Wow moments on the 3DO?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Wow moments on the 3DO?

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 pm

The pre-hype to the 3DO was huge and I think my excitement peaked during that year between the US and UK release - I knew I just wanted one.

However, when I got one, Shockwave and Total Eclipse were my first games but they weren't wow. By that time Ridge Racer in the arcade was out Sega awesome looking Daytona was out and my expectations were higher. Shockwave and Total seemed like really good PC games but not Ridge Racer wow-jaw-drop-wow.

Wow did come in the guise of Need For Speed for me and Wing Commander III. Later, much later, Dr Hauzer wowed me when I realized how advanced it was and so did PO'ed.

Did Crash 'n Burn wow you guys?

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri May 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Crash n Burn definitely. Played it as a Best Buy kiosk.

I actually didn't end up owning Crash n Burn until a few years ago.

I still think Shockwave II is what kept me buying 3DO games.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 pm

I never actually played Showckwave or Crash'N'Burn. Shockwave in particular was on my wish list, due to being a huge War of the Worlds fan and Shockwave was most definitely inspired by it.

My first wow moment (I got my 3DO the Christmas the FZ-10 came out) was Wing Commander 3 and my first interaction with the actors (in particular the Kilrathi pilot) and my first space flight - just simply awesome stuff! But to be honest there was so much of the 3DO which just blew me away! The various graphics when playing music CDs and the demo of PO'ed and Bladeforce stand out too, as does Pebble Beach. I remember being really sucked into that, the first a golf game had ever done that for me and the realism of the golfers and the presentation of it was incredible!

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Sat May 28, 2011 12:23 am

Seeing Need for speed in action did it for me 8)

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 am

I wish I played a 3DO when it could "wow" me. I didn't get one until after I had a Saturn and was already doing a hefty bit of Quake on the PC by that point, so it didn't impress me when I got it. It was like, more of the same of what I already had.. Now that I think of it, that was probably three or four years after the system originally came out. I digress.. I still had a blast with the 3DO, and continue to do so today.. :D

In retrospective though, had I experienced the 3DO when it was new, I am certain I would have been completely floored. Crash 'n Burn, Need For Speed, Alone in the Dark, whatever. To put it into perspective, Virtua Fighter on the 32X made my jaw drop (it was my first "3D" game asides from the ones found on the SNES). So yeah.. The 3DO, in '93/'94. I would have been amazed.

Doskias
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Doskias » Sat May 28, 2011 4:43 am

Crash N Burn, Madden, and Road Rash all gave me that 'wow' moment.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sat May 28, 2011 8:20 am

I remember seeing Madden 3DO on an old Equinox programme on Channel 4 and Road Rash on Gamesmaster... knocked my socks off even on TV! Never got round to playing either back then, until now... :)

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 pm

how did Sega and Sony get away with using the 3DO version screen shots of games like WCIII, Space Hulk, Need For Speed and a bunch of others on the boxes of thier ports?...thats "false advertising" isn't it?
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Dr.Enceladus wrote:how did Sega and Sony get away with using the 3DO version screen shots of games like WCIII, Space Hulk, Need For Speed and a bunch of others on the boxes of thier ports?...thats "false advertising" isn't it?
Not necessarily, as long as it states it somewhere on the box, no matter how small. It was the same when Amiga games started to become popular, when I went to buy a C64 game that was multi-format there'd inevitably be a very small bit of text on the back of the box somewhere; "Amiga screenshots."

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Starfighter and Need For Speed. And FIFA 96, although I don't like soccer games.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

="3DwhO

Not necessarily, as long as it states it somewhere on the box, no matter how small. It was the same when Amiga games started to become popular, when I went to buy a C64 game that was multi-format there'd inevitably be a very small bit of text on the back of the box somewhere; "Amiga screenshots."

yes, it does on some of them, it says something about the SS's of the (this) game may vary from the cover art to actual game in very-very small text...props to 3DO!!...very sneaky me thinks!...not that i actually own any of the poor quality ports from 3DO to Saturn or PS1... :roll:
Last edited by Dr.Enceladus on Sun May 29, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sun May 29, 2011 2:52 pm

:!: ..

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun May 29, 2011 3:14 pm

I remember those days. Probably a byproduct of the home computer boom. Who wants to design six different boxes and pay six different printing setup fees when a sticker in the corner would do?

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Post by avanteproject » Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 am

I was still wowed by the 3do when I bought one last year. I think it's because the system was underpowered compared to the Saturn and PS1 but there are a lot of games that look better on 3do.

I was surprised when I played Starfighter and saw how smooth it all ran and the fact you could go so far in to the sky with no slowdown or drop in detail. I still get it with a lot of consoles but mostly the 3do and Jaguar. It's like 'Wow! I didn't know it could do that!'
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon May 30, 2011 4:20 pm

The eight bit world suffered the most. You're buying the C64/Spectrum moment but that's the arcade version.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon May 30, 2011 11:02 pm

the only wow moment ive ever had (that i can remember) is when NHL hockey came out for the Genesis. i was playing the TG16 hockey game before that for 6 months

ive had more COOL! moments than WOW! ones

0 WOW! moments for the 3do, but plenty of COOL! ones
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 31, 2011 2:20 am

My first WOW moments on the 3DO were Escape from Monster Manor, the photographed sprites looked beautiful. It amazed me and I wasn't sure if it was claymation or prerendering at the time. HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller was another. On the PC all the video shots were these little windows and they were fullscreen on the 3DO, plus the game was uncensored which surprised me for a console. Wing Commander III did impress me, but for the video compression, not the actual game.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 am

3DO Experience wrote:My first WOW moments on the 3DO were Escape from Monster Manor, the photographed sprites looked beautiful. It amazed me and I wasn't sure if it was claymation or prerendering at the time. HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller was another. On the PC all the video shots were these little windows and they were fullscreen on the 3DO, plus the game was uncensored which surprised me for a console. Wing Commander III did impress me, but for the video compression, not the actual game.
Indeed. Monster Manors sound and animations were indeed wow. The audio was particularly wow.

Spacehulk, when the gene stealers got up close was astonishing too.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue May 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah, Space Hulk is awesome.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"