Doom on 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Though I haven't played this version of Doom, I've been playing Saturn Doom lately and thought I'd comment on two aspects that it has in common with the 3DO version. Namely, the inability to save within a level and the cyclic-only weapons selection.

Both of these things are traditionally considered downsides of these ports, but I find them both to be advantages. The PC version's difficulty was utterly broken by the ability to save anywhere, since you could instantly redo any part that didn't play out to your satisfaction. In 3DO and Saturn Doom, you just have to accept your losses and press on in hopes of finding health items - either that or restart the whole level. It gives the game some actual danger to keep you on edge.

I initially found the cyclic-only weapons to be annoying, but after playing through ten levels or so, I realized that this adds a new aspect of strategy and realism to the game. You have to consider which weapons you're most likely to need in an upcoming area, because while it's no problem switching to the chain gun while you have the shotgun in hand, if you have the rocket launcher in hand you might not have enough time to switch.

Anyone else here enjoy these aspects of the 3DO version?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 am

Martin III wrote:Though I haven't played this version of Doom, I've been playing Saturn Doom lately
Ugh. I'm sorry you are making yourself trudge through this terrible version of DOOM. Brace for the pain that comes with the later, open stages in the game. :P
Martin III wrote:The PC version's difficulty was utterly broken by the ability to save anywhere, since you could instantly redo any part that didn't play out to your satisfaction.
Only broken if you choose to abuse it. Or it can be used as a crutch initially, then ignored on repeat playthroughs as a player improves at the game.

Can't blame the game if the player has a lack of discipline. ;)
Martin III wrote:I initially found the cyclic-only weapons to be annoying, but after playing through ten levels or so, I realized that this adds a new aspect of strategy and realism to the game. You have to consider which weapons you're most likely to need in an upcoming area, because while it's no problem switching to the chain gun while you have the shotgun in hand, if you have the rocket launcher in hand you might not have enough time to switch.
I guess there's extra "strategy" involved, but no more a monkey can't figure out.

Anyway, it's all about the shotgun and the chaingun regardless. Anything else is merely optional.
Martin III wrote:Anyone else here enjoy these aspects of the 3DO version?
Not sure what is to be enjoyed about it, haha. It's how most of the console ports were outside of the Jaguar version.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't advertise it as a selling point. :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 am

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:Though I haven't played this version of Doom, I've been playing Saturn Doom lately
Ugh. I'm sorry you are making yourself trudge through this terrible version of DOOM. Brace for the pain that comes with the later, open stages in the game. :P
Actually, I'm enjoying it much more than the PC version. I'm up to "Twilight Descends" now and, like the two levels designed for the Jaguar version, I'm finding it to be one of the most challenging and engaging Doom levels I've played. The whole atmosphere of the game is much more fitting, too.
Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:The PC version's difficulty was utterly broken by the ability to save anywhere, since you could instantly redo any part that didn't play out to your satisfaction.
Only broken if you choose to abuse it. Or it can be used as a crutch initially, then ignored on repeat playthroughs as a player improves at the game.

Eh, you could also give every fourth enemy you encounter a free hit. Sorry, I don't consider balancing a video game to be the player's responsibility. There are plenty of video games which are at the right difficulty when they hit the shelves.
Austin wrote:Anyway, it's all about the shotgun and the chaingun regardless. Anything else is merely optional.
Not in the Saturn version. The enemies have an extra layer of nastiness such that you need something which deals damage more quickly than the shotgun or chaingun. I take it this isn't the case in the 3DO version?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

On a side note, quite a few people are not aware of the fact that the Playstation and Saturn ports of DOOM allow you to pause the game and switch weapons while paused. Yes, Inconvenient, but it is doable. As much as the Saturn DOOM makes me sad, it makes me wonder, and always has, how the game would have turned out had Lobotomy Studios worked on the game. I back this up with the amazing Power Slave and also the almost PC Perfect ports of Duke Nukem 3D and QUAKE for the Saturn. Amazing stuff that really shows you that the Saturn version of DOOM suffers from the same thing the 3DO and 32X one did; lax programmers that rushed the game out the door as quickly as possible. This time to make sure they had it ready to compete with the Playstation release. Most of us Saturn fans wish they would have waited to release the game so it was a better version.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 am

