Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Introduce yourself.

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:08 am

"Oooo are ya?" As my dear old Grandmother used to say. Sadly, well less sadly for Granny and more sadly for us, it was Dementia.

So, avoid repeating yourself like Granny and introduce yourself to the gang...

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:00 pm

well ive never done this on any other website, so i guess there is a first time for everything

i guess i will start out with my name "Lemmi"

back when the movie Airheads came out (1994) i was quoting a line from the movie all the time
"[Chazz and Rex are testing Chris]
Chazz: Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God?
Chris Moore: Lemmy.
[Rex imitates a game show buzzer]
Chris Moore: ... God?
Rex: Wrong, dickhead, trick question. Lemmy *IS* God"
and i changed the spelling in 1999 because in the online game Everquest the proper name of Lemmy wouldnt take but Lemmi did, and thats how i became Lemmi, which is better then my old real world nickname of Moby Dick (i'll leave that one up to your imaginations)

im into Sci-Fi movies/TV shows
i collect Troma movies
the last videogame system i bought was a used Xbox (and it will be my last system because the new systems are just computers, and i already have a computer)

well i guess thats it because i never know what to type in these things, thats probably why i never did it before
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:25 am

What's a 'Troma Movie'?

I like my Sci-Fi as well, especially the new Battlestar Galactica. That's simply brilliant drama.

Also into my corny Sci-Fi including Babylon 5 and Space Above & Beyond. Loved the latter series which came to an early end, anyway I recently managed to grab the complete series DVD Boxset for a bargain on ebay, brand new as well for £20! Tempted to get the complete Babylon 5 collection but I got enough 'stuff' as it is! :shock:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:17 am

Troma movies are movies made or released by the people who made the Toxic Avenger movie, in others words really bad B movies :D

here is the dvd listings of what they sell https://buy.tromamovies.com/index.php?cPath=1_6
i think i have around 50 or so dvds from them, they usually have a sale around Halloween

i love Babylon 5, Stargate SG1/Atlantis, Eureka, LEXX, The Dead Zone, The 4400, plus a few others :)

i have the first 8 season of Stargate on DVD, season 9 pissed me off because they made the box sets in those thin dvd cases and it wont look right next to the other 8 huge box sets but i will get it eventually
i have all the shows for Lexx and B5 as well on DVD
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:20 am

Toxic Avenger is an all time classic. (A bit lower quality than Weekend at Bernies - my all time favourite movie!)

I'm not a big fan of Soap Operas in Space - but I do like Sci-fi. I'm wading through the Iain Banks Sci-fi books as we speak. I quite like sci-fi films too. I have the Star Trek series of films of DVD - but I can't abide the series. Weird eh?

dawid22
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dawid22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 am

Hi guys,

All the way from South Africa and got to your site from the "GameSetWatch" article. I only recently (6 months ago) got my hands on a 3DO eventually.

I'm a console collector owning 15 consoles with over 600 games and seeing that the 3DO never launched in South Africa it was very hard to come by, until one person in South Africa decided to let go of everything. Lucky me!

Either way, in my spare time myself and 2 mates run monthly tournaments in South Africa to educate all the gamers here. At these tournaments we use Xbox 360, PS2, GameCube (and when the Wii and PS3 launches here) tournaments. At these tournaments we run small side tourneys and we have already run Street Fighter 2 on the 3DO as a side tournament. Very cool indeed!

Check our web site here: http://www.rebound.co.za

Anyway, glad to see the 3DO is still alive :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:13 am

dawid22 wrote:Hi guys,

All the way from South Africa and got to your site from the "GameSetWatch" article. I only recently (6 months ago) got my hands on a 3DO eventually.

I'm a console collector owning 15 consoles with over 600 games and seeing that the 3DO never launched in South Africa it was very hard to come by, until one person in South Africa decided to let go of everything. Lucky me!

Either way, in my spare time myself and 2 mates run monthly tournaments in South Africa to educate all the gamers here. At these tournaments we use Xbox 360, PS2, GameCube (and when the Wii and PS3 launches here) tournaments. At these tournaments we run small side tourneys and we have already run Street Fighter 2 on the 3DO as a side tournament. Very cool indeed!

