Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Introduce yourself.

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:28 pm

3DO Experience wrote:*except in the case of @*#&$^!*!(, where ever he is.
We never mention that name..

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:12 pm

I've been a member since 2007, but would just rarely pop my head in every couple of years, mainly because I'd started out coming to the site often, but it was often dead or slow, so I stopped checking in. but with the demise of JS2 and the opening of a Jaguar forum here, I'm back, and will be popping in much more often as it seems to be a relatively busy site now! Good stuff!

Anyway, I've owned a 3DO since '96, I got it basically because I was first a Jaguar owner and when Atari went under, I picked up a 3DO to fill in titles that were supposed to come out for the Jag, but didn't and were out for the 3DO. I became a big 3DO fan, and stayed a Jag fan, and they both have been sitting next to each other for nearly 2 decades now, complimenting each other. Both are still my favorite consoles of all time!

One of these days I'll take pictures of my collections and post, but I lost my memory cards to my camera at some point and can't find them! Plus, it's an old 1.5 mega pixel camera that takes the old wafer cards, so I don't even know if I can get replacements anymore!

It's good to be back!

P.S., I'm still looking for some one who can give me a run for my money at 3DO NFS. I think I'm still the world champ for times! :lol: (my times and pics to prove are buried somewhere on the site, but I'll not bring it up unless someone else does first)
LOL, I just noticed the link is in my old signature below...
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:26 am

Gunstar wrote:P.S., I'm still looking for some one who can give me a run for my money at 3DO NFS. I think I'm still the world champ for times! :lol: (my times and pics to prove are buried somewhere on the site, but I'll not bring it up unless someone else does first)
LOL, I just noticed the link is in my old signature below...
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm not exactly sure what that emoticon is, with that stick thingy, but it's clearly and angry/mad smiley...
Is it because I was too ambitious years back with trying to start an active thread competition and trash-talking? or because you are upset at not meeting/beating my times? Or other reason? :oops:
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 am

Alright Gunstar!

Good to have you 'back' mate 8)

p.s. that 'stick thing' is a pump action shotgun!

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Gunstar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Alright Gunstar!

p.s. that 'stick thing' is a pump action shotgun!
It needs to be a different color then, I've never seen a white & red shotgun! :roll:

NFS RULEZ! :P
Trip WHOkins?!?

abdulaziz perkins
3DO ZERO USER

Post by abdulaziz perkins » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi I'm new here but owned a 3do since Jan 1996.I recently got it out of the attic for my 9year old nephew and it was the first time I saw 3do for 12 years. I'm glad to see its still an amazing machine hasn't aged. I'm going to write a lengthy thread about the wonder and magic of my 3do jocrnet another time.but hi to you all- and gunstar really enjoyed your nfspd thread.I'm going to check our times from back in the day

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey there and welcome to the boards! Good to hear that your 3DO unit is still intact after all that time.

Alberto 2K
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Alberto 2K » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi everybody,

My name is Alberto (as you might have guessed!) and I'm from Spain, my english is not the best but I think we'll be able to communicate.
I've been a Jaguar fan for some years and it's nice to see there's a section here for this console. :wink: I was a JSII user and I recognize some other users of that forum here. I also love the Neo Geo and, in general, arcade games.

Regarding the 3DO: the first time I tried it was in 94-95, when the console was released here and the first game I played was The Need For Speed, it was a blast back then and it's one of the reasons I decided to buy a 3DO. Sadly, it was too expensive for me, like the Neo Geo and the Jaguar, and couldn´t afford any of them... this may be one of the causes I'm attacted to them much more than any other consoles I had.
I bought my jap FZ-10 just a year ago and only have a few games (NFS, Madden, Scramble Cobra, Syndicate, Theme Park and Starblade) but I'm planning to expand the collection soon, I just bought Star Fighter and Phoenix 3.

I discovered this forum some years ago and had a look from time to time. 3DOKid vids discovered me some great games of this console, I had a laugh watching them with the Jaguar comments!