Martin III wrote:Actually, I'm enjoying it much more than the PC version. I'm up to "Twilight Descends" now and, like the two levels designed for the Jaguar version, I'm finding it to be one of the most challenging and engaging Doom levels I've played. The whole atmosphere of the game is much more fitting, too.
Sometimes I wonder if you say these things just to play with us. :lol:

If you REALLY enjoy the Saturn version more than the PC game, be sure to track down the PlayStation version. The Saturn version is a port of that game. It has a MUCH smoother framerate and has lots of colored lighting effects that were cut out of the Saturn version. The rest of the game is mostly the same, and even the same passwords work between versions, haha.
Martin III wrote:
Austin wrote:Only broken if you choose to abuse it. Or it can be used as a crutch initially, then ignored on repeat playthroughs as a player improves at the game.

Eh, you could also give every fourth enemy you encounter a free hit. Sorry, I don't consider balancing a video game to be the player's responsibility. There are plenty of video games which are at the right difficulty when they hit the shelves.
I'm not going to even respond to this as that could open up a whole other can 'o worms all together and completely derail this thread in the process (although I know that probably sounds like a fun idea to some of you out there! ;) ).
Martin III wrote:Not in the Saturn version. The enemies have an extra layer of nastiness such that you need something which deals damage more quickly than the shotgun or chaingun. I take it this isn't the case in the 3DO version?
LOL, that "extra layer of nastiness" you speak of is a horrible framerate that keeps you from hitting your enemies consistently. ;)
T2KFreeker wrote:As much as the Saturn DOOM makes me sad, it makes me wonder, and always has, how the game would have turned out had Lobotomy Studios worked on the game. I back this up with the amazing Power Slave and also the almost PC Perfect ports of Duke Nukem 3D and QUAKE for the Saturn.
I agree that Power Slave and Duke are excellent games, and I wonder too what DOOM would have been like had Lobotomy handled it. Power Slave in particular actually ran smoother than the PlayStation version (usually it was the other way around). Lobotomy did a phenomenal job overall and I really wish they were able to stay together as a company. I wonder where some of those guys went..

Regarding Quake, I do have to disagree though--it's far, far from being a perfect port. There are some pretty obvious reasons, like the fact they had to build the game from the ground up with their own engine. Things like that resulted in a game that doesn't even feel like Quake, and looks like a horribly midget-ized version (is that even a word?). Still, it's incredible in itself that they pulled it off, period, and nearly all the levels are there if I remember correctly (I believe some of the bonus levels were changed to new exclusive stages). It also has some other cool features like Dank 'n Skuzz, taking advantage of the 3D control pad (I believe using the analog stick makes you run faster by default, haha), and those new lighting effects are downright wicked.

For playability though the N64 version wins hands-down. It actually uses the Quake engine and plays and feels just like the PC version, sans keyboard and mouse support, naturally. Yeah, I know, it's kind of an unfair comparison, but I'm just using for comparison's sake. :)

I don't know if this is true, but someone told me back in the day that it would have only taken them two weeks to implement NetLink support into the Saturn Quake. If so, that would have been sweet if they did it. I played quite a bit of Duke Nukem 3D over the NetLink back when it was around, and any extra games to play on it would have been more than welcome! :)
T2KFreeker wrote:Amazing stuff that really shows you that the Saturn version of DOOM suffers from the same thing the 3DO and 32X one did; lax programmers that rushed the game out the door as quickly as possible.
Yep. It's funny how it's happened this way to the games that seem to matter a lot (or at least matter a lot to gamers like us). Like the Saturn and 3DO versions of DOOM.
T2KFreeker wrote:This time to make sure they had it ready to compete with the Playstation release. Most of us Saturn fans wish they would have waited to release the game so it was a better version.
If that was the case, then it was a little late for that! By the time the Saturn version came out in May '97, the PlayStation version had already been available for at least a year and a few months.

