Tried these controllers?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 am

Trev wrote:You think? If anything I think the Magic Power one ,with its cheap looking rainbow buttons, is more nursery appropriate. I mean, just check out the colors ... blue, red, green, and ... baby diarrhea? :P
I agree it looks fruity, but the buttons look (at least in style and quite likely material) to be more like normal arcade microswitch buttons. I'd even bet it uses microswitch buttons, whereas the rock probably doesn't (which gives it a very hollow, non-arcade-authentic feel). Anyone here tried both? Can we verify how the buttons are on these?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Personally I think they are both hideous. But it would be nice to have a controller with microswitches. A modded Panasonic joystick would look sleek.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am

And how about this pad?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm

A 2 button controller for 3DO ... :?

Looks more like an Nes or TG16 pad.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Trev wrote:A 2 button controller for 3DO ... :?
Hey, it has everything you need to play Brain Dead 13, Psychic Detective, Icebreaker, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, and Myst. In fact, the "B" button is surplus for most of those.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:A 2 button controller for 3DO ... :?
Hey, it has everything you need to play Brain Dead 13, Psychic Detective, Icebreaker, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, and Myst. In fact, the "B" button is surplus for most of those.
:lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 am

Silentman wrote:And how about this pad?

That can't be a legit 3DO controller, can it? It's gotta be a mislabeled Master System controller.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 am

Looks like a controller to a Famiclone to me.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 am

FrumpleOrz wrote: That can't be a legit 3DO controller, can it? It's gotta be a mislabeled Master System controller.

It's not. That controller was in an auction with a Panasonic FZ-1 system, where the seller thought it belonged with the 3DO console.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 am

i converted this controller to work on a 3do

what do you think? ;)

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 am

Looks like a lot of fun! :twisted:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:30 am

Lemmi wrote:i converted this controller to work on a 3do

what do you think? ;)

surely the cable is going the wrong way? :oops:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:45 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Lemmi wrote:i converted this controller to work on a 3do
what do you think? ;)

surely the cable is going the wrong way? :oops:
you can move the cable, its just like that for a better picture :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Just spotted a similar Saturn controller as the wonky GS one found on page 1 of this thread: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-SS- ... 2a1c1d3953

Wonder if it's by the same company?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:48 am

Looks similar ...

vestcoat
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vestcoat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Terrible, terrible, 3DO controllers.

Here are some of my run-ins (with pictures!):

Fighting Sword: I thought this would be the perfect 6-button controller. It's LOOKS similar to the Hori Fighting Commander PC for the PC Engine, which is excellent. Unfortunately, the Fighting Sword sucks. The whole thing feels cheap, and yeah, there's no input for a second controller. I bought a brand new one and out of the box it didn't even fit in the controller port; I had to shave the top corners of the plug off with an x-acto knife. Then one of the buttons didn't work. And some of the settings on some of the turbo switches. Upon further investigation, I realized the internal metal guidance tabs that set the turbo switch settings weren't aligned properly. With careful trial and error bending the metal tabs, I got all of the buttons/switches working except for one button which still doesn't work on non-turbo mode. Another drawback to this controller that the switches are too close to the d-pad and tend to get bumped and activated during play.

Gamepad6 by Performance: I got one of these used in a lot. It was DOA. I couldn't figure out why. Recently sold it for junk.

Interact SV-1200 ProPad: There's been a bunch of these sealed on ebay lately. I bought one. DOA out of the box. I checked the usual suspects. No leaking caps. Curiously, only four of the pins on the female plug seem to be used. There's a nice y-adapter for a second controller at the end of the cord, but that doesn't work either. Finally, the button layout is kind of dumb - the forth button duplicates X, not P like other "6-button" 3DO pads.

3DZero SNES Controller Adapter: Hey, something that works! The only drawback here is that it only has one SNES port, the second input is for a 3DO controller, so you'll still need a 6-button solution for 2-player Street Fighter. Otherwise I have no complaints. A little glitchy with my ASCII pad, but seems to work with 3rd party controllers.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:11 am

I also have a 3DZero and have to say it's very nice. I would be weary of the other adapters as I recall there was mention of them on the forum of having a delay.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:54 pm

I use the adaptor from Tototek usually for my 3DO, it lets you use the Playstation controllers.

Or i use the megadrive adapter, so i can use those controllers.

I hardly ever play with a 3DO-specific controller anymore, as they all are lacking in one way or another, usually the d-pad.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Anyone know a good place to find or buy a good (or any condition) joystick for a 3do? I really would like one for super street fighter 2.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Do you mean an actual joystick as in arcade stick, or a gamepad (regular controller) with 6 face action buttons? I assume you mean a gamepad, and i really dont have any good advice for you. Of those 3-4 different ones i have, all really have awfull dpads or other flaws in the design which makes them less than ideal. Your best option, in my opinion, is to buy a 3do adapter for the ps2 controllers from tototek, and then track down one of the ps2 capcopm fighting controllers. they are basically sega dreamcast replicas, and are supposed to work really well.

As for arcade sticks, i personally use the panasonic one released in japan only, for fighting games on the 3do. it is good, heavy and responsive. It will work well for most people. They can be found on ebay pretty often. There are other makes of arcade sticks for the 3do, but ive never tried them out, and they do show up on ebay as well occasionally.

In either case, to start looking, ebay will do it for you.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm

If you mean one like this you can find them on ebay but you'll end up paying over $100. For a better price try Yahoo! Auctions Japan. There is an auction going on right now. Just search for 3do JS1.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 am

I bought mine from a Japanese seller on Ebay. Even w/the killer s&h costs, it still worked out to be quite a better deal. And when I arranged with him to ship it the cheapest way possible, it turned out to be even cheaper ... took forever to arrive, but worth it imo. If you go Ebay, look for a non U.S. seller.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 am

Something I have always wondered--On the Panasonic joystick, does the stick use micro switches? Or is it that soft/mushy feel like on the NES Advantage stick?

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Fri May 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Just any controller good for fighting games.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CJZEPP » Fri May 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 am

Austin wrote:Something I have always wondered--On the Panasonic joystick, does the stick use micro switches? Or is it that soft/mushy feel like on the NES Advantage stick?
Whilst i have not taken it apart, it certainly is clicky like a micro switch stick.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 pm

grimm wrote:Whilst i have not taken it apart, it certainly is clicky like a micro switch stick.
That's good enough for me!

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 am

3DO Experience wrote:Image
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 17, 2012 3:38 am

LOL