Check our web site here: http://www.rebound.co.za

Anyway, glad to see the 3DO is still alive :)

Hello Mate! Welcome to the forum. The comment I made about the 3DO being exoctic in certain parts of the world, especially where it was released, seems to hold true.

Did you use the 3DO Panasonic Arcade stick or the Capcom Sf2 specific pad to do the SF2 tournament? Tell me it wasn't the FZ-1 own controller - please...

Nice website by the way - looks very professional!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

3DO Kid.

dawid22
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dawid22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Go back to our site and scroll down a bit and you will see Tekken 5 tournament results. Click on that you you will see a pick with some people playing on the 3DO (has caption underneath it). Not the best pic in the world, but at least these gamers get to experience something else besides PlayStation 2 which dominates our country. 360 seems to be taking off now and Nintendo has just left us so I'm trying to import a Wii :(

Either way... it was the FZ-1 own controller :oops: :oops: Chances of finding an arcade stick here is as good as you guys finding african art walking down the street from whereever you are :)

Game I have played and enjoyed the most of the 3DO so far would be Gex, awesome title. I love the 3DO controller, I think it has the best D-Pad eva!

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Introduction

Post by cdoty » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi, I'm Charles.

You may have seen some of my previous work:

Frog Feast (http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net)
Saturn/PSX/N64 Sporting Clays (http://releases.emuvibes.com)
and countless other developments for Arcade, Consoles, and computer systems.

I attempted to start Frog Feast for the 3DO, but ran into many issues. Most of the work was based on Mnemonic's demos.

I own two FZ-10's (one is Japanese), and a FZ-1.

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:04 pm

Hello all,

I'm Ben from the UK. It's great to see the recent rise (although still terribly overlooked by many) in the machine's popularity. I've been registered on the freedo website for quite a while though I rarely post, especially when I'm not very savy on PC's.

I got a Goldstar way back in 1995, but got rid of it two years later when it became impossible to get games for it, but thankfully the internet (and ebay) made 3DO stuff available again and I've had an FZ 1 for over three years. Got quite a lot of games (a few rare ones too), lots of controllers, Flightstick, memory unit and a dozen or so 3do mags.

Long live 3DO! :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Introduction

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:54 pm

cdoty wrote:Hi, I'm Charles.

You may have seen some of my previous work:

Frog Feast (http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net)
Saturn/PSX/N64 Sporting Clays (http://releases.emuvibes.com)
and countless other developments for Arcade, Consoles, and computer systems.

I attempted to start Frog Feast for the 3DO, but ran into many issues. Most of the work was based on Mnemonic's demos.

I own two FZ-10's (one is Japanese), and a FZ-1.
Hiya Charles, thanks for joining. I'll be honest I hadn't seen that before. What issues did you run into with 3DO?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:55 pm

fish wrote:Hello all,

I'm Ben from the UK. It's great to see the recent rise (although still terribly overlooked by many) in the machine's popularity. I've been registered on the freedo website for quite a while though I rarely post, especially when I'm not very savy on PC's.

I got a Goldstar way back in 1995, but got rid of it two years later when it became impossible to get games for it, but thankfully the internet (and ebay) made 3DO stuff available again and I've had an FZ 1 for over three years. Got quite a lot of games (a few rare ones too), lots of controllers, Flightstick, memory unit and a dozen or so 3do mags.

Long live 3DO! :D
Hello mate! Thanks for joining. Which rare ones have you got?

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi 3DO Kid, great job on your blog site, I found out about it through that RetroGamer magazine issue.

The games I've got probably aren't rare by your high standards, so unfortunately there's no Firewall or anything like that in my collection, lol! I've got a fw Japanese games such as Virtual Stadium Pro Baseball, Autobahn Tokyo, Dr Hauzer, J-League 95, Policenaughts. Other than that the rest are quite common, Lucienne's Quest was bloody expensive, as was Olympic Soccer and Olympic Games.

Anyway, cheers for the welcome, hopefully more 3DO fans will come out of the woodwork.

cdoty
Bringer of game signing

Re: Introduction

Post by cdoty » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:06 am

3DOKid wrote:Hiya Charles, thanks for joining. I'll be honest I hadn't seen that before. What issues did you run into with 3DO?
The GCC compiler generated data was out of alignment. I didn't have access to a debugger to see what the problem was.

