Who was lucky enough to play Crash N Burn in October of 93?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Anth
3DO ZERO USER

Who was lucky enough to play Crash N Burn in October of 93?

Post by Anth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Prior to October 1993, I was very excited about the 3DO and the possibilities it presented. Seeing screenshots of Jurassic Park with a giant character walking around, and seeing screenshots of Star Trek: TNG really impressed the heck out of me. However, as impressed as I was by all of it, no way in hell was I spending the $599.99 or whatever the thing actually retailed at. Luckily, I had a good friend who jumped on the bandwagon immediately.

This buddy of mine was an even a bigger early-adopter than me. (which is saying something). He got the 3DO on launch day, and proceeded to tell me how amazing it was. I ended up over at his house alot during that time, playing the hell out of Crash N Burn and waiting patiently for the release of Total Eclipse.

I must say that the experience of playing Crash N Burn back then was like none other. I think this is one of the things that is forgotten about the 3DO. The general public at large didn't get exposed to the 3DO until the price of the machine had come WAY, WAY down. This was a couple of years after it was launched, so most people that experienced Crash N Burn thought it was really lame, because they were playing it almost 2 years after it had first come out.

Those of us that were lucky enough to play the thing in late 1993, know better. The thing was absolutely the pinnacle of Next-Gen gaming at that time. Think about the other games that people were playing in 1993 on the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. Sure, lots of great 16-bit games, but technologically speaking, Crash N Burn was light-years beyond that. I remember telling him, "Dude, you basically have an arcade machine in your house with this 3DO". Because I honestly think that if Panasonic made a Arcade cabinet with a 3DO in it, playing Crash N Burn, in late 1993, it would have been very popular, because the graphical fidelity was on par with what was going on in the Arcades at the time. In some ways, it was beyond what was going on in the Arcades.

I still enjoy playing Crash N Burn to this day, because the nostalgia feeling that it gives me is irreplaceable. I like playing it on a rainy day, because in late October and November of 1993, I remember playing it at his house when it was overcast and rainy. Very special memories. Lots of people consider the 3DO to be one of the worst gaming systems ever, and they just have no idea how wrong they are, primarily because their first exposure to the 3DO came post Saturn/Playstation/N64, and the 3DO didn't compare too well to those other systems. Those of us that played the 3DO in 1993 and 1994 know better. :)
Last edited by Anth on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anth
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Who was lucky enough to play Crash N Burn in October of

Post by Anth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:15 pm

oops

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 pm

See I bought mine and swear that I paid $700, but I do remember thinking that I was happy buying it from Electronics Boutique. If I still had the receipt I could check but that is gone along with the box.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 am

I played it on the store kiosk. It was pretty mind blowing for a SNES / DOS guy in 1993.

I also played Super Wing Commander and that was awesome too especially as a WC nut.

But PC started to get these level of games in 94 so I kinda lost interest. 3DO left an impression but it was wayyyy too expensive for me.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 am

I was the one lucky kid at my grade school whose parents bought them a 3DO in october of 1993. That first weekend with the system my friends and I stayed up all Friday night, facilitated by an ocean of caffeine-infused softdrinks, playing Crash N Burn. I don't believe our mouths were picked up off the floor until Sunday because of those arcade-quality visuals. I mean truly, to see that level of fidelity you had to visit your local arcade.

The next week I had other students offering their lunch money to me as some sort of bribe in hopes of me allowing them to visit my house to play this next-gen system. I actually bought Total Eclipse, Monster Manor, and Madden from the accruement of their lunch money :lol: . The game was critically well received from publications like EGM, Electronic Games, GameFan, Gamepro, and GamePlayers. They all raved about the mind-blowing visuals.

Tatsumaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tatsumaru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm kinda jealows. :)
My family always been really poor, so when PS1 had 2 years of realease, I still had a Super Nintendo. :lol:
I could only get those realese consoles after I started working, so unfortunatelly I could never even touch a 3DO back in the day. Not only because of that tho, the 3DO wasn't officially realesed in Brazil, so I wasn't aware of it existence untill I got myself a PC and Internet.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Tatsumaru wrote:I'm kinda jealows. :)
My family always been really poor, so when PS1 had 2 years of realease, I still had a Super Nintendo. :lol:
I could only get those realese consoles after I started working, so unfortunatelly I could never even touch a 3DO back in the day. Not only because of that tho, the 3DO wasn't officially realesed in Brazil, so I wasn't aware of it existence untill I got myself a PC and Internet.
At least you got one finally though and realize it's a cool little piece of Kit! :wink:

I played Crash N' Burn when it first came out. I remember saving the money for a 3DO because of that. Took me a bit, but I finally got one. I was so impressed by the colors on the screen with that game as I had never seen anything like it. The way the game moved for it's time and it looked so awesome. My first games were Crash N' Burn, Dragon's Lair, Way of the Warrior, and Escape from Monster Manor. Been loving the system ever since.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Anth
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Anth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Do you guys remember when you first noticed that the clouds in the sky were moving? I was blown away by that. Sure, they were pixely clouds, but still. At that point, in late 1993, I don't believe I had ever seen clouds in the sky move like that. It became common to see that on various PC games and stuff a few years later, but that was pretty new for a console game at the time.

Even playing it today, I look at the moving pixelated clouds and smile... :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Anth wrote:Do you guys remember when you first noticed that the clouds in the sky were moving? I was blown away by that. Sure, they were pixely clouds, but still. At that point, in late 1993, I don't believe I had ever seen clouds in the sky move like that. It became common to see that on various PC games and stuff a few years later, but that was pretty new for a console game at the time.

Even playing it today, I look at the moving pixelated clouds and smile... :)
I'll give you that. We were sold 'realism' pretty hard, but touches like that made us believe right?