Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Introduce yourself.

Post by FZ-10 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 am

NeoGeoNinja wrote:Just thought I'd chime in... TRIP'D is one of my fave 3DO titles.

Ordinarily, I don't actually enjoy Puzzle games (y'know, the usual falling block sh*t.), but something about this one - simple as it is - always pulls me in.

It's quite charming.

I'm really glad to hear that. I can't wait to try it out :).

Getting into a new system is always such a blast, especially when the console's library is this well-rounded :).
podcast & vidcast @ gaikokugamers.com
daytonausa @ atariage.com
lostworldarcade @ xbl

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CatPix » Sat May 31, 2014 10:29 am

Hello :)

I finally decided to come here after a discussion on AtariAge about my 3DO - something that I'll show in another, dedicaced thread I guess - and also by the fact I have been interested by the 3DO since I first heard of it about 2 years ago and got one around the same time.
I like retrogaming and I like the underdogs; and the 3DO is certainly one of the biggest of those unknow consoles.
I hope alot to see homebrew released for the system, and real one running on the R.E.A.L. hardware; because it's alwas nice to see a system still up and living, and also to see what it could do that wasn't done at the time (so I think 3D games - I think Gex pushed the 3DO well enough in the 2d department).
For now I own only a FZ-1, NTSC model (or so my TVs says). Can't tell if that's a Jap or US model, as I got it totally loose.
And no "real" games, shame on me, but the prices for whenever I can find games online are just too much. I haven't seen any game sold for less than what I paid for the system :roll:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat May 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Glad to have you aboard.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

FZ-10 wrote:Yeah, I got Soccer Kid for about 4 bucks, so I figured why not. Was complete, so win win. It didn't look exciting, but it's nice to have in the collection.
4 bucks for a complete copy? Wow, I'd have grabbed it too at that price. I have a disc-only copy because I figured that's the only way I'd be able to get it for a single digit figure. And hey, now we have both of the 3DO's platform jumpers! :)
FZ-10 wrote:I've seen Immercenary's videos and I can definitely tell it's flawed. I donno what it is about it though. Maybe the fact it's not a cooridor shooter, or Tron-like feel to the game world. Whatever it is, it's drawing me in :). I won't expect much from it.. so hopefully with that perspective I'll be pleasantly surprised :)
Part of it's the Tron-like feel, I agree. For me one of the main draws is how it anticipates MMOs, not just conceptually, but in the way enemies behave: It's not you versus everyone else, but everyone vs. everyone, as rithms attack each other as readily as you, and make use of the same recovery spires. I'm not an MMO enthusiast, but I like that strange feeling of being in a world where your enemies are not bots aiming to destroy you at all cost, but people like you trying to keep their player character alive and level him up.
FZ-10 wrote:Yeah, actually I was a huge fan of the PlayStation version back in the day. It was the first time I played it. THEN I played it on PC :). The 3DO is a very faithful port. If only the second was released on the system.. that would have been great! Then again, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe it's a bit more nostalgia than great game.
Too faithful, if you ask me. Even in 1993, the 3DO's standards were much higher than the ultra-grainy FMV and animated digital stills seen in Rebel Assault, which was released for the 3DO in late 1994. But I too enjoy the game despite it being a shovelware port. Objectively speaking the gameplay is simplistic and unduly frustrating, but I really got a thrill out of the challenge of the lock-on aiming system, and playing through the action sequences of the Star Wars film is a joy. Plus, the password system means I can play through any of my favorite levels anytime I get the urge (or replay the game while skipping the levels I didn't enjoy).

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Welcome to the boards, CatPix!
CatPix wrote:I hope alot to see homebrew released for the system, and real one running on the R.E.A.L. hardware; because it's alwas nice to see a system still up and living, and also to see what it could do that wasn't done at the time (so I think 3D games - I think Gex pushed the 3DO well enough in the 2d department).
What about PO'ed?
CatPix wrote:And no "real" games, shame on me, but the prices for whenever I can find games online are just too much. I haven't seen any game sold for less than what I paid for the system :roll:
You must be looking in the wrong place... The only 3DO games I've had trouble finding for a reasonable price are Lucienne's Quest, Brain Dead 13, and Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return. And in the case of IAotA:TR, it's not so much a case of finding it for a reasonable price as finding it, period. (As for Brain Dead 13, that one's not even worth the trouble of burning a copy.) Certainly Return Fire, Gex, Samurai Showdown, The Need For Speed, The Incredible Machine, Dr. Hauzer, Wing Commander III, Guardian War, Twisted, and Alone in the Dark are all highly esteemed 3DO games which can easily be found in the $20 range if not lower. Just to save your FZ-1 the wear and tear of playing burned games.

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CatPix » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Well for games, I don't have much choice than local auctions, and eBay, and... Unless you want loose discs, there is nothing below the 30/40us$ mark.

