Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:28 am

Hi there, I'm new! Obviously since I'm posting in the introduction thread, it only goes, eh? My name's Ian and I live up in Fargo, North Dakota. Just like the movie, you betcha! As you can probably tell form my user name, I'm a pretty big Star Control 2 fan. I got a 3DO for my birthday back in '96, the FZ-10 with Gex as the pack-in. I was lucky because as soon as I got it, every store in town was dumping all of their games for super cheap and got a lot of great ones that I would've never had gotten before. It's pretty easy to convince your parents to buy you games when they're $5 new. I've still got the console and most of my games. I've been lurking around reading on this board at work when I've been bored and I'm so happy that there are other people who still appreciate the little box. I probably won't post too much, I'm more a lurker than poster in general, but I'll chime in from time to time and hopefully I won't be TOO annoying to 3DOKid, heh. Anyway, thanks for having this board exist!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:51 am

Welcome! :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Welcome FrumpleOrz! Its always good when lurkers convert to posters, especially fellow Star Control II fans. 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

FrumpleOrz wrote:Hi there, I'm new! Obviously since I'm posting in the introduction thread, it only goes, eh? My name's Ian and I live up in Fargo, North Dakota. Just like the movie, you betcha! As you can probably tell form my user name, I'm a pretty big Star Control 2 fan. I got a 3DO for my birthday back in '96, the FZ-10 with Gex as the pack-in. I was lucky because as soon as I got it, every store in town was dumping all of their games for super cheap and got a lot of great ones that I would've never had gotten before. It's pretty easy to convince your parents to buy you games when they're $5 new. I've still got the console and most of my games. I've been lurking around reading on this board at work when I've been bored and I'm so happy that there are other people who still appreciate the little box. I probably won't post too much, I'm more a lurker than poster in general, but I'll chime in from time to time and hopefully I won't be TOO annoying to 3DOKid, heh. Anyway, thanks for having this board exist!
Of cause you won't buddy. I remember playing Gex at Christmas too, a brilliant game IMHO.

Welcome aboard!

3DOkid.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Lurkers for the win(?).

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

It's My Turn

Post by elitegamer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Elitegamer is the tag, because videogames have always been apart of my life that I've never ceased to be passionate about. I have owned nearly every system with a few exceptions of course. Of all the systems and games that I've owned or played. The 3DO remains to be my "favorite", mainly do to the fact that alot of casual players are not to familiar, so when they see the 3do in my collection they initially think that it's an x-box!

This is rewarding as I have been able to create a small interest in a great console that experienced a fleeting response when first released here in the US. The initial price point for the 3do most likely left most feeling like they would be better off sticking with so of the more stable (older), market friendly consoles.

That being said! It's great to see that this beloved system still has a following... (Wonder if Trip knows?). Most likely doesn't care right! I mean the guy made 100M of the deal with partner company Matishitu. It's my opinion that 3DO and M2 technology are part of the brains of these modern platforms, but that's merely speculation at this point.

Ok, enough about me! Let's move on to 3DO Zone. Now that I've entered initiation... How do I actually become a member of the 3DO Zone Order?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: It's My Turn

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello Mate,

Welcome aboard.

Trip Hawkins does know, we made contact about 4 years ago now. He's actually quite friendly guy. And your guess is right, the technology teams behind the 3DO M2 went on to live in other technologies, not least of all Xbox!

3DOKid
elitegamer wrote:Elitegamer is the tag, because videogames have always been apart of my life that I've never ceased to be passionate about. I have owned nearly every system with a few exceptions of course. Of all the systems and games that I've owned or played. The 3DO remains to be my "favorite", mainly do to the fact that alot of casual players are not to familiar, so when they see the 3do in my collection they initially think that it's an x-box!

This is rewarding as I have been able to create a small interest in a great console that experienced a fleeting response when first released here in the US. The initial price point for the 3do most likely left most feeling like they would be better off sticking with so of the more stable (older), market friendly consoles.

That being said! It's great to see that this beloved system still has a following... (Wonder if Trip knows?). Most likely doesn't care right! I mean the guy made 100M of the deal with partner company Matishitu. It's my opinion that 3DO and M2 technology are part of the brains of these modern platforms, but that's merely speculation at this point.

Ok, enough about me! Let's move on to 3DO Zone. Now that I've entered initiation... How do I actually become a member of the 3DO Zone Order?

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Introduce yourself.

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 am

I'm a Sophomore in High School and have been collecting video games for a long time. I own 18 systems including the Colecovision, Atari 7800, NES, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, 3DO, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and Nintendo DS...But I still long for a Sega Master System, Turbografx 16/CD, Sega Saturn, 3DS, and many more.

The 3DO used to be one of those old systems I knew the least about, but gradually I grew interest in it until I eventually bought an FZ-10. The library of games is fantastic, as are the graphics for the time. It really is the most under-rated system of all time, and I prefer it to many systems.

I have so many favorites on the 3DO it's hard to list them all, but some are Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Killing Time, Another World, Crayon Shin-Chan, Road Rash, Need for Speed, Star Control II, Wing Commander III, Puzzle Bobble, Samurai Shodown, Gex, and Lucienne's Quest.

Oh, and my name...I have a love for obscure, creepy Japanese 3DO games (thanks to 3DO Kid's videos and blog) and two of my favorite games in this category are Kamachi's Museum and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, or as I like to call it, "Arfred Hitchcacku Presentu." Yeah, the games are weird to say the least, and in some ways pretty bad, but that's what makes them so fun to play!
Last edited by ArfredHitchcacku on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:11 am

A welcome to the new members. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Introduce yourself.

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Hello Mate,

I liked your name when I saw it came through for approval.

It's the weirdness of 3DO that keeps us all going here :)

All the best,

3DOkid

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I'm a Sophomore in High School and have been collecting video games for a long time. I own 18 systems including the Colecovision, Atari 7800, NES, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, 3DO, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and Nintendo DS...But I still long for a Sega Master System, Turbografx 16/CD, Sega Saturn, 3DS, and many more.

The 3DO used to be one of those old systems I knew the least about, but gradually I grew interest in it until I eventually bought an FZ-10. The library of games is fantastic, as are the graphics for the time. It really is the most under-rated system of all time, and I prefer it to many systems.

I have so many favorites on the 3DO it's hard to list them all, but some are Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Killing Time, Another World, Crayon Shin-Chan, Road Rash, Need for Speed, Star Control II, Wing Commander III, Puzzle Bobble, Samurai Shodown, Gex, and Lucienne's Quest.

Oh, and my name...I have a love for obscure, creepy Japanese 3DO games (thanks to 3DO Kid's videos and blog) and two of my favorite games in this category are Kamachi's Museum and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, or as I like to call it, "Arfred Hitchcacku Presentu." Yeah, the games are weird to say the least, and in some ways pretty bad, but that's what makes them so fun to play!

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm

3DO Kid, I appreciate the update. I had a feeling I was right about the M2 technology. Is this how u came across those alphas and beta copies of 3do stuff. And since "we" talked to him, can u explain why the 3do homebrew seen is not up to pace with other consoles?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 pm

elitegamer wrote:3DO Kid, I appreciate the update. I had a feeling I was right about the M2 technology. Is this how u came across those alphas and beta copies of 3do stuff. And since "we" talked to him, can u explain why the 3do homebrew seen is not up to pace with other consoles?
We can do. Let's move it out of this thread though :)

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 pm

3DO kid, that's a Roger. Would be gracious enough to start the thread as you most likely have more insight then I?

SnakePlissken
3DO ZERO USER

Post by SnakePlissken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 am

Hello all, new member from Dublin, Ireland here.

Great to see such a vibrant community who share my passion for all things 3DO. I was one of the lucky gamers who picked up the system not long after launch and since, I've amassed quite a large collection of mostly PAL releases (94 and counting.)

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this fantastic community, thanks all.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Welcome to the forum SnakePlissken.

I was fortunate enough to visit Ireland some 11 yrs ago. Beautiful country.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Welcome, SnakePlissken! Always cool to hear from someone who played the system back in the day, as opposed to discovering it years later as I did.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 pm

SnakePlissken wrote:Hello all, new member from Dublin, Ireland here.

Great to see such a vibrant community who share my passion for all things 3DO. I was one of the lucky gamers who picked up the system not long after launch and since, I've amassed quite a large collection of mostly PAL releases (94 and counting.)

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to this fantastic community, thanks all.
Welcome aboard mate!

There are a lot of 3DO'ers from '94 here, so you're in good company :)

3DOKid.

SnakePlissken
3DO ZERO USER

Post by SnakePlissken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I remember vividly walking by Gamezone on Abbey street and stopping dead in my tracks upon spotting the 3DO display unit in the window showcasing FIFA Football. It took me a couple months to save for the console, £500 I believe, and at that price point it took me a further couple weeks to save for my first game, the almighty Need for Speed.

It's incredible how the truly great games for the console still play well today, 17 or so years later. I purchased a couple games from a guy here in Ireland last year, a Christmas present from myself, when I called to his home he insisted we test each game to ensure they still worked (I was happy to go on his word,) we ended up playing Street Fighter and Samurai Shodown for a good two hours :)

Apart from the classics I also have a certain soft spot for the library's less illustrious entries, titles like Virtuoso, Po'ed and Cyberdillo, as atrocious as they are, they still possess a charm you don't really see in western releases these days.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Hello

Post by vampyre mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi, I'm Vampyre Mike.

Been a big 3do fan for years, had one and sold it many moons ago and always regretted it, so recently I re-purchased one and opened the sucker and re-greased the whole thing with white lithium.

I have about 36 originals currently for the console, and a few backups purely because prices for those rare titles are a little too rich for my blood just yet.

I also have a full U.S. Sega CD collection and run SegaCDUniverse.com for fun.

I look forward to chatting with you guys, and think this was an amazing system and really had some gems on it =)

Take care,

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi mike! Welcome aboard.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vampyre mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks guys, seems like a great group :)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 am

Welcome! :)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:59 am

Good to have you here.
You will find lots of great information and knowledgeable people here.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:11 am

bitrate wrote:Good to have you here.
OH SURE JUST LEAVE ME OUT OF THE EQUATION WHY DON'T YA?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:
bitrate wrote:Good to have you here.
OH SURE JUST LEAVE ME OUT OF THE EQUATION WHY DON'T YA?

:lol:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 am

Welcome to the forums!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:51 am

Hello everyone,
Been biten by the 3DO bug and may have found a new home.
I cant wait to be a part of the awesomeness that resides here,I just got a FZ1 the other day and have four games so far.

Im starting with Escape from Monster Manor as my first 3do experience,nice and long controller cord so I can layback with my Technics headphones plugged in ready to go.

Thanks for having me!
Here to stay.. ;)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:02 am

Welcome TEKTORO.

You've got a great system there and a good game to start with.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 am

Welcome aboard. :)