Hope to learn more about the 3DO and enjoy playing its games. :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Alberto 2K wrote:3DOKid vids discovered me some great games of this console, I had a laugh watching them with the Jaguar comments!
Maybe if we bug him enough, he will make more. :P

Welcome to the forum!

Alberto 2K
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Alberto 2K » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes, would be nice to see more 3DOKid vids, what do we need to do to bug him enough? :)

BTW, assuming you're Austin Mackert in youtube, I enjoyed your Primal Rage review, I think it's a fair one. I played this game when I was a teen on the SNES and besides its obvious flaws I liked it.
I also had it on the Jaguar and I think it's the best fighting game for the system, not difficult seeing the crappy fighters the Jaguar have... I'll buy the 3DO version to see how it compares.

3DO gamers were lucky to have top quality games like SSFII and Samurai Shodown!

Thanks for the welcome.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Alberto 2K wrote:Hi everybody,

My name is Alberto (as you might have guessed!) and I'm from Spain, my english is not the best but I think we'll be able to communicate.
Hi Alberto. Welcome to 3DO Zone.

I remember you from JS-II and have, no doubt, seen you posting elsewhere before now too.

Seems we're quite similar in our like for the NeoGeo, Jag & 3DO!

All 3 of those console occupy one gaming shelf in my gaming set-up. I think they look awesome together...

Alberto 2K
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Alberto 2K » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Ninja, yes we met in other forums before!

Yeah, we have similar tastes in gaming, these consoles have been always interesting and attractive to me, they have a different personality that other systems from that era. :)

I also have more consoles but I always have one Neo Geo and the Jaguar ready to play. From now I'll let the 3DO join them, there are several games for it I'd like to play and I think it will not dissapoint me.

Hope to talk with you more!

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Alberto 2K wrote:Hi Ninja, yes we met in other forums before!

Yeah, we have similar tastes in gaming, these consoles have been always interesting and attractive to me, they have a different personality that other systems from that era. :)

I also have more consoles but I always have one Neo Geo and the Jaguar ready to play. From now I'll let the 3DO join them, there are several games for it I'd like to play and I think it will not dissapoint me.

Hope to talk with you more!
Yeah... likewise :)

Dan Iacovelli
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dan Iacovelli » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey all, I'm new to this forum not a great follower of 3DO, but heard about your Jaguar section and I like to be anyplace that talks about atari in general.
to answer the question: yes I'm one the main guy that keeps jagfest alive in the states at MGC and at my show Video game summit.
Dan Iacovelli
AVC Online: http://avconline.atari.org
Video Game Summit: http://VideoGameSummit.net

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Fri May 09, 2014 4:11 am

Dan Iacovelli wrote:Hey all, I'm new to this forum not a great follower of 3DO, but heard about your Jaguar section and I like to be anyplace that talks about atari in general.
to answer the question: yes I'm one the main guy that keeps jagfest alive in the states at MGC and at my show Video game summit.
Nice to see you made it here Dan. Just more credibility around here having you here! Nice to see you anyway.

Hola to Alberto too. More members is a good thing.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Dan!
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 am

Dan Iacovelli wrote:Hey all, I'm new to this forum not a great follower of 3DO, but heard about your Jaguar section and I like to be anyplace that talks about atari in general.
Alright Dan!

Nice to see you round these parts dude 8)

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun May 11, 2014 12:55 am

Welcome, Dan!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed May 14, 2014 1:43 am

A big welcome to Alberto and Dan. Oh and don't worry about your English Alberto, you type better than some native speakers here. LOL
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new here, found my way via a user's suggestion to come here from atariage.com.

I picked up my FZ-10 just a couple of days ago, and I've been having a blast with it. To the point that I honestly feel a bit guilty not even being aware of the system when I was a kid. Of course I've known about it now for a long time, but most people tend to unfairly lump it in with the CD-i, thus I never bothered to give it a chance.