As for PO'ed... Really the 3DO can't do better? I might be wrong, but Need for Speed seems to be pushing the system better. But heh, I'm not a programmer so maybe PO'ed pull the system out more than NFS :mrgreen:

Hell, even Dr Hauzer feels more "pushing" on the system with "real" 3D graphisms. But it's not as smooth indeed. However, it might as well be poor or non-perfected programmation.

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:23 am

Martin III wrote:
FZ-10 wrote:Yeah, I got Soccer Kid for about 4 bucks, so I figured why not. Was complete, so win win. It didn't look exciting, but it's nice to have in the collection.
4 bucks for a complete copy? Wow, I'd have grabbed it too at that price. I have a disc-only copy because I figured that's the only way I'd be able to get it for a single digit figure. And hey, now we have both of the 3DO's platform jumpers! :)
FZ-10 wrote:I've seen Immercenary's videos and I can definitely tell it's flawed. I donno what it is about it though. Maybe the fact it's not a cooridor shooter, or Tron-like feel to the game world. Whatever it is, it's drawing me in :). I won't expect much from it.. so hopefully with that perspective I'll be pleasantly surprised :)
Part of it's the Tron-like feel, I agree. For me one of the main draws is how it anticipates MMOs, not just conceptually, but in the way enemies behave: It's not you versus everyone else, but everyone vs. everyone, as rithms attack each other as readily as you, and make use of the same recovery spires. I'm not an MMO enthusiast, but I like that strange feeling of being in a world where your enemies are not bots aiming to destroy you at all cost, but people like you trying to keep their player character alive and level him up.
FZ-10 wrote:Yeah, actually I was a huge fan of the PlayStation version back in the day. It was the first time I played it. THEN I played it on PC :). The 3DO is a very faithful port. If only the second was released on the system.. that would have been great! Then again, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so maybe it's a bit more nostalgia than great game.
Too faithful, if you ask me. Even in 1993, the 3DO's standards were much higher than the ultra-grainy FMV and animated digital stills seen in Rebel Assault, which was released for the 3DO in late 1994. But I too enjoy the game despite it being a shovelware port. Objectively speaking the gameplay is simplistic and unduly frustrating, but I really got a thrill out of the challenge of the lock-on aiming system, and playing through the action sequences of the Star Wars film is a joy. Plus, the password system means I can play through any of my favorite levels anytime I get the urge (or replay the game while skipping the levels I didn't enjoy).

Yeah, very happy with Soccer Kid's price. And I'll be honest... I've spent a lot more on worse 3DO games. Not saying it's a great platformer, by any means, but the audio is great, and the game has its merits. Quite happy I got it.

Yeah, really want to pick up Immercenary and Rebel Assualt, but I need to slow down my purchases for the 3DO for now. I have a ton of games. Time to play more than buy atm :P. I do like that there is a password system on Rebel Assault. It would have been frustrating as all hell without it. And yeah, the graphics aren't good, even for an FMV game. But... STAR WARS! haha
lostworldarcade @ xbl

FZ-10
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FZ-10 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:24 am

CatPix wrote:Hello :)

I finally decided to come here after a discussion on AtariAge about my 3DO - something that I'll show in another, dedicaced thread I guess - and also by the fact I have been interested by the 3DO since I first heard of it about 2 years ago and got one around the same time.
I like retrogaming and I like the underdogs; and the 3DO is certainly one of the biggest of those unknow consoles.
I hope alot to see homebrew released for the system, and real one running on the R.E.A.L. hardware; because it's alwas nice to see a system still up and living, and also to see what it could do that wasn't done at the time (so I think 3D games - I think Gex pushed the 3DO well enough in the 2d department).
For now I own only a FZ-1, NTSC model (or so my TVs says). Can't tell if that's a Jap or US model, as I got it totally loose.
And no "real" games, shame on me, but the prices for whenever I can find games online are just too much. I haven't seen any game sold for less than what I paid for the system :roll:

Hey! It's daytonausa from AtariAge! Glad you made it here :). Hope you figure out what your FZ-1 is all about :)
lostworldarcade @ xbl

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 pm

CatPix wrote:Well for games, I don't have much choice than local auctions, and eBay, and... Unless you want loose discs, there is nothing below the 30/40us$ mark.
A quick search of completed listings shows there are plenty of complete 3DO games selling - or even failing to sell - for less than $30 on Ebay.

CatPix
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CatPix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Well ATM I didn't found much games that interest me for cheap. Either the start price is already too high or the seller doesn't ship overseas. But Yeah I guess I'll find games over time.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 pm

i would like to welcome Google [BOT] and Bing [BOT] to the forums

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 am

LOL I noticed that too.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 am

Mike Fulton has joined our group. He's not a 3do guy but more related to the Jaguar and Playstation. He was the Tools Manager for the Jaguar when he worked for Atari. Then when Atari tanked he worked for SCEA for a couple years.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

RetroGamingBlog
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RetroGamingBlog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Good day one and all,

My name is Ash and as you've guessed I'm new to the community here.

I may be new to the forum, but I'm certainly no stranger to the 3DO having purchased one way back in the day. I actually purchased the Goldstar too, but could never acquire the TRY.

