Re: Introduce yourself.

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear that mck. :(
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

thund3r
3DO ZERO USER

Post by thund3r » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi guys, another person on board the 3do bandwagon... I used to own a 3do some years ago with Return fire, Need for speed and a few select FMV games, however i'm once again the the market for a 3do model so I'll be scrolling the ebay auctions and retro game shops to find one in due time.

Got a fair amount of classic systems and handhelds stored away and been to my fare share of classic gaming conventions so I'm not completely new to the scene.

anyway see you around.

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Hello and welcome :)
I've only been here a week or two but thought I'd say hi.

Went to dig out my 3DO this weekend only to find out it and several other systems I collected for are missing.
About to hit some auctions myself and start re-acquiring. 8)

thund3r
3DO ZERO USER

Post by thund3r » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Saturn wrote:Hello and welcome :)

Went to dig out my 3DO this weekend only to find out it and several other systems I collected for are missing.
Hi Saturn, yea I know the feeling as you forget where you store them or someone has moved things around, Hopefully I don't rend up shill bidding on ebay against you, but good luck in building up your collection.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 am

mck wrote:i also haven't been on the board in a few years.

i'm gonna fire up some 3D0 games tonight. someone recommend me something laughably bad that's kind of obscure. i feel like yelling at the TV.
How about Snow Job? Or B.C. Racers?

Welcome back.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:00 am

Welcome, welcome all!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah; mck, Saturn & thund3r...

Welcome to the 3DO Zone guys! 8)

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 am

Indeed, welcome to all the new members, always great to see more people reacquaint themselves with the 3DO :D

Saturn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saturn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:18 pm

thund3r wrote:
Saturn wrote:Hello and welcome :)

Hi Saturn, yea I know the feeling as you forget where you store them or someone has moved things around, Hopefully I don't rend up shill bidding on ebay against you, but good luck in building up your collection.
You too :)

Thanks for the welcomes everyone 8)

tomwaits
SPAMMER

Post by tomwaits » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi everyone!

While I do own a 3DO and small collection of games, I joined this site to check out the Jaguar subforums. I've been hanging around Jaguar 'communities' for several years and stumbled onto this site in my latest attempt to find Jaguar conversation that's free of community drama. (snipe hunt?)

Anyway, lots of familiar users here from the old JS2 community... nice to 'see' everyone again!! :)

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:16 pm

tomwaits wrote:Hi everyone!

While I do own a 3DO and small collection of games, I joined this site to check out the Jaguar subforums. I've been hanging around Jaguar 'communities' for several years and stumbled onto this site in my latest attempt to find Jaguar conversation that's free of community drama. (snipe hunt?)

Anyway, lots of familiar users here from the old JS2 community... nice to 'see' everyone again!! :)
Mr Waits!

Good to see you. Although I don't engage in online gaming, you are indeed still in my PSN members list. I only have around 10 people in that btw ;)

Good to have you onboard 8)

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Aer Fixus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 am

Well, hello everyone.

An introduction to myself and my 3DO: I am a video game and system collector, however, as a college student, money is tight, so I work on a budget. I buy systems broken. They are much cheaper that way. For instance, my Wii was $5. So was my PS2 and my Dreamcast. All of them had games and controllers, but since the old owner had no use for a broken, outdated (to them) system, they just wanted to get rid of them. And when systems don't have controllers, games or hookups, I can get them even cheaper. My current Xbox 360 was $1 before I un-red ringed it with a carefully placed blowtorch. My PS1 was $0.25 because it had nothing to go with it. The list goes on. (The most interesting console acquisition was an Atari 5200 that I traded a tin of pure Cadmium metal for)

The only exception to my golden rule of: buy broken stuff, was the 3DO. While volunteering at the local recycling-heavy thrift shop and while organizing the video game shelf, below stacks of 360s, behind the box of 2600s and pushed off to the side next to the broken Dreamcasts and other assorted [potential] junk (all covered in dust), there was the 3DO. I didn't know what it was, but it looked interesting so I took note of the name so when I went back to my dorm, I could look it up and see what it was. At the very least, I needed to figure out what it was so I could look for it in the future. When I got back, I promptly forgot the name and was sure to write it down the next time I returned.

After looking it up and seeing that it was a competitor to the PS1, I was getting more and more curious. It was my first obscure system that I actually had the chance to buy. I promptly saw this forum and the work regarding homebrew games. Then, and now, the games were all simple 2D arcade-like games. Anything more than that were demos of games that will likely never come to fruition. At this time, all of my systems were either cartridge based, or they would require a mod chip to run burned homebrew games. The 3DO didn't need that and that made me excited. Not only could I develop for the system, I could have instant gratification. As I dug deeper, I saw more and more threads regarding actually being able to make 3DO games and how to do it (compiling ISOs, setting up the SDKs in Windows, etc, etc). I had to have it.

