IF DOOM had been as good on 3DO as it was on Jaguar . . .

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sat May 21, 2011 7:56 am

This is very cool, thanks for the hint! I own the book "Vintage Games" where
he was a co-author and it's really worth reading! Bought it some years ago and almost forgot about it.
(Taking it from my shelf, blowing the dust off, coughing).
I like his style!

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon May 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Burger Bill was named for his habit of buying a ton of burgers during the dev crunch period and hoarding them in a desk drawer, taking up to a week to go through them. An office greeting would be to say "Bill" to him, and he'd reply "Burger."

I asked Romero how accurate Masters of Doom was. He told me 100%. He and Carmack had final say before it was published. And it is a very cool book.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 pm

Oh yeah, Burger also created the ultimate polish to the old Bard's Tale games. Play Dragon Wars if you haven't.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 am

Ha, I had heard that story back in the mid nineties. Never did meet him. When did he become a she?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm

I have just played Doom on the 3DO for the first time, and yes it does run at a pretty slow framerate. One thing I don't understand is why do you have to put in a cheat code to get full screen? I assume it is because of the low framerate, but I didn't really notice it being any slower than it was without full screen. The ability to even be able to change screen sizes on the game is laughable. I guess on the PC changing the screen size lower might have improved performance on a low end machine, but this is a console game! Everybodys 3DO runs at the same speed. Give me Wolfenstein 3DO over 3DO Doom anyday!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 am

To be honest, it would have been nice if the Saturn version had that option. Then maybe it would have been enjoyable (it's not as bad as the 3DO version, but still pretty bad). I guess what I am saying is that it's good the option is at least there in the 3DO one. Had it not been, I doubt any of us would have actually completed the game... :lol: