does 3do deserve a little more credit?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

does 3do deserve a little more credit?

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I know I've posted on this before, but it drives me bonkers.

Are there truly no games on the 3do worthy of being in a mainstream list of top 50 or 100 games? Seriously?

Most of the classics got ported, sure, but they never make it either. Star Control 2, I can't be arsed with it myself but it's exactly the kind of game that you would expect to be in an IGN or Eurogamer top 100 -- but ohhh no.

Now, I've come to expect mario and sonic to be strewn across the top 20, despite my vocal protests, but Gex at number 98? Return Fire at number 83? Really? Are they really so far removed? Starfox on the SNES with it's SuperFX chip was (and I played it recently on SNES) a bag of old butt-biscuits compared to StarFigher or Total Eclipse or Wing Commander III all out around the same time but no, there it will sit at number 45 while 3DO languishes in oblivion.

I'm going to start a 3DO militant movement. GAMERS FOR 3DO Recognition. Then I'm angrily going to verbally beatup editors and reviewers until I get my own way. All I need is a meancing logo.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Surely Return Fire would deserve a mention :shock:

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Are you talking 3do exclusive titles?

Although I don't regard most 3do owners as hardcore, I'm thinking that alot of the games that translated to a more "mainstream" market got ported over and made the list such as Gex. Therein lies the problem with these lists they rarely tip the lid to more obscure consoles and games cos frankly people haven't heard about them and can't relate to them. I reckon lists such as these often feed the masses in reassurance that they are part of the crowd.

The multitude of Nintendo games that usually make these lists, I personally wouldn't place so highly.

What I'm pretty sure though, is that my 3do exclusive classics would be in contrast to your list. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 am

Depends on the list. It might be harder to find nowadays, but I remember seeing 3DO games make top 100 lists (lower end of it mind you) in the late 90's. As time marches forward though, it is easily forgotten it seems.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 am

Eh.. Quite frankly I think a lot of it has to do with 3DO games not aging particularly well. Also, some of the games that DO hold up pretty well (like Gex), run smoother on platforms it was ported to (i.e., the PlayStation version). Other well-regarded games (like the Need For Speed), had more well-rounded editions elsewhere (NFS SE on the PC, primarily). Of course there are a lot of great, obscure, unique titles on the 3DO, but as we all know, a good majority of them aren't for everyone. I haven't looked at a top 100 list in quite some time (I don't tend to agree with them entirely, either), but I would think that in itself would keep anything from appearing on one.

Regarding the bit about Star Fox, it's kind of hard to compare it to Wing Commander or Starfighter IMO. Maybe on a visual level, sure, but in the end you are comparing what is basically a rail-based arcade game to titles focused on free-roaming, mission-oriented gameplay.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am

Austin wrote:Eh.. Quite frankly I think a lot of it has to do with 3DO games not aging particularly well. Also, some of the games that DO hold up pretty well (like Gex), run smoother on platforms it was ported to (i.e., the PlayStation version). Other well-regarded games (like the Need For Speed), had more well-rounded editions elsewhere (NFS SE on the PC, primarily). Of course there are a lot of great, obscure, unique titles on the 3DO, but as we all know, a good majority of them aren't for everyone. I haven't looked at a top 100 list in quite some time (I don't tend to agree with them entirely, either), but I would think that in itself would keep anything from appearing on one.

Regarding the bit about Star Fox, it's kind of hard to compare it to Wing Commander or Starfighter IMO. Maybe on a visual level, sure, but in the end you are comparing what is basically a rail-based arcade game to titles focused on free-roaming, mission-oriented gameplay.

You make some good points. Particularly Star Fox. Now, I actually enjoyed the N64 sequel, Llyatt Wars, but the SNES version (original?) was just too crude. The frame rate is attrocious, even for me, the controls dire, it really doesn't hold up. The sequel was a proper adventure mind, you went places, you saw things, and the things you saw were brilliant - and it was great fun. And I liked for the same reasons I like Novastorm and StarBlade and Killzone, if i can't go where i want, at least take me to the best places. And it does. The original though was full of flimsy looking triangles. The SuperFX chip was crap. It was an insult to charge people £100 for a game that looked this bad. And that's any of the SuperFX games IMHO. You bought two, you should have bought a Atari Jaguar, bought 4 you should have been shot.