The lack of true hardware documentation prevents using any of the advanced features. And, building a CD would probably be a nightmare.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi there,

I guess many here know me already from the CDinteractive forums or my Games That Weren't websites. Nice to see a dedicated 3DO message board finally. :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Greetings all! I'm Trev, from the States. I am very excited about this new forum, and hope it takes off like the cd-i forum has. Although 3DO is my fav system, I love all videogames. I own over 20 systems, and counless games. For 3DO, my game list is 100+ and growing. I love the fact that 3DO has no regional lock out, so I can collect the cool japenese imports that never made it overseas. I also like the variety found on 3DO ... in many ways I think it plays more like a pc than a console. For current gen, I am looking forward to picking up a Nintnedo Wii. For vintage, I love my Cd-i, Duo, & Cd32 among others. The last system I picked up was a Jag cd.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:28 am

fish wrote:Hi 3DO Kid, great job on your blog site, I found out about it through that RetroGamer magazine issue.

The games I've got probably aren't rare by your high standards, so unfortunately there's no Firewall or anything like that in my collection, lol! I've got a fw Japanese games such as Virtual Stadium Pro Baseball, Autobahn Tokyo, Dr Hauzer, J-League 95, Policenaughts. Other than that the rest are quite common, Lucienne's Quest was bloody expensive, as was Olympic Soccer and Olympic Games.

Anyway, cheers for the welcome, hopefully more 3DO fans will come out of the woodwork.
I often forget that people actually read that 3DO article in RG. forunately it was written by someone capable of stringing English words together coheriently. i.e. not me. That man was John Szczepaniak of RG. John is actually a consistantly good writer. The weird thing is when I brushed with the the Jag fans (spits on ground) , it was him who promoted the Jag in the mag and again he was the chap behind the CDi article Magazine (what ever one of those are!)

I'm a gushing JS fan because - well - he put my name in Retro Gamer magazine and that was a childhood dream right there! :wink: it made a nasty '06 (for many reasons) good.

...and in some ways he was the silent force (like in Jedi) that bound CDi and 3DO together to make this forum.

Rule 1 of 3DO Kid: All hail JS.
Rule 2 of 3DO kid: Obey rule 1.

:D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:31 am

Trev wrote:Greetings all! I'm Trev, from the States. I am very excited about this new forum, and hope it takes off like the cd-i forum has. Although 3DO is my fav system, I love all videogames. I own over 20 systems, and counless games. For 3DO, my game list is 100+ and growing. I love the fact that 3DO has no regional lock out, so I can collect the cool japenese imports that never made it overseas. I also like the variety found on 3DO ... in many ways I think it plays more like a pc than a console. For current gen, I am looking forward to picking up a Nintnedo Wii. For vintage, I love my Cd-i, Duo, & Cd32 among others. The last system I picked up was a Jag cd.
Hello mate! Thanks for joining. What is a 'CDi' - I don't think I've heard of one of those. Did it have any games? :twisted:

On a serious note: I think 3DO offers a friendly introduction into Japanese gaming since you don't have to worry about compatibility. Some of the games are actually playable and some, even rarer, are playable and crucially rewarding: Dr Hauzer. (hint!)

Shado42
SPAMMER

Post by Shado42 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:51 am

Hi,

Just found this forum through 3DOKid's posts on AtariAge. It would be great to have a few more consoles at the Jagfest this year.

I've just got started on the 3DO. I was a fan of the game Starblade in the arcades and was keen to find a console version. Found a cheap FZ-1 in Brick Lane Sunday market then got a few games from Ebay. Also, while looking for a controler on Ebay I ended up buying another FZ-1.

This one is a bit different as it has been RGB modifed. The only problem is the cable was missing. It has an 8 pin mini DIN socket in place of the TV modulator. managed to find the right plug from Maplins but I'm not too sure on how to wire it. The left and right sound pins are easy to identify but if anyone has any ideas on the others please let me know

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Even though I've already posted in another thread or two, I'll just give my shout out that I'm here, and enjoying the fact that there is a dedicated 3DO forum. I'm in my early 30s and live in central Ohio, USA.