3DO (FZ-1 model) is my all time favourite console and I suspect a lot of that is to do with nostalgia, but having those experiences still translate for me today. I currently own an FZ-1 and plan on continuing to build on my collection once again. My favourite games include: Space Hulk, GEX, Killing Time, Road Rash, Return Fire and Need for Speed. But I did find guilty pleasures in Night Trap and Supreme Warrior.

I look forward to chatting to like minded users here and thank you for having me.
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 am

Welcome RGB. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Welcome aboard, RGB! Night Trap is one of my 3DO top five; terrific fun.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Scott Corley has joined us. He is an ex High Voltage Software alumni and the author of Ruiner Pinball for the Atari Jaguar. Among other things that work behind the scenes. :)

FUJISAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FUJISAN » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 am

ようこそ、RGB! :D
I want a Goldstar!(It is difficult to obtain in Japan)
Because I make a note using translation software, I think that it becomes a poor English sentence.
I'm sorry.

If there is rude expression, please point it out.
Thanking you in advance.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi all, technically I'm not new but I haven't been around in an absolute age. Financial situation worsened somewhat and ended up in a lot of debt (I fell for that Wonga trap, believe it or not(!) amongst other things) so decided it was time to make the hard decisions and get myself debt free. As well as lots of overtime and selling the Wii U (meh, it wasn't being used anyway), I also had to bid a devastatingly tearful farewell to my 3DO! (Apart from the magazines.)

But now, debt free, in a new town beside the sea with a new outlook on life (and not to mention a new Mac Mini). It's going to be the new year before I can reinvest in the 3DO dream again but it's a definite thing! I won't go into all the details of my time with 3DO in the 90s as I've said it all before, but the first time I came back to 3DO a few years ago I tapped myself out money-wise, buying up all I could but then never playing them because I had too much (and was skint as a result too), so this next time it's going to be the old-fashioned way - buy a machine in great condition with a couple of "pack-in" games and take it from there. There's no rush after all.

But great to be back finally!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:14 am

It wasn't that long ago, but welcome back anyway! Slow is definitely the way to go with collecting; there's something depressing about having a game on your shelf that you bought over five years ago and still haven't gotten around to playing.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Feels like that long ago, so much has happened and changed for me, but yeah looking back it's been less than a year. That's actually surprised me! So what have I missed...?

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi!
Thanks for approving me so quickly :mrgreen:
I'm Saturn, the famous (or not so) Jaguar collector and custom Jag Kiosk modder of JSII folklore :p

I was given a link here by a good friend on another site.
I have a 3DO along w/ a modest collection. As soon as I can dig it out I plan to post the contents and hopefully expand that badboy to epic proportions!!
Can't wait to get started 8)

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Saturn wrote:Hi!
Thanks for approving me so quickly :mrgreen:
I'm Saturn, the famous (or not so) Jaguar collector and custom Jag Kiosk modder of JSII folklore :p

I was given a link here by a good friend on another site.
I have a 3DO along w/ a modest collection. As soon as I can dig it out I plan to post the contents and hopefully expand that badboy to epic proportions!!
Can't wait to get started 8)
Saturn! What is up buddy! I'm still stuck in the Towers II room with the theives and the hanging chains goddammit! :D

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Haha NO WAY man! :lol:
I'm going to start playing that soon so I can get stuck there with ya.

I've gotten too busy over the years. Started a computer repair company and between that & 'females of the species,' there's not a lot of time left for the important stuff :p

With Songbird's recent emails tho- my interest in the Jaguar has been rekindled :wub:
I have my priorities straightened out now. Back to the Jaguar 24/7. 8) 8) 8)

Been roaming around the internet since February when the house o' JSII burned down *sniff*
Glad to be a part of this forum :) Trying to get a grasp on the rules so I don't wake up dead (banned) :shock:

GREAT to hear from you Amigo! :D

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Make sure you grab Robinsons Requiem and Impulse X for the Jag if you haven't already. :)

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Awesome thanks. I bought a copy of RR when it first came out plus another one the other day just to support Carl.
Where can I get Impulse X?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Saturn wrote:Awesome thanks. I bought a copy of RR when it first came out plus another one the other day just to support Carl.
Where can I get Impulse X?
Console 5 had them for US but they are sold out. I think you can buy them direct from Matthias but that would be with overseas shipping.

Console 5
http://console5.com/store/

Any other questions we should take to the Main Jaguar forum instead of sidetracking this thread. :)

Blades
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Blades » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:06 am

I haven't been on the boards in a while.

Looks like not much has changed.
What Has EA turned into...tsk tsk

mck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mck » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:37 am

i also haven't been on the board in a few years.

i'm gonna fire up some 3D0 games tonight. someone recommend me something laughably bad that's kind of obscure. i feel like yelling at the TV.

mck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mck » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:42 am

ALSO, unrelated but I found a 3DO flightstick at a goodwill for $3, but i left without any money and by the time I got back to it someone else had found where i hid it and bought it.