Funny enough, the Japanese version of Saturn DOOM apparently didn't come out until December '97, half a year after the US game. Supposedly the developers (Rage) spruced up that version a bit. Word has it that there is a slightly better framerate, and I *believe* the link play was included. I still want to check it out, but not for the $40 or so people ask for it on eBay.
Last edited by Austin on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 am

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:
Austin wrote:Only broken if you choose to abuse it. Or it can be used as a crutch initially, then ignored on repeat playthroughs as a player improves at the game.

I'm not going to even respond to this as that could open up a whole other can 'o worms all together and completely derail this thread in the process (although I know that probably sounds like a fun idea to some of you out there! ;) ).
A derail sounds fun to me. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 am

You would say that, wouldn't you? :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Austin wrote:If you REALLY enjoy the Saturn version more than the PC game, be sure to track down the PlayStation version. The Saturn version is a port of that game. It has a MUCH smoother framerate and has lots of colored lighting effects that were cut out of the Saturn version. The rest of the game is mostly the same, and even the same passwords work between versions, haha.
Yes, I know, and believe me, if I had a PlayStation that is unquestionably the version I would have gotten. But my options were Saturn, 3DO, GBA, and SNES (and PC, but I wanted to have a console version), and the Saturn version unquestionably beats the snot out of the other three.
LOL, that "extra layer of nastiness" you speak of is a horrible framerate that keeps you from hitting your enemies consistently. :wink:
Actually, the frame rate in the Saturn version isn't low enough to have any impact on hit accuracy; the enemies just aren't going down in that few hits. Maybe they swapped some of the Hell Knights with Barons of Hell (or maybe you're used to playing the game on "I'm Too Young to Die"?), but I assure you, I've seen a number of situations where I'm dog meat if I draw a shotgun instead of a rocket launcher or BFG.

I think the reasons behind the technical failings of the Saturn version are actually almost the opposite of those behind the 3DO: The programmers essentially figured, everyone who wants a home port is already getting the PS1 version, so who cares, no rush - we'll just get it to where it's playable, and release it whenever we have nothing else going on. This is just a guess, mind you.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Disclaimer: I might have a distorted outlook on this subject, far too ripe for down-to-earth conversation, because DOOM is has been one of my most-played games over the course of my life. Next to Quake, of course. :)
Martin III wrote:Maybe they swapped some of the Hell Knights with Barons of Hell (or maybe you're used to playing the game on "I'm Too Young to Die"?)
Hey there, no need to be a dick now, OK? :razz:
Martin III wrote:but I assure you, I've seen a number of situations where I'm dog meat if I draw a shotgun instead of a rocket launcher or BFG.
Undoubtedly there are points where a rocket launcher, plasma rifle, or BFG are preferred, but those are very few and far between in relation to the rest of the game. That is, of course, unless you're used to playing the game on "I'm Too Young to Die". ;)

Not sure if you noticed, but the weapons actually fire a tad faster in the Saturn version. It's especially noticeable on the pistol and shotgun. I wonder if this was to make up for some of the other lackluster factors (framerate) and make it easier on people.
Martin III wrote:This is just a guess, mind you.
Lots of theories here in this thread. Who knows what the real reason is?

Makes me wonder--Did perhaps Sega have anything to do with it? Not obviously the bad port, but perhaps coercing developers and publishers out there to make games like this for their system? They really needed anything they could get back then, especially popular games people were familiar with (as the PlayStation stomped all over their system).

