Doom on 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Doom on 3DO

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:05 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote:Well, they went out of business because they released the 3DO version of DOOM! Really sad. Seriously though, from what I read in that translation, they ever seem to admit that the 3DO version of DOOM isn't up to par, which really is very sad. I don't know what to say about the game, personally. I remember when I went to Software Etc. and my friend worked there and he was telling me that the 3DO version was worse than the 32X version. I kind of liked the 32X version of the game, but still couldn't believe it was worse. From my limited knowledge at the time, I felt he was telling the truth back then and was really sad. Now I know it isn't true just because of the stuff the 3DO version has in it that the 32X version doesn't, but it isn't that much better either way. I so wanted to love the 3DO version and even though I don't hate it, I'm still so sad when I boot it up because so much better could have come from this version.
Yeah, it's like the 3DOs own "Checkered Flag"... huh? :?

Still enjoy it but... should have been SO MUCH better...
No, I don't think I would go that far because I would rather play DOOM on the 3DO before Checkered Flag on the Jaguar any day. At least DOOM for the 3DO is still playable. Checkered Flag is a total mess and is basically unplayable in it's released state without doing tricks and crap and even then, the game sucks bad.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Yeah, it's like the 3DOs own "Checkered Flag"... huh? :?

T2KFreeker wrote:No, I don't think I would go that far because I would rather play DOOM on the 3DO before Checkered Flag on the Jaguar any day. At least DOOM for the 3DO is still playable. Checkered Flag is a total mess and is basically unplayable in it's released state without doing tricks and crap and even then, the game sucks bad.
Hmmm. Think you completely missed my point tbh, as I wasn't directly comparing both games to one another. I was simply likening their same level of inability to fulfil their suspected potential, per platform.

Both should have been great and both are painful to play, objectively speaking, regardless of how you feel about each title, personally.

If anything, because Doom isn't unique to the 3DO platform, it happens to be an even bigger offender vs CFs Jaguar exclusive status, as CF is true "what could have been?" material vs Doom on 3DOs "what SHOULD have been!" material ;)

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:07 pm

As much more popular this system was than the Jaguar I am surprised there is not a more active homebrew scene. It looks like even the Jaguar may soon have Chocolate Doom ported to it. How accurate are the emulators for 3do?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:18 pm

a31chris wrote:As much more popular this system was than the Jaguar I am surprised there is not a more active homebrew scene. It looks like even the Jaguar may soon have Chocolate Doom ported to it. How accurate are the emulators for 3do?
From what I understand, they are pretty good, actually. I wouldn't know as I avoid the emulators,. as you know. Just like having the stuff run on the actual hardware. To be honest with you, I think the aspirations of a great homebrew community were left dead a long time ago as it seemed to take forever for the Disc Encryption to be found. I'm not even sure that it's the same way they did it back in the day or if it's an actual work around written by someone else at this point. It seems that a few people have come into the scene with ideas for projects but they fade away. Charles Doty being one of them. I don't think the 3DO needs to be one of the systems with Frog Feast on it, to be honest. Again, I am not against someone making a new game fior the 3DO though. In the end, I see it being this way; The 3DO community isn't like the Jaguar community in that we will gobble up every little thing that comes our way and we generally don't smooch buttcheek very well either. I am not saying that everyone in the Jaguar community is that way, but there are a HUGE chunk of users that are. The last full releases I remember seeing were Ice Breaker 2, then there were the Older Games releases, whereas two of those also were released by Good Deal Games. There's also Blabla doing his stuff down in the programming section. Other than that, I just don't know what to tell you.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm

A lot of the homebrew scenes idolization in the Jaguar community comes from largely, such a small library with so few good titles so anything that does come out gets gobbled up quick.

Maybe the 3do does not attract much homebrew is because there is a relatively large and excellent library for it. And that can raise the bar pretty high instead of just 8 bit title shovelware being glorified.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:17 pm

a31chris wrote:A lot of the homebrew scenes idolization in the Jaguar community comes from largely, such a small library with so few good titles so anything that does come out gets gobbled up quick.

Maybe the 3do does not attract much homebrew is because there is a relatively large and excellent library for it. And that can raise the bar pretty high instead of just 8 bit title shovelware being glorified.
Good point. However, there are a couple of genre's that wwere very badly utilized on the 3DO I would love to see get some more stuff like the Shooters(Not the FPS kind), and also some more nicely done platformers would have been really cool. Another nicely done fighter would have been cool too. Mind you, Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown are awesome, but something more would have been cool. I understand Eye of Typhoon was cool too, just out of anyone's reach for the common gamer due to a ridiculous price. RPG's anyone?

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
NeoGeoNinja wrote:Yeah, it's like the 3DOs own "Checkered Flag"... huh? :?

T2KFreeker wrote:No, I don't think I would go that far because I would rather play DOOM on the 3DO before Checkered Flag on the Jaguar any day. At least DOOM for the 3DO is still playable. Checkered Flag is a total mess and is basically unplayable in it's released state without doing tricks and crap and even then, the game sucks bad.
Hmmm. Think you completely missed my point tbh, as I wasn't directly comparing both games to one another. I was simply likening their same level of inability to fulfil their suspected potential, per platform.

Both should have been great and both are painful to play, objectively speaking, regardless of how you feel about each title, personally.

If anything, because Doom isn't unique to the 3DO platform, it happens to be an even bigger offender vs CFs Jaguar exclusive status, as CF is true "what could have been?" material vs Doom on 3DOs "what SHOULD have been!" material ;)

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:48 am

a31chris wrote:How accurate are the emulators for 3do?
Bit late to the party but I just spotted this. Reasonable from my perspective but IMHO not accurate enough to use for development alone. There are plenty of games that I've tried that have minor audio or visual glitches. 4do is interesting for use with Doom though; with the emulated CPU overclocked to 50MHz the game plays really well.