Pataank

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Everything seems fine now, with no explanation from MediaFire of course.

And thank you for the mirror Lemmi. :wink:

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 am

90ies, surfin, 3DO, thanks bitrate!

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:48 am

Link worked for me. Thanks.

There's a site with MP3s, but you have to sign up.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:04 am

Nothing like bumping a month-old thread.. (waits for the ban request)

Since I busted out the 3DO yesterday, I was finally able to give this one a shot. Admittedly, I'm pretty lost as to what to do. I understand that your puck is always being sucked towards the drain, and you need to use your boost to push forward, but I haven't really figured out what to do when my boost runs out. I managed to snap onto one of those blue blocks on the ground, which gave me boost, but I couldn't do it again.. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyways, asides from that, it seems like a neat game. I don't care for the framerate, but I think this is one of those with a concept unique enough that I can get over that fact. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Austin wrote:(waits for the ban request)
naaa this is relevant to my interests. That 32X thread in the General forum might get deleted though. Man that 3DOKid is really annoying. :wink:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:02 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Austin wrote:(waits for the ban request)
naaa this is relevant to my interests. That 32X thread in the General forum might get deleted though. Man that 3DOKid is really annoying. :wink:
I'd ban his ass if I was you. He's a total toss-pot.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:43 pm

:lol:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:47 pm

toss-pot ?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 am

3DO Experience wrote:toss-pot ?
Yeah, don't analyse that too much eh? An idiot is a better definition.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 am

One of my favorite 3DO games back in the day. I remember playing it for hours. Just something different, a very unique and addicting game!

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Austin wrote:I managed to snap onto one of those blue blocks on the ground, which gave me boost, but I couldn't do it again.. I must be doing something wrong.
I don't know if you've figured it out by now, but you press A to turn on the magnetos.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 pm

CRV wrote:
Austin wrote:I managed to snap onto one of those blue blocks on the ground, which gave me boost, but I couldn't do it again.. I must be doing something wrong.
I don't know if you've figured it out by now, but you press A to turn on the magnetos.
I honestly haven't even tried since (been playing other 3DO games, honestly). I'm assuming you mean I tap A when I'm on top of them?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Hold, don't tap.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

OK, so sort of a necrobump (waits for 3doexp's ban request).. Thought I'd just say, this game is sweet.. And I made a review of it: http://youtu.be/-R1cwOpdh1s ....It's not thoroughly in-depth, but I think it gets the point through. :!:

enjoybellwoods
3DO ZERO USER

Post by enjoybellwoods » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 pm

This game is garbage. Honestly, what's the appeal? I bought it off Ebay a couple years ago after being intrigued by the demo that came with the original Goldstar unit.

There's really nothing to do. The three tables are sparse, with about 10 seconds of interactivity each. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure what there is to enjoy. Along with that, the controls and frame rate are terrible.

I guess I shouldn't have expected much from the geniuses that brought us Ballz, but I expected some thought to be put into a pinball title that puts you
inside the machine.

The whole ordeal feels like a bad tech demo. Sure, there's irrelevant full motion video wallpapering the levels and you've got a "wacky" announcer, but there's nothing to do but fly over a couple targets over and over again. There's more gameplay in Pinball for the NES, for the love of god.

1/10

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:40 pm

This game is garbage. Honestly, what's the appeal? I bought it off Ebay a couple years ago after being intrigued by the demo that came with the original Goldstar unit.

There's really nothing to do. The three tables are sparse, with about 10 seconds of interactivity each. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure what there is to enjoy. Along with that, the controls and frame rate are terrible.

I guess I shouldn't have expected much from the geniuses that brought us Ballz, but I expected some thought to be put into a pinball title that puts you
inside the machine.

The whole ordeal feels like a bad tech demo. Sure, there's irrelevant full motion video wallpapering the levels and you've got a "wacky" announcer, but there's nothing to do but fly over a couple targets over and over again. There's more gameplay in Pinball for the NES, for the love of god.