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Austin wrote: For playability though the N64 version wins hands-down. It actually uses the Quake engine and plays and feels just like the PC version, sans keyboard and mouse support, naturally. Yeah, I know, it's kind of an unfair comparison, but I'm just using for comparison's sake. :)
I don't know man. I find the Quake on the N64 to be downright ugly. It's not based on the original QUAKE either, it's running the QUAKE GL which is a whole different animal. The Anti Aliasing just makes everything look dull and blurry, sad to say. I hate the music compared to Trent Reznor's amazing score for the PC Version, which made it to the Saturn version, thank God, and I just downright hate the Nintendo 64 Controller, so I can't agree or argue on the controls other than that I hate the pad. I still find the Saturn release to be far more satisfying an experience. To each their own though, I suppose.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 am

T2KFreeker wrote:I don't know man. I find the Quake on the N64 to be downright ugly ... The Anti Aliasing just makes everything look dull and blurry, sad to say.
It does have that signature N64 blur, haha. Fortunately, unlike most non-expansion pak enhanced N64 games, you can turn the filter off which sharpens the visuals, at the expense of the framerate of course. Wish more games on that system did that, to be honest--a lot of games could have really used it.
T2KFreeker wrote:It's not based on the original QUAKE either, it's running the QUAKE GL which is a whole different animal.
GL Quake was a small downloadable patch that enhanced the visuals, that's mainly all it did. It was primarily to take advantage of then-new 3D accelerator cards of the time. It didn't affect how the engine runs, feels, and plays--the game looked better, but it plays as it would if you didn't use the GL Quake executable, and that's mainly what I was talking about.
T2KFreeker wrote:I hate the music compared to Trent Reznor's amazing score for the PC Version, which made it to the Saturn version, thank God
I appreciate the original NIN soundtrack a lot more now than I did when I was younger (probably because I am a big NIN fan now). I never considered it "must-have" backing noise though in the first Quake and would often play with different soundtracks (that was also probably because I played a lot of online multiplayer). I am glad it made it to the Saturn version, but I didn't feel too negatively when I heard the N64 soundtrack. Plus it was on a cartridge, so it's not like I didn't understand why it was different. The dreary feel is still there and in that sense it still fits.

One thing I did when I was younger was pop the Quake II CD in my drive while I played Quake I on the PC. The original Quake pumping along to the Quake II soundtrack was like the ultimate Quake experience. :P
T2KFreeker wrote:and I just downright hate the Nintendo 64 Controller
I don't blame you, haha. I do like it a lot for specific kinds of games, but I can see why people may dislike it.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Austin wrote:
Martin III wrote:Maybe they swapped some of the Hell Knights with Barons of Hell (or maybe you're used to playing the game on "I'm Too Young to Die"?)
Hey there, no need to be a dick now, OK? :razz:
I'm not being a dick. I'm trying to identify the source of the discrepancy in our accounts, and it is very common for a gamer to play a game at one difficulty and then base all his statements about the game on the unspoken assumption that you're playing at that specific difficulty. Believe me, I've run into that problem several times before.
Austin wrote:Not sure if you noticed, but the weapons actually fire a tad faster in the Saturn version. It's especially noticeable on the pistol and shotgun.
I've suspected that, but I don't think it makes a real difference. I rarely use the pistol, and it doesn't make sense to use a shotgun on large numbers of enemies or bosses, which is where rate of fire would come into play.

Are you sure it's faster than in the PlayStation version? I've seen videos and they look exactly the same, at least as far as the pistol goes.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:22 am

Martin III wrote:I'm not being a dick. I'm trying to identify the source of the discrepancy in our accounts, and it is very common for a gamer to play a game at one difficulty and then base all his statements about the game on the unspoken assumption that you're playing at that specific difficulty. Believe me, I've run into that problem several times before.
Something you should know about me in case we ever have a similar conversation again: I like my games difficult. :)

As for the discrepancy in our accounts, after re-reading your posts a few times, I am going to chalk it up to a difference in play style between us. You make it sound like there's a need to rely on things like rockets and up outside of boss battles (which are few and far between), whereas I feel the majority of the game can be plowed through with your basic shotgun and chaingun (shotgun takes down multiple grunts in one hit if you line them up, can take down imps in one shot if close enough, and the chaingun stuns the imps and cacodemons so they can't fire at you, give or take a few instances if you are playing on the hardest setting; In the DOOM II levels, the double barrel shotgun--if I remember correctly--can take down hell knights with two up-close, well-placed shots, likewise with the pain elementals and cacodemons).