I was hooked to games at a very, very young age. Grew up with the Atari 2600 and an Apple IIe (still have both, and they work), and graduated onto pretty much every successive system. There were a few other kids my age on the street where I lived growing up, and between us we had the 2600 and darn near every single game made for it, the IntelliVision, and the Odyssey2. Later on I picked up a ColecoVision (still have that one too), and a Vectrex (sold it while I was still a kid to fund my GI Joe and Transformer habit, sadly). By junior high I had the Sega Master System, NES and ActionMax (which, sadly, I also still have :wink: ), and went through a Genesis and SNES later on.

After I grew up and moved out on my own, I was a relatively early adopter of the 3DO platform, then went to PC gaming almost exclusively until buying the N64 for the sole purpose of playing Zelda, Ocarina of Time.

And so on, and so on ...

This weekend, I think we've permanently hung up the PS2 controllers since getting a Wii.

Speaking of which, if I'm not on here for the next 200 hours or so, either I'm playing Zelda: Twilight Princess, or I've torn all the tendons in my elbows playing Wii Sports.

The only thing worse than being a gaming kid and not being able to afford all the games and systems, is being a gaming adult, and realizing that you still cannot afford all the games and systems.

Stupid bills.

Of all the systems I've owned, I'm most fond of the 3DO, which is the one platform I've maintained a large gaming library for. I'm not particularly sure why, but the thought of the 3DO just makes me all warm and fuzzy. The moment I popped in Road Rash the day I brought the console home, and heard the opening riff from Soundgarden's Rusty Cage in glorious CD quality stereo, I knew the 3DO was something special.

I wasted at least a full year of my life playing FIFA, which was absolutely groundbreaking when it debuted.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:55 pm

Shado42 wrote:Hi,

Just found this forum through 3DOKid's posts on AtariAge. It would be great to have a few more consoles at the Jagfest this year.

I've just got started on the 3DO. I was a fan of the game Starblade in the arcades and was keen to find a console version. Found a cheap FZ-1 in Brick Lane Sunday market then got a few games from Ebay. Also, while looking for a controler on Ebay I ended up buying another FZ-1.

This one is a bit different as it has been RGB modifed. The only problem is the cable was missing. It has an 8 pin mini DIN socket in place of the TV modulator. managed to find the right plug from Maplins but I'm not too sure on how to wire it. The left and right sound pins are easy to identify but if anyone has any ideas on the others please let me know
Hello buddy - welcome to the forum! I was a fan of Starblade. There is something mezmorizing about that game. Well - for me anyway!

I have no idea what you mean by RGB modified - it sounds interesting! I'll have a dig around!

3DO Kid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:01 pm

Dryden wrote: ...
Of all the systems I've owned, I'm most fond of the 3DO, which is the one platform I've maintained a large gaming library for. I'm not particularly sure why, but the thought of the 3DO just makes me all warm and fuzzy. The moment I popped in Road Rash the day I brought the console home, and heard the opening riff from Soundgarden's Rusty Cage in glorious CD quality stereo, I knew the 3DO was something special.

I wasted at least a full year of my life playing FIFA, which was absolutely groundbreaking when it debuted.
Hello Dryden - thanks for stopping by. I was always amazed by the number of games I had for the 3DO. Probably around 30 circa 1999. I have around 200 and something now but I've been actively collecting. Like you - I dunno why either? Kinda weird.

I'm not a big fan of sports games but even I remember Fifa fondly. I always feel slightly dejected these days when people deride Fifa, as it's churned out every Christmas, the same goes for NFS. Perhaps I'm emotionally attached to FIfa and NFS because they were so good on the 3DO!

3DO Kid.