I have a local game store near my work here in Arizona. Their stuff is either way over priced or suspiciously cheap... never right where it needs to be. With a bit of luck, I noticed he had an FZ-10 3DO sitting in the case. It's in mint condition, with not a single scratch on it. It came with the original AV cords, RF cord, power cord, and FZ-10 controller (no headphone jack). It also came with a capcom 6 button fighting pad, which wasn't even displayed with the system! I ended up passing on it, but after researching the system ran back on Friday to buy it right after they opened shop.

He had a decent selection of games. I felt bad in a way for not getting them all, as they all came from the same previous owner, but there were quite a few junk titles or games that were WAY over priced (he wanted $30 for Sherlock for instance).

I picked up the long box version of Road Rash in great condition, as well as jewel case versions of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Star Fighter, and Gex. I LOVE each of these games. Really impressive stuff, and Road Rash is even better than my Saturn version. Biggest surprises were Star Fighter and Gex. Top quality stuff. Street Fighter was a given... SO good.

Since then I've picked up Battle Sport, Stellar 7, and Soccer Kid, with my eyes on a handful of other titles. Hmmmmm.

Not bad for 99 bucks, either way. And irregardless of the price, I've really gotten into this system, which is rare for a console that I had no previous nostalgia for. It's just great on its own. I know there are some junk titles (like all systems), but the game library really speaks to me. Tons of 90s era PC ports that I can't wait to get. Heck, just having the best version of Wing Commander III is almost enough to justify the cost of the console. Plus the system and controller are just so well designed. It almost reminds me of a "next gen" PC Engine Duo design wise.

Anyway, I ended up loving it so much, I convinced my co-host of our podcast to get one. He found an FZ-10 Japanese model for cheap as well, and has been getting some games.

Either way, here are some pics below. The new games haven't come in yet, so I don't have pictures of them. I hope to be a great contributing member of the site, and look forward to meeting you all.

podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Tue May 27, 2014 4:58 pm

FZ-10 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm new here, found my way via a user's suggestion to come here from atariage.com.

I picked up my FZ-10 just a couple of days ago, and I've been having a blast with it. To the point that I honestly feel a bit guilty not even being aware of the system when I was a kid. Of course I've known about it now for a long time, but most people tend to unfairly lump it in with the CD-i, thus I never bothered to give it a chance.

I have a local game store near my work here in Arizona. Their stuff is either way over priced or suspiciously cheap... never right where it needs to be. With a bit of luck, I noticed he had an FZ-10 3DO sitting in the case. It's in mint condition, with not a single scratch on it. It came with the original AV cords, RF cord, power cord, and FZ-10 controller (no headphone jack). It also came with a capcom 6 button fighting pad, which wasn't even displayed with the system! I ended up passing on it, but after researching the system ran back on Friday to buy it right after they opened shop.

He had a decent selection of games. I felt bad in a way for not getting them all, as they all came from the same previous owner, but there were quite a few junk titles or games that were WAY over priced (he wanted $30 for Sherlock for instance).

I picked up the long box version of Road Rash in great condition, as well as jewel case versions of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Star Fighter, and Gex. I LOVE each of these games. Really impressive stuff, and Road Rash is even better than my Saturn version. Biggest surprises were Star Fighter and Gex. Top quality stuff. Street Fighter was a given... SO good.

Since then I've picked up Battle Sport, Stellar 7, and Soccer Kid, with my eyes on a handful of other titles. Hmmmmm.

Not bad for 99 bucks, either way. And irregardless of the price, I've really gotten into this system, which is rare for a console that I had no previous nostalgia for. It's just great on its own. I know there are some junk titles (like all systems), but the game library really speaks to me. Tons of 90s era PC ports that I can't wait to get. Heck, just having the best version of Wing Commander III is almost enough to justify the cost of the console. Plus the system and controller are just so well designed. It almost reminds me of a "next gen" PC Engine Duo design wise.

Anyway, I ended up loving it so much, I convinced my co-host of our podcast to get one. He found an FZ-10 Japanese model for cheap as well, and has been getting some games.