The Saturn version definitely feels slightly off in terms of the hits/damage department when attacking enemies though. Maybe they require slightly more damage to take down? I would need to take a little bit of time to try different weapons on a variety of enemies in both, say, the PC and the Saturn versions, to get a solid analytical comparison.
Martin III wrote:
Austin wrote:Not sure if you noticed, but the weapons actually fire a tad faster in the Saturn version. It's especially noticeable on the pistol and shotgun.
Are you sure it's faster than in the PlayStation version? I've seen videos and they look exactly the same, at least as far as the pistol goes.
No, I wasn't (it's been a little while since I played the PlayStation version, although I have played the Saturn, Jag, and PC versions lately so I can draw the best comparisons to those). After checking a couple of videos myself, I found some good examples.

The rate of fire in the PlayStation version seems just a tiny bit slower than the Saturn version. Interestingly, the Saturn game seems to add in extra shots out of rhythm with the pistol, which is weird. Skip to the time codes I've marked and you should be able to tell the difference.

PlayStation video (skip to the 1:05 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygglB2sFplc

Saturn video (skip to the 1:18 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkQabUq86Y
Martin III wrote:I've suspected that, but I don't think it makes a real difference.
I just thought it was interesting, that's all. Differences like these are interesting to me. :)

As far as effecting gameplay, hm. You might notice mowing down large groups of grunts a slightly faster than usual as a result (if you're used to other versions anyway). Most noticeable when you get to the DOOM II stages where enemies tend to be grouped together in clumps a lot more.

Damnit, all this talk makes me want to play DOOM now. Maybe I'll do that. :lol:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:13 am

Austin wrote:As for the discrepancy in our accounts, after re-reading your posts a few times, I am going to chalk it up to a difference in play style between us. You make it sound like there's a need to rely on things like rockets and up outside of boss battles (which are few and far between), whereas I feel the majority of the game can be plowed through with your basic shotgun and chaingun (shotgun takes down multiple grunts in one hit if you line them up, can take down imps in one shot if close enough, and the chaingun stuns the imps and cacodemons so they can't fire at you, give or take a few instances if you are playing on the hardest setting; In the DOOM II levels, the double barrel shotgun--if I remember correctly--can take down hell knights with two up-close, well-placed shots, likewise with the pain elementals and cacodemons).
Yeah, I play the same as you on most of those points, but I prefer the rocket launcher for dealing with cacodemons (except when fighting at close quarters, natch, in which case I favor the shotgun). They eat up far too much of the chaingun's ammunition for my taste, and if I take my aim off of them for even a second (which I may well need to do if, for instance, a few more enemies are involved) then they'll be able to get an attack off anyway. Also, barons of hell/hell knights are very plentiful in the Saturn/PlayStation version ("Twilight Descends" alone has at least a dozen on "Hurt Me Plenty"), and I find the shotgun and chaingun much too inefficient to deal with them, especially in tight quarters. Even if I have a nice open area with the hell knights up on a pedestal where they can't get me, I'd rather save my precious shotgun shells and just waste 'em with a few rockets.

So in short, yeah, you're probably right about it being a difference in play style.
Austin wrote:The rate of fire in the PlayStation version seems just a tiny bit slower than the Saturn version. Interestingly, the Saturn game seems to add in extra shots out of rhythm with the pistol, which is weird. Skip to the time codes I've marked and you should be able to tell the difference.

PlayStation video (skip to the 1:05 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygglB2sFplc

Saturn video (skip to the 1:18 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkQabUq86Y
Thanks, those examples do help. And while checking Classicdoom.com's version comparison guide on an unrelated point, I noticed that they too note that "In general, each weapon's "rapid-fire" rate is higher here than in other Doom games."