weisguy119
3DO ZERO USER

Post by weisguy119 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:38 am

Hello people,

I recently purchased a Goldstar 3DO system, with Way of the Warrior and two controllers, off eBAy. The system, game and controllers are in very good condition. I just beat Way of the Warrior yesterday on the equal difficulty setting. I know many people hate the game, but it's the reason I bought a 3DO and the reason I'm here. I really like the game.
I'm in my mid thirties and I've owned thirteen game consoles over the years. I've owned the Atari 2600, Colecovision, NES, Super NES, Sega Master System, Turbografx 16, Sega Genesis (with 32X and Sega CD) and PS1. I currently own a 3DO (obviously), Xbox, PS2, DS lite, Atari Flashback and Wii (love the virtual console).
I'm wondering what games are worth buying for the 3DO. I bought an extra copy of Way of the Warrior, in case I damage one. The game isn't too easy to find. I lucked out and found a complete one with the long box and instructions included. It even came wrapped in plastic, even though it was used. It made me feel like I purchased it new in the mid nineties. I was happier having scored such a good copy of WotW than I am when buying most new games (with the notable exception of Guitar Hero 2). It must be the whole retro collection vibe.
Right now, I'm playing the Wii quite a bit. I downloaded Bonk's Adventure, R-Type, Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. from the virtual console. I also got Madden 07, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. All are mad fun. Of course, I must get my Way of the Warrior fix every now and then as well. Im thinking about dropping the cash for Captain Quazar, but I'm not too sure it's worth the $25 or so that it seems to go for on the retro market. Can anyone give me an idea of the top five must-have games for the 3DO? Thank you all and good day!

weisguy119
3DO ZERO USER

Post by weisguy119 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:42 am

Hello again,

I forgot to mention my name is Jeffrey. I commented in the Way of the Warrior review yesterday.

Take care

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:45 am

I'll leave the recommendations to the more experienced 3DO GuRuS in here.

Just curious, how does the Virtual Console compare to the originals? Especially R-Type which I believe is part of the PC-Engine batch of games.

weisguy119
3DO ZERO USER

Post by weisguy119 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:51 am

The virtual console games are exact duplicates of the originals. I have the classic controllers, so the feel is much the same as it was back when I owned the games for their respective systems. R-Type is the same mind-numbingly difficult, yet hard to stop playing, game it was back in the early nineties. I recommend it. It is a PC-Engine game. I had the Turbografx 16 version as I live in the US. Both are identical as far as I know.

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:45 pm

weisguy119,

My personal top 5 favorites for the 3DO are Road Rash, FIFA, Twisted, Return Fire, and Star Control II.

Now, being that you're a Way of the Warrior fan, and I've never really gotten into fighting games myself short of the year MK was released, I'm probably not the best person to ask for recommendations. I do own Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown, and will say they're very, very well done; just not my cup of tea, so they're virtually never taken out of their boxes. Those two are generally agreed upon must haves, though -- SSFIIT almost unanimously as the 3DO version is universally acknowledged to be the best console port of an arcade fighter, ever.

Devin,

I have heard (and seen) conflicting information regarding the Virtual Console on the Wii. My suspicion is that the VC titles are emulations from the original release ROMs, as I noticed that all the bugs and glitches that were specific to Super Mario Bros on the NES in 1985 are present in the VC edition, including the 'minus world' glitch and the problem of getting stuck in pipes on the water stages requiring you to reset the console.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:44 pm

weisguy119 wrote:Hello again,

I forgot to mention my name is Jeffrey. I commented in the Way of the Warrior review yesterday.

Take care

hello buddy welcome to the forum,

...OK OK, I'll play Way of the Warrior again - I'm sure I'm right about this though it's pap... mumble-mumble chunter-chunter.

I've always liked fighting games. Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, King of Fighters, Street Fighter Alpha, which probably makes me cynical. These games are all a bit anti-fighting-n00b as well. Notice the absense of Mortal Kombat - which I loathed with a passion only comparable to my loathing of Doom and Wolfenstein. So - WoW probably hit a nerve.

I'm more mature these days - I'll give it another go. :wink:

You've picked some good "must haves" there by the way. I keep meaning to start playing Star Control again. I just need a spare month!

3DO Kid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 pm

I have heard (and seen) conflicting information regarding the Virtual Console on the Wii. My suspicion is that the VC titles are emulations from the original release ROMs, as I noticed that all the bugs and glitches that were specific to Super Mario Bros on the NES in 1985 are present in the VC edition, including the 'minus world' glitch and the problem of getting stuck in pipes on the water stages requiring you to reset the console.
We in the UK got the patent pending Nintendo Butt Assault (tm) The Wii VC games have giant epic sized borders and they run at the crippled sloths pace of 50hz. So yeah, it's just like '85 for us too! more mumble-mumble, more chunter-chunter.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 am

I really don't know why they don't at least provide an optional 60HZ download. Most newer sets can support the format after all and they might of known the old 50/60HZ argument would come into play. At the end of the day VC is simply an emulation, all be it a crippled version compared to the excellent free PC emulators!