How did you end up here?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

How did you end up here?

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Lot's of the long term regulars on here came from my old 3DO blog, others I guess stumbled across the forum via Google looking for 3DO.

What about the rest of you? I'm just wondering. :)

I came here after I run a 3DO blog, albeit badly written. I was asked to start a forum because the comments on the blog got so long, then Devin from CDInteractive offered to host it, so here I am.

I bought a 3DO on launch day in the UK, which I still have. The 3DO was the most exciting console I ever bought, from the first screen shots, it simply appealed to me. Also the first console I owned, after being a Amiga/ST/Spectrum/Electron guy since the age of about 13. We had a 2600 but my dad found that in 1982, falling off the back of a lorry. [ahem].

I have games I had back in 1994, that I lugged from house to house, (I used to move a lot 12 years ago) and in 1999 i started buying, in a half interested manner, bits and bobs from Shops and off of the internet related to 3DO. Nothing fancy, just what I could find. Which wasn't much in the UK.

I ran some other websites on some esoteric subjects in the early 2000s, and always managed to have a niche that made them popular but in 2004 I abandoned them, after seeing the light, but still wanted to do something web related. I work in the Internet, played games, loved 3DO, so...

I ran this site for a while: http://will20970.tripod.com/ which was just a compatibility list, with a few teeny reviews and some screen shots. I enjoyed it. And I decided in 2005 opened up my main blog. The first few reviews are aweful, as are some of the later ones, but I loved it. I was really encouraged by the comments and posts made by the members here. It's nice to do something, no matter how bad, that people seem to like. Especially from all over the world.

Gir Draxa's and 3DO Today's websites were my absolute favourites at the time. I miss Gir's enormously, just because it was partly my inspiration and the exotic games he had for the 3DO I found exciting to just look at, but even today, when feeling nostalgic, I browse the 3DO Today website.

Anyway, considering the topic, and my appalling writing, which improved I felt over time, the blog did really well. I got a little notoriety from it. I was asked to write a column on a bigger website, which I enjoyed, but I didn't get the same fun from that to be honest. It was the blog that I enjoyed.

I wrote this in 2007:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/01/jag ... h.php#more

In 2008 the Blog peaked at around 12,000 unique visitors a month. Which I was modestly proud of. I mean, it's a bit scrappy in places :) and the subject is very narrow but...

The blog is now dormant mostly and I have idea's for other things, but time and work restrict me but that's changing, so who knows :)

Anyway, what you lot doing here?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I've been here almost from the start (the 1st month it started) I think the sister CD-i forum directed me, but I did also frequent your blog (though I never posted comments to after joining here)

Will type more after kidney stone pain passes ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm

I had done a lot of 3DO trading in the past and I had seen a post by Gir Draxa selling off duplicates of his collection but I didn't get anything off of him. A year or two later I found the 3DO Collective as well as the CD-i Collective and recalled the name so I emailed him to see if he had anything left for sale.

A few days later 3DOKid emailed me about my web page listing what I had and what I wanted. He told me about this place so I checked it out and became a member June 24th 2007. Back then there were around 50-60 members. Boy has this place grown.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:54 pm

I believe Lemmi and I were talking over at AtariAge about 3DO and he told me about this place. We had 15 members over here at the time. :D

I believe I had already found the blog before joining here though.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 pm

the 3dokid asked me to come here, after posting on his blog

but i saw an infomercial back in the day and then i saw the price of it in a magazine so i forgot about the 3do untill april 1997 when funcoland opened up in my area. bought a goldstar 3do and many games from retail stores liquidating their 3do items, by the end of 1997 i had 2 systems (Goldstar and a brand new FZ10 ) and 42 games and a $5 starterkit for the 3do. played it on and off for a few years untill late 1999 when Everquest took over my life for 2 years.
i then started collecting more seriously in 2002 when i discovered places online to buy games i wanted. then i stumbled upon 3dokids blog and i have no idea how i found it or what i was originally looking for when i found his blog

I believe Lemmi and I were talking over at AtariAge about 3DO and he told me about this place. We had 15 members over here at the time.
that sounds about right :)
Last edited by Lemmi on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah, I had read 3DOKid's blog before coming here, it easily came up when googling for 3DO.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 am

I just recently purchased a 3DO and fell in love and just had to find a place to talk about it :P But I had watched 3DO Kids Top 50 games video a long time before I actually owned a 3DO console. Back then I was watching it to see which games I should try out on Freedo.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 am

I believe it was late '09 and 3DOKid had posted a link to this forum over at AtariAge. I went ahead and joined up here.