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 pm

"You rack a discaprine!" *cough* Now that the South Pak moment is over.
You two are very passionate about this game. It would be great if you could get together and play these all of the games talked about side by side. I personally prefer DOOM on the PC. I also have a toss up between Wolf 3D on either 3DO or PC, I like Duke on PC and Saturn as i can still use my Saturn NetLink modem. I prefer the Titanium port of Quake on Dreamcast as it is the the PC version if just looks amazing on an old fashion TV set. I've never liked Quake II as I always felt it should have had the same feel as the original, but since III, I think I can go back to it.

And to avoid sounding like I'm taking sides I'm not agreeing with any of you but some of our opinions may match.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:10 am

In short, this thread has sparked my interest in doing a DOOM side-by-side comparison video. Not sure when I will do it, but it's definitely on the to-do list now.

Also, I was strangely motivated to run through the Saturn DOOM myself on Thursday night. Probably partially because I had an itch to play DOOM after all this talk, and partially because I wanted to verify some technicalities that were talked about. I ended up finishing the Ultimate DOOM side in one sitting (took me about three hours and 45 minutes), and uploaded a longplay video of my playthrough (direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXVxeQ1CiI0). For those that want to see this game's framerate at its worst, watch around the two-hour and 33 minute mark.

@3DOexp: I didn't care much for Quake II either when it came out (the soundtrack notwithstanding :D ). It was obviously the evolution of the engine, but it just wasn't Quake in form. I felt it shouldn't have been called Quake II at all. Don't get me wrong, I grew to enjoy the game and like to go back to it, but it doesn't have much to do with the first Quake outside of the engine and movement feeling somewhat similar. Oh, and there being tons of action (almost too much--it's an extremely long game considering what it is).
Last edited by Austin on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 am

3DO Experience wrote:You two are very passionate about this game.
Nah, I'm pretty lukewarm about Doom, actually. I just enjoy chatting about any game that I'm playing at the time.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 am

Austin, that's pretty much how I feel/felt, and the soundtrack was awesome.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Doom on 3DO

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 am

First game I got for my newly aquired long desired 3DO lol own favourite is jaguar version just has the pick up and play system seller appeal for me obviously just shame no music. Playstation i only played a few times a neighbour had it and my spindle on my playstation is currenltly broken so i cant get it but i will seeing folk say its good. I'm playing saturn a lot just now and will likely get that version too :lol: the talk of superior japanese version is interesting. The 3DO music is great. At least they gave us that. Headphones in my controller laid back and enjoyed first nine areas or so.
Have doom 64 cart but need a controller pack before getting into that or quake but from what little I played they both seemed good.

Overall though I like playing it on the jaguar it just feels good and like Carmack made sure even with the glaring omission of music it still played superbly. It does now, so for its time, respect is due lol

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Cool that you're going around and getting all the different versions. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

However, I wouldn't get too psyched up for the Japanese Saturn version... I'm a once-and-future frequenter of the Saturn UK forums, and folks there have testified that it's really only marginally better than the North American and PAL versions. It also tends to go for big money these days (presumably due to the wrongful rumor that it rivals the PlayStation version), so I don't know if it's worth it to shell out all that extra cash just for a barely noticeable increase in frame rate. Particularly since the Saturn version in general is basically just the PlayStation version with some technical shortcomings thrown in.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 am

Japanese Doom for 3DO exists!!! FUJISAN was right :oops:

Looking for sealed and rare 3DO games and stuff. Just PM me about what you have to offer.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:05 am

Sorry, Japan.. As if your botched Saturn port wasn't bad enough as is, someone felt the need to give you this.. :lol:

Cool find though.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:30 pm

More pics:

Sealed japanese Doom :o
Looking for sealed and rare 3DO games and stuff. Just PM me about what you have to offer.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 am

Hmm, I guess the only thing that the Japanese of Tokyo run screaming in complete horror from isn't just Godzilla! Poor little Japanese 3DO system.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:02 am

However, other than manual, but US ver content is the same......... :wink:
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 am

By the way, the this text, written content is very very sad. :cry: :cry:

To everyone, I can not be able to tell it.
My English Understanding is poor.
I'm sorry. :(

I wish get to translate to everyone in this forum. :wink:

この度は、弊社製品「DOOM」をお買いあげいただき、まことにありがとうございます。
ジリ貧状態の現在の3DOを取り囲む状況を少しでも好転できないものかと考え、
日本での発売が見送られかけていた「DOOM」を直輸入販売に踏み切った次第ですが、
本日こうして製品をお届けすることができ、本当に肩の荷が降りたな、というのが実感です。
ただし、採算分岐点にはまだまだ届かず、現在では始めてしまったからにはやめるわけにはいかない、
という意気込みで続けております。
どうか、お友達などにもこの作品の面白さをお伝え頂ければ、これ以上の幸せはありません。
今後も、可能な限り3DOユーザーの利益を守るために活動を続けていきたいと考えております。
よろしくご支援の程、お願い申しあげます。

有限会社バショウ・ハウス
取締役 加藤久人
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

Thanking you in advance.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks very much for that transcription, FUJISAN! Here's a Google translation of the above:

"Once again, Thank you for purchasing our products the " DOOM " , Thank you very much .
We believe that if that can not be improved even a little the situation surrounding the 3DO the current state of the dwindling of business ,
Although it is up to you decided to go direct import sales launch in Japan had nearly shelved the " DOOM " ,
It is realized that can be used to deliver the product in this way today , load shoulder 's that , Na got off really .
However , it still does not reach the profitable branch point , it can not afford to quit since I 've started now ,
I have continued in that enthusiasm .
Whether , if you can tell the fun of this work as well , such as your friends , there is no happier .
I believe in the future , we intend to continue to work in order to protect the interests of 3DO user as much as possible .
Much for your support , thank you .

Co. Musa House
Director Kato Hisato"

While some of that is hard to understand, the basic sense of it is reasonably clear: "Business is bad and getting worse, but we're trying to help keep the 3DO alive."

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:43 am

While some of that is hard to understand, the basic sense of it is reasonably clear: "Business is bad and getting worse, but we're trying to help keep the 3DO alive."[/quote]

ありがとうございます! :D

That's my point exactly!
Then, BASHO HOUSE was to sell at a loss. :(
And now, BASHO HOUSE go bankrupt, it does not exist. :cry:
I'm sorry.

Thanking you in advance.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:11 am

Well, they went out of business because they released the 3DO version of DOOM! Really sad. Seriously though, from what I read in that translation, they ever seem to admit that the 3DO version of DOOM isn't up to par, which really is very sad. I don't know what to say about the game, personally. I remember when I went to Software Etc. and my friend worked there and he was telling me that the 3DO version was worse than the 32X version. I kind of liked the 32X version of the game, but still couldn't believe it was worse. From my limited knowledge at the time, I felt he was telling the truth back then and was really sad. Now I know it isn't true just because of the stuff the 3DO version has in it that the 32X version doesn't, but it isn't that much better either way. I so wanted to love the 3DO version and even though I don't hate it, I'm still so sad when I boot it up because so much better could have come from this version.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Well, they went out of business because they released the 3DO version of DOOM! Really sad. Seriously though, from what I read in that translation, they ever seem to admit that the 3DO version of DOOM isn't up to par, which really is very sad. I don't know what to say about the game, personally. I remember when I went to Software Etc. and my friend worked there and he was telling me that the 3DO version was worse than the 32X version. I kind of liked the 32X version of the game, but still couldn't believe it was worse. From my limited knowledge at the time, I felt he was telling the truth back then and was really sad. Now I know it isn't true just because of the stuff the 3DO version has in it that the 32X version doesn't, but it isn't that much better either way. I so wanted to love the 3DO version and even though I don't hate it, I'm still so sad when I boot it up because so much better could have come from this version.
Yeah, it's like the 3DOs own "Checkered Flag"... huh? :?

Still enjoy it but... should have been SO MUCH better...