I hope to be a great contributing member of the site, and look forward to meeting you all.
Hi FZ-10. That's quite an imaginative username! :mrgreen:

Welcome to 3DO Zone. It's great to have you on board. I've noticed you've been pretty active round here as of late, so thought it was about time I chimed in and said "Hi".

Unfortunately, things are a little slow around these parts, but things do still move. Just slower than your average forum community I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you finally took a chance on the 3DO and have fallen for it's unmistakable charm. It really is a great machine with a solid library and a personality all of its own.

Many of us are 3DO vets and know our sh*t, so if you have any questions etc, just fire away.

I look forward to reading more about your journey and interests re: 3DO, as and when they unfold (i.e. SSF2Turbo!).

All the best...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 am

Nice start to a collection there man. Road Rash is a total must, so you are on your way to a nice little set of games. Have fun and play often!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
FZ-10 wrote:Hey everyone. I'm new here, found my way via a user's suggestion to come here from atariage.com.

I hope to be a great contributing member of the site, and look forward to meeting you all.
Hi FZ-10. That's quite an imaginative username! :mrgreen:

Welcome to 3DO Zone. It's great to have you on board. I've noticed you've been pretty active round here as of late, so thought it was about time I chimed in and said "Hi".

Unfortunately, things are a little slow around these parts, but things do still move. Just slower than your average forum community I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you finally took a chance on the 3DO and have fallen for it's unmistakable charm. It really is a great machine with a solid library and a personality all of its own.

Many of us are 3DO vets and know our sh*t, so if you have any questions etc, just fire away.

I look forward to reading more about your journey and interests re: 3DO, as and when they unfold (i.e. SSF2Turbo!).

All the best...

It's ok, it's not nearly as dead as the virtual boy's forums I joined a few years ago. And the community seems nice, so that's all that matters. I look forward to talking to you on the forums, thanks for the warm welcome :)
lostworldarcade @ xbl

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:09 am

T2KFreeker wrote:Nice start to a collection there man. Road Rash is a total must, so you are on your way to a nice little set of games. Have fun and play often!
Thanks :). Yeah, Road Rash is amazing. I had it on the Saturn years ago and thought it was an impressive Saturn title. The 3DO version is even better.

Btw, I've since picked up the long box versions of Battle Sport, Stellar 7, and Trip'd. I got a jewel case version of Soccer Kid. Considering how expensive the long box version of Trip'd goes for on eBay (150 ish), I'm quite happy with my 30 dollar purchase :).

And there's still dozens more I want to buy. Immercenary looks really cool to me for whatever reason. And of course I need to buy Wing Commander III, Samurai Shodown and Rebel Assault among many others :).
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri May 30, 2014 2:56 am

Welcome to the boards, FZ-10! And great intro post!

I'd say you indeed made a nice haul to launch off your 3DO collection. I haven't played most of the games you got in your starter pack, but they're all of good repute, and the hardware looks to be in lovely shape.

As the only game of which I own more than one version, I have to say I prefer the Saturn version of Gex, but both versions are undeniably terrific. (Don't know about the PlayStation version.) Gex's abilities still stand out as distinct from the crowd, and that coupled with the level design makes it truly a platformer with a lot of depth. It's a shame about the sequels, but at least we got this one.

Sorry to say this, but methinks whoever sold you Trip'd pulled one over on you. The long box version of Trip'd doesn't go for "150 ish" on Ebay; in fact, a quick search of the listings shows that for the past month it's never sold for more than $37, just barely above what you paid for your unboxed copy. I myself got my jewel case copy a year and a half ago for $12 shipped off Ebay. It's a good light action puzzler, and I imagine it must be a lot more fun in two-player mode, if you're lucky enough to have someone to play 3DO games with.

Soccer Kid's an okay platformer, but no competition for Gex in either gameplay or technical specs. It feels very much like a previous generation release.

Immercenary is really cool. It's definitely a unique and inspired piece of work, but unfortunately, it's not much fun to play. The two big downfalls are that it's really hard to get started (it's an old school RPG, as in you start off being killed in two hits by the weakest enemies in the game), and that once you get started, it's over too quickly. The game is very similar to Virtual Hydlide, so if you're a fan of that one, definitely give Immercenary a try.

