Goldstar
5%
Other (Sanyo, 3DO Blaster etc....)
3%

Total votes: 37

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 pm

It looks great! :) So it uses full hardware 3D acceleration with texture mapping and lighting effects at 300 polygons, right?

Did you write that program in assembler code?
What would you say how many polygons at the same time
are possible on the 3DO?
Oh, and is there a download link for that demo (encrypted)?

So many questions... :)

Nikk3do
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Nikk3do » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Jones wrote:It looks great! :) So it uses full hardware 3D acceleration with texture mapping and lighting effects at 300 polygons, right?
No, 300 polys per scene, but actually rendered much less - about 150-200 polys (some polys is backface, so skipped).
Jones wrote:Did you write that program in assembler code?
No, in C lang. At that demo I dont use any optimisations аnd I made ​​a mistake in the structure of polygons - does not set a flag to start a second corner engine. So that the frame rate in this example is not the maximum.
Jones wrote:What would you say how many polygons at the same time
are possible on the 3DO?
I write some perfomance test samples and found that the real rate of pixel processing is about 9.2 million pixels per second. So, if I use 530 polys in scene (32 pix in width and 32 pix in height, 6bpp, distorted) then framerate is about 16-17 frames per second.
Jones wrote:Oh, and is there a download link for that demo (encrypted)?
If this is interest for you, I will try to upload that sample a little bit later. Some samples missed now, but I will try to find on my HDD. I just learning 3DO architecture now, so some samples is just stages of this process.

Update (1):
This sample a little bit different than sample on video. Those sample completely lost, so I reassemble target image from source with small changes.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0catuk4x6wnq7mg

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 am

Well, the presence of a microcontroller does not help my position on copy protection at all :lol: .

I am still amazed that they would bother with implementing copy protection that late in the life of the system. Even more so that they decided to do it with the addition of a microcontroller which is/was an expensive way to get things done.

I still think that they were (at least) two hardware revisions for the 202p. One with copy protection and one without. I am going to ask for pics of the motherboard on the other unit my Russian contact has.

Nikk3do
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Nikk3do » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:14 am

bitrate wrote:I am going to ask for pics of the motherboard on the other unit my Russian contact has.
It will be just fine! My guess about the copy protection has not been confirmed accurate facts, only indirect evidence. History requires accuracy!

Vyper68
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vyper68 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:34 am

I have a 202P produced May 1995 i can strip it and upload a picture of the motherboard if you need a picture. It doesn't play CD-R's but i haven't tried the swap trick to date either so if i do strip it i'll give it a go when i do. The CD-R's are playable as they work in Freedo.
I have a cunning plan.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 am

Nikk3do wrote: I write some perfomance test samples and found that the real rate of pixel processing is about 9.2 million pixels per second. So, if I use 530 polys in scene (32 pix in width and 32 pix in height, 6bpp, distorted) then framerate is about 16-17 frames per second.
So realistic numbers are (if I do the maths correctly) about 9.000 texture mapped polygons per second with a 530 polygon scene at 17 fps - that's really good for the 3DO, I think! :)
Nikk3do wrote:This sample a little bit different than sample on video. Those sample completely lost, so I reassemble target image from source with small changes.
This is great, thank you!! Looks even better on real hardware at home! :)
With my NTSC 3DO I get 19-20 fps.