After a month or two of pestering the store manager about the system, we agreed on $30 for various reasons (each reason having its own, somewhat long story that will not be told now). I borrowed $30 from a friend who is just as interested in collecting as much gaming history as I am and eventually paid him off with pizza and chicken wings (as one does in college to repay debts). The system itself was not broken, but I lubricated the laser track just in case as I had heard that was a common issue with the FZ-1. It sat around and I tested out the games I could find through different methods craving to be able to actually make games for it.

I downloaded everything I needed and put it all together, but I couldn't get it to work. It sat around for a while not doing anything. I thought it was an issue with my 64 bit system because I did have some errors when getting everything set up properly. When I tried in on multiple 32 bit systems and the same problem occurred, I quickly realized that I was doing something wrong. After more research, multiple more attempts and lots of trial and error, I found out my mistake was somewhat simple, although I can understand how it seemed so invisible to me at the time. That happened just a few days ago. After more than a year, I finally got the whole setup working.

I did have particularly bad timing because I'll be returning to school all too soon and won't have as much time as I'd wish to actually make something. In my spare time, I'll start off with something simple (that is, 2D). It will likely be Tetris. There isn't a 3DOtris yet and every system needs a Tetris port! Then I'll move onto simple 3D. I'll likely clone Intelligent Qube as it's one of my favorite games for the PS1 (It's right under Jet Moto 2, but not only is that very complex, I'm not sure the 3DO can handle something like it quite yet). Although I.Q. is wonderfully simple, it wouldn't hurt to have a game mode with some extra mechanics to change things up a bit when the main game gets too repetitive. I can see Tetris coming out soon (before 2015), but as with anything there are no guarantees. It will definitely be a side project to school and while Tetris itself isn't all that complicated, I'll be experimenting with different 3DO functions and seeing what the best way to do different things is.

(that was a tad long winded... That's to be expected of me. If you want something concise, in most cases, I'm not your guy)

~Aer / Pink

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:15 am

lol awesome post. good to have you here.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:28 am

Indeed, a very interesting and entertaining read. Welcome to the boards, Aer Fixus!

I keep hoping that I'll find 3DO or Saturn stuff at a thrift shop, or something similarly obscure, but no luck as of yet. Very impressive that you fix all your consoles. I find it funny that people who do fixes and mods on consoles always say "It's easy, anyone can do it," and then you watch the videos of them doing it to find that it's several hours of intensive and delicate work requiring you to know exactly what every chip and transistor on the console board does.
Last edited by Martin III on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:38 am

Ehh, you're overstating that a bit. For the majority of problems with consoles, if you look online there's likely a fix for it. And probably even a guide. If you're extremely lucky, a tutorial video or two. Most repairs and mods come down to simply following directions. If you can follow the directions on the back of a box to bake a cake, you can repair a console. You just might need some specialty tools like a soldering iron, or a specific security-screw screwdriver. That would cover probably 90% of mods and repairs.

There are definitely more complicated things, though. For instance, reballing the CPU/GPU of an Xbox 360 or a PS3. That definitely requires specialty equipment and time to learn. I'm personally not willing to put in the investment for that. Same deal with replacing a smaller IC with the tiny tiny legs. Either you get a really pointed, thin soldering iron tip and practice, or you get something specifically made to replace chips like that. Ah, I miss the days of large chips with HUGE legs that even a small child could replace, like on an Atari 2600. Those were the days.

Now, if you're trying to diagnose a problem that you've googled and no one has ever had before, then you might get into the schematics and learning what chip does what, etc. But these days, with the internet, nearly every problem has occurred before and discussed somewhere online.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:41 am

Aer Fixus wrote:I downloaded everything I needed and put it all together, but I couldn't get it to work. It sat around for a while not doing anything. I thought it was an issue with my 64 bit system because I did have some errors when getting everything set up properly. When I tried in on multiple 32 bit systems and the same problem occurred, I quickly realized that I was doing something wrong. After more research, multiple more attempts and lots of trial and error, I found out my mistake was somewhat simple, although I can understand how it seemed so invisible to me at the time. That happened just a few days ago. After more than a year, I finally got the whole setup working.

~Aer / Pink
Could you please go into the programming section and document your experience and the end result so that others who want to program on the 3do can get up and running as fast as possible without going through a year of trial and error?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

jcalder8
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jcalder8 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:03 am

It's first impression time, I better make it count!
3DO = Great
I think I nailed it!

My name is Jon and I have been a gamer my whole life. I first played the 3DO when I rented it from a local video store. I had it for a week with 2 games. Now some 20ish years later I have one again and this time I get to keep it! I am going to post my find in the correct thread but it got me off to a great start. I am going to be slowly increasing my collection. I don't know a lot about the system but I am looking forward to learning more :D

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome to the boards, Jon! I saw your post in the other thread, and that is indeed a very impressive start to your 3DO collection. It's going to take you a long while to fully enjoy all of those!

RetroGamingBlog
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RetroGamingBlog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Jon, Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself. But I'll chip in and say, you're absolutely right - the 3DO is a fantastic console to collect for!