Here is a good example of populist top 100:
http://www.empireonline.com/100greatest ... lt.asp?p=5

What a complete load of crap. There must be a games forum somewhere where people just get together to tell each other how right they are... tragically, they are wrong.

IGN Top 100s feature 3DO games. :shock:
http://uk.top100.ign.com/2005/071-080.html
Number 73, 3DO Return Fire. (Always liked IGN me)

Here's another good popularised Top 50. It even puts a PS2 game at number 1, and I still want to throw up. I particularly hate these cool gamer websites. Mostly because they are such apologists and are devoid of any real opinions, in the desire to 'make it big', they just make gushing love to what ever the industry tells them to. Oooh Kenetic, tug-tug-tug Move, arrrr Casual Gamers, uuuuuh Little Big Planet. All of which are a big pile of shit.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-top-50-v ... 5591.phtml

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:43 am

For Mario and Sonic et al, you'll notice that critics and players alike react really well to brands almost as much as an actual game. It's kind of pathetic that Halo still sells, really.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Are there any good lists that just have console games? I don't much care for the combos of console, pc, mac, arcade, etc...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Back to the FX chip games... I dont remember their price being marked up in the US. I had bought quite a few of them new actually.

Starfox
Stunt Race FX
Super mario world 2: yoshis Island

Then I ended up getting Doom and Vortex used. So I passed your "being shot" quota of 4. :)

And I fell in love with Starfox the first day I played it. It was the thrid snes game I had got. Sure the gfx weren't that great, but it was hella fun to play. At least it was to me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:15 pm

I thought 3DOKid changed your quota from "being shot" to "being kicked in the head" :lol:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:23 pm

with golf shoes. The redemption process has not been finalized yet.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:46 pm

i remember the FX games being alittle higher than regular games in the US, i think starfox was $70 when it came out, i think
and i stopped looking at the FX games when i bought the Stanley Cup hockey game for the SNES, talk about a vomit party waiting to happen if your playing drunk

here is the VG review scale from the 80's to now

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Star Fox was the same price as every other SNES game where I was, $70. Maybe it just depends on where you lived at the time.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 pm

I think most of the new 16-bit carts were fetching upwards of $70 during those days. That is one of the things that made 3DO so sweet when I bought it. Brand new games were $15-20 bucks cheaper, and older games could be fetched for less than $10 sometimes.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 pm

You lucky Americans. I remember people up and down this quaint old land, being bent over the checkout counter paying for SuperFx chip games. Not Doom, but then, then that moment had passed for all consoles.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 am

3DO Experience wrote:Star Fox was the same price as every other SNES game where I was, $70. Maybe it just depends on where you lived at the time.
here it was about a $10 difference ($59.99 to $69.99) for new ones, they had displays with just starfox on it. i remember the starfox craze but i never played it. i think it was more about the type of game, the RPGs sold for alot more and stuff like the Stanley Cup hockey i bought sold for $40

i just remembered that i could be mixing up the superfx games with the games with the mode7 (which was the hockey game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:09 am

BryWI wrote:And I fell in love with Starfox the first day I played it. It was the thrid snes game I had got. Sure the gfx weren't that great, but it was hella fun to play. At least it was to me.
Yeah, likewise. Granted, I was probably 11 when it came out.. But it was my first fully-polygonal experience on a home console. Needless to say, I was blown away, and the game was just a lot of fun too. Hell, I think by that point I had only seen one or two 3D games in arcades (we didn't have many around here), nor did I know what a 3DO was.. Needless to say, this visual concept was brand-new to me (and I'm sure plenty of other youngsters at the time).