Rebel Assault is an unusual one to have on one's must-have list. I assume you're a fan of the PC version, then?

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:03 am

Martin III wrote:Welcome to the boards, FZ-10! And great intro post!

I'd say you indeed made a nice haul to launch off your 3DO collection. I haven't played most of the games you got in your starter pack, but they're all of good repute, and the hardware looks to be in lovely shape.

As the only game of which I own more than one version, I have to say I prefer the Saturn version of Gex, but both versions are undeniably terrific. (Don't know about the PlayStation version.) Gex's abilities still stand out as distinct from the crowd, and that coupled with the level design makes it truly a platformer with a lot of depth. It's a shame about the sequels, but at least we got this one.

Sorry to say this, but methinks whoever sold you Trip'd pulled one over on you. The long box version of Trip'd doesn't go for "150 ish" on Ebay; in fact, a quick search of the listings shows that for the past month it's never sold for more than $37, just barely above what you paid for your unboxed copy. I myself got my jewel case copy a year and a half ago for $12 shipped off Ebay. It's a good light action puzzler, and I imagine it must be a lot more fun in two-player mode, if you're lucky enough to have someone to play 3DO games with.

Soccer Kid's an okay platformer, but no competition for Gex in either gameplay or technical specs. It feels very much like a previous generation release.

Immercenary is really cool. It's definitely a unique and inspired piece of work, but unfortunately, it's not much fun to play. The two big downfalls are that it's really hard to get started (it's an old school RPG, as in you start off being killed in two hits by the weakest enemies in the game), and that once you get started, it's over too quickly. The game is very similar to Virtual Hydlide, so if you're a fan of that one, definitely give Immercenary a try.

Rebel Assault is an unusual one to have on one's must-have list. I assume you're a fan of the PC version, then?
Hey, the unboxed copy of Trip'd was at a local store. I bought a complete long box one for 30. So I did well :). I've seen others for well over a hundred fifty. Like Samurai Shodown, certain copies are going bonkers right now online. It's insane, and no one is buying them obviously, but it's hard to find cheap copies of certain titles.

Yeah, I got Soccer Kid for about 4 bucks, so I figured why not. Was complete, so win win. It didn't look exciting, but it's nice to have in the collection.

I've seen Immercenary's videos and I can definitely tell it's flawed. I donno what it is about it though. Maybe the fact it's not a cooridor shooter, or Tron-like feel to the game world. Whatever it is, it's drawing me in :). I won't expect much from it.. so hopefully with that perspective I'll be pleasantly surprised :)

Yeah, actually I was a huge fan of the PlayStation version back in the day. It was the first time I played it. THEN I played it on PC :). The 3DO is a very faithful port. If only the second was released on the system.. that would have been great! Then again, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe it's a bit more nostalgia than great game.

Thanks again for the warm welcome :). Please check out my Stellar 7 review and my other threads. Hope to talk to you around the boards.
lostworldarcade @ xbl

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Just thought I'd chime in... TRIP'D is one of my fave 3DO titles.

Ordinarily, I don't actually enjoy Puzzle games (y'know, the usual falling block sh*t.), but something about this one - simple as it is - always pulls me in.

It's quite charming.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Fri May 30, 2014 10:19 pm

The price of Trip'd went through a weird spike a few months ago, as I recall. I was making a trade with someone for the empty longbox (already had the jewel case), checked up on completed auctions, and was surprised by how high the prices had gotten. I got my jewel case copy for $9 a few years ago.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 am

goldenband wrote:The price of Trip'd went through a weird spike a few months ago, as I recall. I was making a trade with someone for the empty longbox (already had the jewel case), checked up on completed auctions, and was surprised by how high the prices had gotten. I got my jewel case copy for $9 a few years ago.

That's what I was trying to say before. It's spiked very high.... jewel case version not so much, but the long boxes of several games are insane right now. That's even on Amazon.com.
lostworldarcade @ xbl