Total Eclipse, Novastorm, or Need For Speed graphics on PS1?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Total Eclipse, Novastorm, or Need For Speed graphics on PS1?

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 am

Ok, I'm getting a 3DO, but I also have a PS1, and I would love to know if any of the three titles I mentioned that are on both consoles look better on one or the other-graphically speaking. It's great to be on here; I LOVE the 3DO!! :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:48 am

I can't comment on Total Eclipse or Novastorm, but imho both the Psx & Saturn versions of NFS look worse than the 3DO one.

The Saturn is easily the least appealingly graphically. The Psx has an edge on it, but it can't match the 3DO original. It has more of a grainy/gritty look to me. The shadows are wonky also.

Even if the Psx graphics did trump the 3DO's in this case it wouldn't matter. The gameplay was reworked to such a poor extent that the 2 barely feel like the same game. Slapping arcade paint on a sim doesn't work.

Btw, welcome to the forum.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 am

The PC version of NFS can run 640x480. I know it's not PS1, but as a NFS nut I can't help but mention what might be the best version. ;) There's also NFS SE on PC which has some extras.

I've played the 3DO and PC versions and I think if you can get a good control setup on the PC that it is pretty much the same gameplay. The 3DO has some extra vids (but that guy is quite annoying lol). It also has some different menus, which I found confusing for a bit actually.

PC version runs well in DOSBox. I don't know if NFS SE's Win95 support will work with a recent Windows natively but it works in DOSBox too.

Some info
http://firstgennfs.rscsites.org/tnfsse.php

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:32 am

Novastorm on the PlayStation is a different game. Same kind of gameplay, concept, etc., but the video is redone (if I remember right), the firepower is much larger and shoots much more rapidly, etc.

As far as the original Need for Speed port, I can't say. I watched the Lazy Game Reviews comparison between all the versions of the original Need for Speed, over at YouTube.. I recommend checking it out! According to it they are all pretty good, but if you're looking for more of a sim, the original 3DO game or the PC original (Special Edition) is the way to go.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:21 pm

The PS1 versions are toilet. I love my ps1, I love my 3do, but a spade's-a-spade and the PS1 ports of all three games are gash.

Nfs was dumbed down on the ps1 and the colour palette was a dogs dinner.

Novastorm? Fmv on the ps1 is rubbish. The scenery is rubbish. The music is rubbish.

Total eclipse, thr frame rates clearly higher on the PS1 but it looks less crisp. It does iirc have some extra bells and whistles.

The 3do version was better on all accounts. Always the way with ports I find.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Is it me, or does it seem like the 3DO puts out the 3D graphics much smoother than the Saturn or PS1? I know those other two consoles are a bit more powerful, but.. it seems like the 3DO's graphics are much cleaner looking, less jagged, etc etc. Maybe it's the 3D engine in the 3DO? I dunno what it is - but even if can't display as many polygons as the other consoles, it just always has a nice clean/crisp/non-grainy look to it.

dave4shmups
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dave4shmups » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:35 pm

3DOKid wrote:The PS1 versions are toilet. I love my ps1, I love my 3do, but a spade's-a-spade and the PS1 ports of all three games are gash.

Nfs was dumbed down on the ps1 and the colour palette was a dogs dinner.

Novastorm? Fmv on the ps1 is rubbish. The scenery is rubbish. The music is rubbish.

Total eclipse, thr frame rates clearly higher on the PS1 but it looks less crisp. It does iirc have some extra bells and whistles.

The 3do version was better on all accounts. Always the way with ports I find.
OK, thanks! I will get the 3DO ports, then! Yeah, I don't notice as many jagged edges in 3DO games, either.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:04 am

oldskool wrote:Is it me, or does it seem like the 3DO puts out the 3D graphics much smoother than the Saturn or PS1?
Yeah I think you have a point there. They both were a bit jumpy.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:02 am

Doesn't the 3DO also use a higher standard resolution than the Saturn and PlayStation? That would theoretically be why 3D visuals look sharper on the system.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:24 am

Yes I forgot about that. I knew it was better than Saturn's but I would have easily thought PS's could have been higher until I looked it up. Good catch.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"