3DO game(s)? (or are you not just talking about ports?)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:39 pm

Well, for starters.

- Novastorm.
- Need For Speed
- Wing Commander III
- Star Fighter
- Space Hulk.

They all suffer, from what I remember, from a dumbing down and palette murder. Novastorm streaming backgrounds in the PS1 are truly dreadful. (the same with NFS)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Here is the 3DO version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itiyjJ2J9lY

Here is the PS1 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU_0Q3P8 ... re=related

it's just nasty.

MadMan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MadMan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 am

3DOKid wrote:Here is the 3DO version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itiyjJ2J9lY

Here is the PS1 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU_0Q3P8 ... re=related

it's just nasty.
:shock:

How is that even the same game!?!?!?
This one's for johnny!!!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 am

Hm.. I don't know, a matter of taste, I suppose. I actually originally played the PSX version and found that one to be faster-paced with faster, larger firepower and a more all-out arcade-style feel. The full-screen video was a nice touch, too.

I tried out the 3DO version for the first time well after playing the PSX game and found it to be a different experience. I like them both, but the PSX version screams "Let's blow **** up" whereas the 3DO version is more like, "Hey guys, look at these awesome backgrounds!"..IIRC, I think the level layout in the 3DO version is different, too (I will have to go watch some videos to remember correctly, so I will put my foot in my mouth for now).

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:23 am

Austin wrote:Hm.. I don't know, a matter of taste, I suppose. I actually originally played the PSX version and found that one to be faster-paced with faster, larger firepower and a more all-out arcade-style feel. The full-screen video was a nice touch, too.

I tried out the 3DO version for the first time well after playing the PSX game and found it to be a different experience. I like them both, but the PSX version screams "Let's blow **** up" whereas the 3DO version is more like, "Hey guys, look at these awesome backgrounds!"..IIRC, I think the level layout in the 3DO version is different, too (I will have to go watch some videos to remember correctly, so I will put my foot in my mouth for now).
To be honest you are probably right. I always enjoyed Novastorm 3DO for the journey the game sucks.

The PS1 version does have better power-ups and appears to have more action, but it does look like a bag of nails.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 am

Silly me, I thought 'butcher" like 'PS1 games destroy (are better) than 3DO games ... :oops:

Yeah, I've yet to see a 3DO port surpass the original. Of course, they were probably just dialing them in to get more titles in the early months, but still.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:30 am

Trev wrote:Silly me, I thought 'butcher" like 'PS1 games destroy (are better) than 3DO games ... :oops:

Yeah, I've yet to see a 3DO port surpass the original. Of course, they were probably just dialing them in to get more titles in the early months, but still.
ah no. Butchered as in made a mess of.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 am

I suspect 3DO ports suffered from a lot of what PS3 users see; minimal effort to build upwards or address problems created by the conversion.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:34 pm

You know I was actually talking to another girl at work yesterday about game ports. More specifically Symphony of the Night/Nocturne in the Moonlight and how each one had highs and lows over the other. Technically neither was really a port. But it also got me talking about "building upwards" when the Resident Evil series went to GameCube. I mean they did a fantastic job. 1 looked awesome (zero even better) but it's like they ran out of money when they got to RE2. My fav game in the series and it looked so sad.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:27 pm

For the sake of the narrative here, I'm only going to throw out that "building up" is a lot easier than "down".