Gex - 3DO version versus ports?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Gex - 3DO version versus ports?

Post by Austin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:48 am

So, I hear a lot about how ports of 3DO games to other platforms are rubbish. From the details I've heard, it makes sense. However, Gex is usually lumped into that category as well. I've been playing it for the PlayStation these last few days (first time I've played any port outside the 3DO game), and honestly, it seems like the exact same game. Can anyone point out any notable differences between this version and the 3DO game?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Hmmm ... does the psx version have all the secrets intact from the 3DO build? Codes, Planet X, etc ...? Not sure ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:46 pm

I have yet to play any version of it other than the gameboy color version which sucked real bad.

I have heard that the 3DO port is the best, but not sure why. I can't form an opinion on it. Maybe the controls are tighter? Not sure.

I'd like to see the screen shots compared.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:47 pm

I don't know about the quality of the PS/PS1 (I hate it when people miss-use PSX) version but I read that there is a code for Planet X but it doesn't work correctly.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:17 am

PSX was the original product code and lasted all the way through the console's lifespan. Anybody running a store at that point referred to it that way. I'm pretty sure I still have the Square PSX codes in my system, still.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 am

Grrrr this is why I hate SONY fanboys. Someone told me that PSX was always being misused but and there actually is a PSX a sort of PS/PS1 and PS2 combined. Plus they showed me pictures of it.

I really shouldn't be all that surprised. I prob wasn't being lied to it's just that SONY never seems to know what they are doing when it comes to model numbers, or at least they aren't telling the public. The MiniDisc recorders are prime examples! Damn, did I take my thyroid today?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:17 am

...thyroid? Joy.

Anyway, Sony's had a consistent part number system. I was managing a place in Tampa right before the PS1 came out, and I was wondering what the hell PSX meant. But that's how it works for everybody, three part category ID, three part publisher ID, and then usually the last bit of the serial number or a randomly designated number string. Nintendo is actually the worst offender at breaking this, they'll come through with something like NDI RVL R 9G1523, which makes my damn head hurt when sorting shipments.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:53 am

Yep, my gland doesn't make much so I gotta take an artificial supply. I keep forgetting or missing it lately. End up taking it late in the day with food which I'm not supposed to do. I remember taking it but I think I had a donut right afterwords. oops!

Well us MiniDisc luvers hate SONY's model numbering. They pull letters an numbers out of their butts.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Try Ashwaghanda :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:20 pm

So, the main difference seems to be a code not working properly. Not a biggie, I suppose.

One of the first things I noticed in the PS version is the overall framerate being smoother. I don't mean the 3DO version is choppy, though. I suppose the best comparison I can make is, say, watching an American movie on television, then watching a BBC production afterward. The television overseas always have that distinct feel--Ghosting, or I'm guessing a different frame rate?--and that's what the 3DO version of Gex is like. I will have to snag the 3DO game again so I can make sure I'm not talking out of my arse though, but I'm pretty sure my memory isn't failing me here.

One thing is for sure though, I do well-prefer the FZ-10 pad well over the PlayStation controller. The buttons feel better, they are in line, and it doesn't hurt your hand to use the L button for the run function. This is really my only quirk with this version. I'm kind of curious about the Saturn game now.. I bet playing it on a model 2 pad would be nice, although I think the softer buttons on the 3DO would still be more comfortable for this particular game.
Vance wrote:PSX was the original product code and lasted all the way through the console's lifespan. Anybody running a store at that point referred to it that way. I'm pretty sure I still have the Square PSX codes in my system, still.
Not to mention virtually every gaming publication in the '90s referred to it as that as well. That reference has stuck for most of us. Over at AtariAge there was a recent thread about this and there were some really good speculations. The label being derived from its model number seems to make the most sense though.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah. Got hyper myself. About to go get the radioiodine and get the lifelong hypo, which I'm looking forward to just a bit more than the current situation.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:48 am

So, the main difference seems to be a code not working properly. Not a biggie, I suppose.
Gex has so many codes, I'll probably never use them all.

3DO was good in that way. Alot of their games were jam packed w/secrets. Gives the titles longevity.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 am

I'm waiting on a replacement cable, when it arrives I'll acquire a PS version of GEX and do some comparisons.