A personal story, I had actually been out of collecting for a while. After going through a low point and selling all of my platforms (not entirely by choice), a few months before joining this forum I began re-obtaining some of my older consoles. That led me to start making [really poor] YouTube videos talking about games and systems, and that hobby in itself gave me the kick to gather hardware more seriously again. The 3DO was on the list of things to re-obtain and I purchased my FZ-10 right around the time of joining this forum, or a month or two thereafter. Like many platforms of the '90s, it was one I experimented with quite a bit and had quite a few memories of it, and I was looking to try out those other titles I had not played before.. Needless to say, this forum has been host to a ton of interesting information that I probably never would have discovered elsewhere, not to mention some crazy [cool] people.. :P

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:55 am

Remember seeing some 3do adverts on tv when i was about 7 years old, and well i bit the bullet and bought a 3do a few months ago and i love it :D

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 am

Well for me I read about 3DO in magazines as a kid and always wanted one but over the years it seams like life has distracted me on more than one occasion. Recently though I really started to gain an interest in old home video formats, had been building up for quit some time, and I stumbled across the CD-i forum looking for Video CD info and was directed here by the few who continue to frequent over there as this places seamed more lively. As of right now I stick around because partially I am bored, partially I like the discussions and cuz I continue to have questions regarding 3DO, Video CD, and other related topics in general.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 am

I'd really like to find a VCD add-on for my Goldstar for a reasonable price, but that is much easier said than done. :(

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 am

I think I came here either from word of mouth or it was a recommendation from THE BLOG. Either way i heard about one of the two from someone one of those chat channels on EFnet that.... umm distributes data.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

erm, my mum n dad had sex i guess...oh, sorry, :oops: , you mean how did i get here!

well, I was trying to find the walk through for Dragons Lair, you know, up here, left there, sword, sword, right...i used to be able to finish the game in five mins or so without a death, my little boy (three or so at the time) used to clap his hands n laugh hard when i got that all important kiss from the princess at the end, but i haven't played the game in so long i could not remember what to do. That bloody lizard king scene is a killer.

i found you bunch of rascals via google...thats my excuse anyway n i am sticking with it. :lol:
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:11 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I had done a lot of 3DO trading in the past and I had seen a post by Gir Draxa selling off duplicates of his collection but I didn't get anything off of him. A year or two later I found the 3DO Collective as well as the CD-i Collective and recalled the name so I emailed him to see if he had anything left for sale.

A few days later 3DOKid emailed me about my web page listing what I had and what I wanted. He told me about this place so I checked it out and became a member June 24th 2007. Back then there were around 50-60 members. Boy has this place grown.
You sure bout that? :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Rust
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rust » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 pm

The power supply in my FZ-1 has been dead for years. I ended up here after searching for alternative information sources when Panasonic blew off my request for advice or a circuit diagram.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Trev wrote:You sure bout that? :wink:
You know I thought it was you when I go back in my emails I see one from him.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Searching for a 3DO community. And what did I get?
A REAL 3DO community.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I can't remember how I first found out about 3DO, but I do remember reading the early issues of EDGE, ordering back issues and a binder etc and loving it, until what I like to refer as the "Sony payoff" lol ;)

I had the FZ-10 and only a handful of games but adored every second I had with that machine. Just as well too, since the FZ-10 was still deemed expensive and so I had to sell my Gameboy and give my mum and dad the money to go towards it for Christmas!

I'd been collecting the 3DO Magazine for the whole previous year too, and in hindsight I really don't know how I had all that patience! I loved 3DO and was gutted when it didn't work out in the end. But it had a great few years and all these years later I'm starting all over again, only this time with an income and the ability to actually buy all those games I always wanted!

At the beginning of 2010 I bought the Retro Gamer Videogames Hardware Handbook, a brilliant read if you can find it by the way. I originally had intentions of buying every machine in it, starting from the earliest... until I realised that was a pipe dream on my wages and instead invested in this lovely machine: 8)

I still kept the 3DO in my searches on eBay but they were always going for a large sum of money so I concentrated on the C64. But I've started selling a lot of crap on eBay and found myself with enough money in my PayPal account that I just took the plunge and bought a FZ-1 and FZ-10 in an auction.

I was actually just looking for a fan site, somewhere to see what info there was about on all the other games that weren't in the 3DO Magazine Gold edition and #15 (the only things to survive from the 90s for me), and I found this forum instead! :D It was through the forum that I discovered 3DOkid's blog (I know, I appear to have done things in reverse) which I now use as my info centre when checking out "new" games to buy :)

Can I just say however, I know I haven't been here long - still a newbie and all that - but I've frequented very few forums in my time as I'm quite picky, but this is by far the best community I've experienced in all my online years!

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Post by avanteproject » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I bought a 3do early last year and wanted to find a place to discuss the console and it's games. I looked on google for 3do forums and this is the only one that looked alright.
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:41 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Trev wrote:You sure bout that? :wink:
You know I thought it was you when I go back in my emails I see one from him.
Hmmm ...

I remember cutting and pasting some stuff from your site (I think it was a list of your soundtracks) Somebody (I think T2K) was like "invite 'em" and I either already had, or did shortly after. I think a while after you joined you even found the link and were like "so this is how I found this place". I am heavily medicated tough, so my memory is not the best ...

One other thing I wanted to mention about this forum was that it reminds me of special times. See, I had just gotten engaged to my wife when this forum opened. I remember explaining to her what 3DO was, why it was my favorite, how happy I was to find others who enjoyed it as much as me, etc ...

Here I am, 4/12 years later. My wife is now a 3DO fan, and I'm still visiting my favorite forum! :D

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:32 am

I found this forum through your Blog, and cool it was too 8)

Rincewind
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rincewind » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:56 am

I don't remember, just like I also don't remember ever drinking that counterwise-wine.
Sapient Pearwood?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51 am

3DwhO wrote: this is by far the best community I've experienced in all my online years!
That's awesome! :D