1/10

I realize that tthe game is not for everyone, but calling it garbage ... ?

Granted the tables may seem sparse when compared to some mainstream tables, but you must be missing something if you only think there is "10 seconds of interactivity." Have you beaten each table? I find the controls rather good, maybe you need a bit more practice. The framerate is acceptable I think.

Like all good pinball games, I find PaTaank very addictive. And its wrapped in a great audio/visual package!

However, like Immercenary, Way of the Warrior, and others, the game is sorta a love/hate thing. For me though, PaTaank is one of my favorites.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

enjoybellwoods
3DO ZERO USER

Post by enjoybellwoods » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:16 pm

First of all, thanks for the welcome.

I realize my strong opinion might come across as an attack, but it isn't.

I'm just surprised anyone enjoyed this game that much. It's an interesting experiment, but I feel they failed to capitalize on the potential. There was a lot they could've put into it, but it seems they just created a concept, threw in a couple things and sent the code out the pressed and forgot about it.

The demo left a lasting impression in my mind for years and I was disappointed when I finally played the game and realized there's barely anything to it. I was expecting massive levels with tons of different contraptions to play with. The demo was so confusing to me when I first played it that I had no idea that the full game pretty much was the demo.

My opinion is they focused more on the soundtrack than they did the game. It's interesting someone out there actually owns it. I bet that's a rare one.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

This reminds me that I was going to do a proper imaging of the disk instead of the rips of individual tracks that are up now.
I'll get it done this afternoon and upload a link when completed.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm with Trev, you stick with it and it's pretty neat.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm

PaTaank was sickening at the worst of times, somewhat enjoyable at the best. Could have used more dev time, certainly.

Intererestingly the announcer was a comedian called Tree who I had seen doing stand-up years before. He was a huge, bald bruiser who wore a leather biker jacket. He also played Ludmilla in Zhadnost.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm

The framerate is certainly choppy, but the game still moves at a brisk pace unlike something along the lines of Killing Time. It was the single largest turnoff for me at first, but I was able to adapt to it. Once I figured out what triggered what (like in standard pinball), the game was fun. Sure, not hugely involved, but it's fun. And its quirky nature is what really helps it stand out.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Wouldn't it be awesome if the first piece of homebrew for the 3DO was a port of Visual Pinball? Then finally the 3DO would have a totally awesome pinball game!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Ok, here is the bin/cue for the Pataank OST for those interested.

Click on the image below to download:

enjoybellwoods
3DO ZERO USER

Post by enjoybellwoods » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Austin wrote:The framerate is certainly choppy, but the game still moves at a brisk pace unlike something along the lines of Killing Time. It was the single largest turnoff for me at first, but I was able to adapt to it. Once I figured out what triggered what (like in standard pinball), the game was fun. Sure, not hugely involved, but it's fun. And its quirky nature is what really helps it stand out.
The thing is even the most basic, old pinball tables have more bumpers and triggers than this supposed virtual experience. That's really my issue with it. I think it's a poor experience overall. I understand addictiveness is subjective, but what exactly is there to get addicted to?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 am

Not sure I agree with you on the above, but anyway I think the point w/PaTaank is that (unlike most traditional pinball games) you aren't just playing for a high score, but to actually beat each table. Each table has specific goals, and if you can meet them the table is completed and finished. And at three tables (each w/their own theme) I think it offers pretty good variety (certainly more than the Nes pinball you mentioned earlier, although I admit to being a fan)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you bitrate!!!!!!!!! This is just awesome!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Thank you bitrate!!!!!!!!! This is just awesome!

Absolutely. :wink:

I forgot that we have a soundtrack thread in the other sub-forum. You have a nice format that you have been using for your soundtrack posts in there. Feel free to throw this in that thread if you like.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:40 pm

Well, there may be a new thread started eventually... *hint*

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:44 pm

Finally downloading myself... Thanks, Bitrate! :)