Which system model did you go for? Enjoy those titles!

Ash
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi everybody. You can call me zetastrike. I'm a longtime member from over at Sega-16. A little about me: I'm a 23 year old graduate student with a major in pharmacology. My thesis research is focused on cancer pharmacology using fruit flies and mammalian cells as models. I've been an avid game player/collector since high school. I've always been interested in the non mainstream. Things like Nintendo bore me. I first started reading about the 3DO 11 or 12 years ago. Before that, I associated the 3DO brand with Army Men. I didn't know they had their own console. Something about the machine always fascinated me, the hardware itself, the game library, the business model. I've wanted one for many years and finally pulled the trigger back in June. I got myself a nice FZ-1 with one gamepad and the original AV cables. Since then I've managed to gather the following games: Belzarion, Bladeforce, Cyberdillo (I like it, sue me), Gex, Guardian War, PO'ed, Return Fire, Slayer, Soccer Kid, Street Fighter, Starblade, Novastorm (Japanese copy), Quarantine, and Virtual Horror (Japanese Monster Manor). I'm really pleased with the quality of the whole package. It's a great system that gets maligned today because it wasn't fortunate enough to finish at the top of the heap. So, I hope to have a good experience here. I've been lurking for a while and figured any meaningful activity is good for the 3DO community. I've been binge watching ewhac's LPs for the past week or so. I hope he uploads some more in the near future.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 am

Nice to see you over here, zetastrike. This place could use some fresh faces. :mrgreen:

I know what you mean about binge-watching ewhac and gammadev's videos. I feel like I can't watch the latest one on D until I actually play the game, though -- I imagine there are spoilers galore.

Barone
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Barone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm Barone and I've been part of the Sega-16 community for quite some time.
I like to put together some useful info and share it with other people.

I bought a Panasonic FZ-10 around three years ago and I love the system. I have a good number of controllers/peripherals for it and I really dig the quality of its video output.
I think it's extremely overlooked nowadays and usually underrated platform.

I've been reading some threads here for some time and I decided that it was the time to register and partake some of the discussions.

Thanks!

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:36 am

Hi all!

I love to develop for consoles, specially the old ones, and always wanted to try the 3DO.

I've started this evening looking for all required material and this forum proved to be a great source of help, so that's why I registered.

Since it's my first day I barely started programming it, I've been busy setting up the environment work flow so I can build my programs and get them into the emulator in a seamless way.

I want to share my "hello world" program, which I have customized for the forum as a "Thank you" for all the great info you have collected here:

I know, it's a dull program, only testing that my environment works, and trying sprite rendering (cels).

Now I want to focus on 3d programming, I've done software rendering before but always working with triangles, working on a quad rendering platform sounds like a fun a challenge :mrgreen:

I also going to acquire a Japanese fz-10 soon (from my little understanding of the 3DO scene, sounds like the most compatible). I love RPGs so probably slayer and lucienne's quest would delay me a little in the programming department :roll:

So that's all, spammer out :mrgreen:
You can't take the sky from me

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:47 am

That's really cool. It's always nice to see people working with old hardware, especially something niche like the 3DO. I hope you'll be able to make something great in the future. Welcome.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:16 am

Welcome here Saffron !
Nice to see indeed i'm not the only one interested to program for 3DO and it seems like my tutorials and examples were useful to you !
Can't wait to see what you'll come up with !

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 am

Saffron wrote:I want to share my "hello world" program, which I have customized for the forum as a "Thank you" for all the great info you have collected here:

I know, it's a dull program, only testing that my environment works, and trying sprite rendering (cels).
WipEout2097... eh? :mrgreen:

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:05 am

That's awesome! We look forward to what hopefully will be interesting banter between you and blabla regarding your 3do programming endeavors.

Perhaps you guys can streamline the process of Homebrew on the 3do. It doesn't look like it's too clear cut from what I can tell. But I may just not be looking close enough. :)

stinkoman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by stinkoman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello, long time 3DO fan. Probably have a story like most. Always wanted one as a kid, but parents couldn't/wouldn't buy one. A few years later when the prices dropped and the word of the M2 was going to come out and make the old system more powerful I started really saving money for the first time to get one. I was debating on getting a heavy discounted FZ-10 with games but passed so I could get the stylish looking new M2 that I seen in pictures with D2. But after waiting a while and see more pictures of a little game called Final Fantasy VII I went a head got a playstation like most of my friends. I am in the process of getting a free FZ1 and enjoy the fact all the good games are not crazy expensive. I'm looking forward to getting bust a move as my first game for it.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Welcome to the boards! Bust-a-Move... now there's an unusual choice for a first 3DO game.

stinkoman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by stinkoman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:02 pm

Martin III wrote:Welcome to the boards! Bust-a-Move... now there's an unusual choice for a first 3DO game.
I have a lot of memories playing bust a move in an arcade and one that isn't probably appropriate to share lol.

The game I always wanted though was killing time and just want to test the system on something cheaper to make sure it works incase it doesnt.